Read 8197 times

Re: Korean student calls in bomb threat...at Harvard
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 11:21:16 am »
The Dean needs to send him back to Korea and, hopefully, notify the authorities that he's eligible for military service.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKS0GVvoE9I
He is an American citizen so he can't be sent back to Korea.

"Prosecutors said they were initially concerned that Kim had dual American/South Korean citizenship, but later learned that he had renounced his Korean citizenship when he became an American citizen in elementary school."
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2013/12/18/harvard-student-ordered-stay-away-from-campus-after-federal-court-appearance/51baSmxXPeIpCy2dzVVvXP/story.html

He renounced his Korean citizenship? Then they'll fry him for this. No free trip back to Korea with a "Don't do it again" warning.

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 11:52:02 am »
Korean thought process when a Korean does something bad:

- undue concern that one bad Korean will bring great shame and lost face to Korea in the eyes of Westerners
- realization that Westerners don't care about things like that because we aren't Korean
- circling the Korean wagons to make excuses for Korea and blame the West

Example: Korean media discussion of Asiana crash

Yes, that sounds right.  Let's just generalize a whole country because the Korean media and a few people had a biased discussion about the Asiana crash. 

By that argument, since MBC likes to publish anti-foreigner crap, this must mean Koreans hate foreigners.  I mean, if a news media publishes it, it MUST mean the general population feels that way too, right?

A few people? This is literally what the Korean media did:

- Right after the crash: hand-wringing articles about Asiana's blow to Korean pride, full of quotes of Koreans saying it had brought shame on their country.

- Now, several months later: blaming Boeing and the SF airport despite a pretty clear lack of daily Boeing crashes at SFO.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 11:52:25 am »
He is a US citizen now, according to CNN.
I'd rather spend 1000 winters in Korea than have to deal through one more summer.
~Unknown waygook.

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 11:59:04 am »
I was asking my coworkers the other day. Do bomb threats happen in Korea? Whether they do or not, no body takes them seriously. Just like the fire alarm.

Don't be ridiculous, of course it's a cultural thing. American society over-reacts to threats (north Korean missile program anyone?), so bomb threats make more sense in America.
This guy lived in America long enough to be influence by American culture.

Obviously if he never moved there things would have turned out differently.

Do't get me wrong I'm not defending this culture or ripping another, but he would have dealt with things differently here because of cultural differences. Here suicide or bullying others is a common way of dealing with exam stress, not bomb threats.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:50:52 pm by sejongthefabulous »

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2011, 11:02:04 am
    • Korea
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 12:07:06 pm »
Korean thought process when a Korean does something bad:

- undue concern that one bad Korean will bring great shame and lost face to Korea in the eyes of Westerners
- realization that Westerners don't care about things like that because we aren't Korean
- circling the Korean wagons to make excuses for Korea and blame the West

Example: Korean media discussion of Asiana crash

Yes, that sounds right.  Let's just generalize a whole country because the Korean media and a few people had a biased discussion about the Asiana crash. 

By that argument, since MBC likes to publish anti-foreigner crap, this must mean Koreans hate foreigners.  I mean, if a news media publishes it, it MUST mean the general population feels that way too, right?

A few people? This is literally what the Korean media did:

- Right after the crash: hand-wringing articles about Asiana's blow to Korean pride, full of quotes of Koreans saying it had brought shame on their country.

- Now, several months later: blaming Boeing and the SF airport despite a pretty clear lack of daily Boeing crashes at SFO.

First off, I didn't say "a few people."  I said the media AND "and a few people."  Please re-read my post and notice the part I just underlined.  So I know it was more than just "a few people."

Second, it's the Korean media that talked about shame on their country and blaming Boeing and the SF airport.  Just because several media outlets said it, that doesn't mean Koreans feel the same way.  It's not fair or justified to generalize a country just because of what the media did or published. 

