Read 3018 times

• Eros
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 02:43:24 pm
    • Korea
My Boss
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:26:58 pm »
Something I need to get off my chest.

Cleaning. My main co-teacher says I must clean the English classroom which I'm ok with. However the extent of that cleaning is ridiculous. I with the aid of another English teacher and 6 students vacuum, mop, dust, sweep etc the English classroom 5 times a week. The after school teacher is also doing the same in the other English classroom. My co-teacher however insists that the room is dirty and must be cleaned more. ???

[I've already covered the tedious tasks that often take up much of my time in another post so I won't write them here. But suffice to say it's a nightmare.]

Right now, I'm trying to grin and bear it but very soon I'm about to confront her about it. As she doesn't understand me, I will have the other English teacher translate [yes I know how insulting this will be but to be frank she insults me every day with her attitude towards me].

I just want to know if anyone else has heard of cleaning in this manner. My co-teacher insists all Korean teachers do it but I am yet to see one with a mop. Am I being unreasonable?

• daveb
  • Super Waygook

• March 07, 2011, 10:08:52 am
Re: My Boss
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:32:51 pm »
Just do what you think is reasonable and do no more. If your boss cracks the sh*ts...just smile and politey say ''it's ok''. If you think you are being taken for a ride - then don't put up with it...otherwise, you know it will happen again and again. Nip it in the bud - inch and a mile and all that jazz... 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:35:28 pm by daveb »

• CMTC
  • Veteran

• October 29, 2010, 02:41:12 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:36:05 pm »
That sounds OTT and possibly she is just trying to show her authority.
At my school the children clean their homerooms and hallways and even our office, it mainly just seems to be sweeping.
I haven't seen the teachers clean.
We don't have an English classroom.
5 times a weeks is excessive.
I wish you luck.

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:47:49 pm »
I think that maybe she is not saying that "you" specifically have to clean the room, but the students. I supervise 4 students that clean my English Zone everyday. I am not required to anything but make sure that they do their work.

Perhaps this is what she is wanting you to do?

As for the insults, a good cold stare should do the trick. You don't have to say anything just look at her directly when she insults you and give her a cold stare. Honestly, this will prompt the needed conversation.

• BBetz1985
  • Veteran

• May 10, 2010, 02:07:45 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 12:54:48 pm »
Same boat at my school...Shit rolls downhill, so perhaps she is getting it from the Principal or Vice Principal and dishing it off to you. Your only responsibility is to make sure the students take care of the class. Keep it rolling.

Also, the students may work a little better with some background noise, so don't hesitate to play some music, or some TV while you are taking care of business. I have found my students give more effort and seem to enjoy the task a bit more with some MoTown background noise.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 12:58:49 pm »
I also have to clean my English classroom 5 times a week but its because of the principal. My CT cleans our English World area and  i do the classroom. It takes about 20-30 minutes EVERY day. We have to stack all the chairs, sweep then hoover the floor (Yes, both!  ??? The principals 'rule'...her hobby is cleaning...I kid you not! :o ) followed by washing it, THEN waxing it. Then replacing all the chairs cleaning the desks and the white boards.

Luckily the Kids (3 elementary 5th graders) I have helping me now have got a great system and do it faster every day! BUT this is also an issue because if she (Princess Principal) comes by at 12.35 and we are finished she assumes we haven't done it right!  >:(

I don't mind too much hanging out with the students usually cheers me up, we always play some cheesy music to try and make the cleaning a bit fun!  ;)

• Eros
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 01:27:36 pm »
Irishcailin that is extreme. Far worse than my situation. I'm cleaning as best I can and if my co-teacher continues to insist on more I might need to ask for a demonstration so that I can be shown exactly what is expected of me.

As ever, cheers for the advice. Sometimes you feel like you're the only one out here in the Wild East.

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 01:57:48 pm »
I don't want to sound condescending, but have you tried having your classes of kids clean up the room before they leave?  A roomful of 36 can clean a room in a fraction of time that it takes 7 people.

I understand that it's easier said than done too of course; I taught elementary and I hate to say it, but sometimes I needed that 10min break just to breathe. 

@Irishcailin, spot on advice.  When I cleaned up my English room, having music was my saving grace.  I usually cleaned it alone, but sometimes the students' mothers would help me out once or every other month.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:05:07 pm by robyoung3484 »
You get what you give :)

• Vincent
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 12:02:22 pm
    • korea
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 02:01:37 pm »
we clean the english zone everyday ourselves to an extent  - i.e sweep /dust things down and then we get the kids in to do their part too - usually more sweeping/mopping

if the room is too dirty the kids do less work  - if its ok they generally do the job well and quickly

they also respond well if the teacher is helping to clean rather than directing them all the time

• S.Lee
  • Super Waygook

• January 24, 2011, 01:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 02:28:48 pm »
ive never been asked to clean up my classroom from either of the 2 schools i've worked at. I'm pretty sure its for the students to do part of the culture.

the extent of my cleaning goes as far as cleaning any white/chalk boards I use, and keeping my office desk clean (thats more for me)

I would probably make my stand at vacuuming AND hoovering the floor.

• dchrzano
  • Veteran

• September 12, 2010, 06:41:39 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 02:40:29 pm »
I do all the cleaning in my classroom without the help of the co-teacher, it's just me, including washing windows, scrubbing ink off desks etc. but I don't mind because it makes my atmosphere better and I enjoy being in a clean environment. But you can always just say that you are an English Teacher and not a school cleaner as nowhere in your contract does it say you have to do that. I think it is all up to your individual preference. I also agree with the posters above, you can always assign students to do it as well after all they are the ones who make the mess.
De

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 02:48:55 pm »
What bollocks. The class in the classroom nearest my ER is tasked with cleaning it. A few students from it are tasked with vaccuuming, dusting, etc. It's part of their HR responsibilities just like another class might get tasked with cleaning the stairs. Talk to the teacher in charge of the cleaning schedules about getting enough students to do the job.

• Eros
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 02:49:00 pm »
The students after every class are made to clean up after themselves and as I say, there's myself, another teacher and the handful of students who clean and as I say I don't mind the fact I have to clean. The problem is the extent of that cleaning. No matter how spotless the place is, she still says it's untidy. I am minded to ask her to clean and then the typical stuff she does afterwards to criticize our cleaning, I am minded to do unto her to show her that it is not possible to have the classrooms in a constant state of sterilisation. With the exception of Irishcailin, it seems my coteacher is the toughest on cleanliness.

As an aside my co-teacher does walk around the classroom asking students to sit with their backs straight as they write out the same vocab word several times in silence. If it wasn't for the Hagwons these kids attend, I dread to think what their English level would be like.

• Vincent
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 12:02:22 pm
    • korea
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 02:55:59 pm »
yeah she sounds a bit springclean for Hitler alright  - it's a bit extreme moving all the damn chairs ad polishing the floor

our floor gets polished 2 times a year if they're lucky and not by us - industrial cleaners come in

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 03:11:20 pm »
Co teacher is not your boss. The principle is.  She is just another teacher, just like you.  Why is she telling you what to do? Tell them no.  You should clean up your environment, dont wait to be asked, but dont wait to be told what to do.  I wouldnt put up with demands or orders like that.