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

• September 28, 2013, 07:48:34 pm
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 12:55:00 pm »
When I was doing my undergrad, there was this one kid who had been to jail for calling in a bomb threat (I heard that some girl he liked told him to back off). As he told it, the judged was so impressed with his intelligence that he agreed to release him on parole if he attended university. The kid was odd and deeply insecure, always interrupting the teacher with questions. He'd read the book and then ask questions about material the professor hadn't covered yet. When he ran out of "good" questions, he'd come up with questions a kindergartener would ask (he once asked why snow melts faster on the sidewalk than on grass). He was such a nuisance that during a class he was absent, the professor suddenly stopped as he was writing on the board, turned around, and said, "It's refreshingly quiet today".

• a87
  • Super Waygook

• July 21, 2013, 12:31:10 am
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 01:40:43 pm »

Not to go off-topic but yeah, most Koreans don't like foreigners and would rather we aren't here. Especially SE Asian farm workers and others. Thinking anything else is completely naive.
Take that apologists!

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2011, 11:02:04 am
    • Korea
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 01:43:24 pm »

Not to go off-topic but yeah, most Koreans don't like foreigners and would rather we aren't here. Especially SE Asian farm workers and others. Thinking anything else is completely naive.

I don't doubt that, but I just wanted to make a point that using the media to represent the whole isn't fair. 

Hell, how would Americans look if outsiders used Fox News to represent us?

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2013, 02:10:56 pm »

I don't doubt that, but I just wanted to make a point that using the media to represent the whole isn't fair. 

Fox News is the most popular and viewed news channel in America. It's the clear voice of the social conservatives. It's as American as the M16 assault rifle, McDonalds or Walmart. In anycase it's certainly not German.
I think we can make cultural judgments  based on the most popular 'news media' channels. I don't think all Americans are Fox News fans and I don't think all Fox News views are fans or agree with everything they say....the fact that millions of people watch it in that country cannot be ignored when noting cultural tendencies and trends of some Americans.

Anyway media is a fair reflection of a nation's cultural opinions and beliefs as long as it's not some loner with a HAM radio or a website. If 10% of the population watches their broadcasts or reads their briefs at least once a week that's a sizable amount of the population tuning in. It's not like they live in North Korea where the government news is the only news.

Cultural influence and significance is a lot more important and sometimes not as obvious as people realize. It's way too easy to generalize and people only like it when they think it's good.  I don't think making excuses/apologizing because of it is fine, but I think drawing conclusions and being ignorant because of it is okay.

• alainbut
  • Veteran

• February 27, 2013, 12:08:10 pm
    • Bundang, South Korea
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 02:12:23 pm »
A boy like that will not do well in prison.

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 02:35:42 pm »

Fox News is the most popular and viewed news channel in America. It's the clear voice of the social conservatives. It's as American as the M16 assault rifle, McDonalds or Walmart. In anycase it's certainly not German.
I think we can make cultural judgments  based on the most popular 'news media' channels. I don't think all Americans are Fox News fans and I don't think all Fox News views are fans or agree with everything they say....the fact that millions of people watch it in that country cannot be ignored when noting cultural tendencies and trends of some Americans.

Anyway media is a fair reflection of a nation's cultural opinions and beliefs as long as it's not some loner with a HAM radio or a website. If 10% of the population watches their broadcasts or reads their briefs at least once a week that's a sizable amount of the population tuning in. It's not like they live in North Korea where the government news is the only news.

Cultural influence and significance is a lot more important and sometimes not as obvious as people realize. It's way too easy to generalize and people only like it when they think it's good.  I don't think making excuses/apologizing because of it is fine, but I think drawing conclusions and being ignorant because of it is okay.

The problem when it comes to Korea is that these days the government has a huge say in that the mainstream media can and can't print. I don't think its a particularly good reflection upon Korea as a whole, but it is certainly a good insight to the views of those with power

And on the other side, the few remaining media outlets that are not influenced by the government usually are rags for the opposition leaders.

Its an interesting reversal to say the least. In western countries the media outlets are often accused of having too much power over our politicians, while here it seems to be the exact opposite. The politicians have too much power over the media.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 01:09:43 am »
Well, as sensitive as everyone is to terrorism these days, this fool not only screwed his future, but he will undoubtedly be doing time. And he won't do well in gen pop, I imagine.