4.Seongbukdong
5.Gangnam.
6.Others.

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Re: Which area in Seoul is the best for foreigners to live in? and why?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:21:10 am »
I feel like the question needs rephrasing; maybe to something like 'where is the best place for foreigners to live for ease of use?' or 'where is the easist place to live?'. Someone's perspective might be the best place for a foreigner to live is where there are the least amount of foreigners so they can assimilate better, and someone might be thinking the best place to live for ease of transportation, or for ease of buying (food, clothing, etc.)
For me it's a combination of transportation ease, and less foreigners (not none, just less). I live in Geumcheon-gu (southwest) and I love it because it's very easy to get everywhere in Seoul (except NE Seoul) in under 35 mins (or less most times). I find since my area is not on the tourist track for Seoul I get treated really well. People want to help me or just be randomly nice to me.
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• misskris
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 02:46:41 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:54:55 am »
tahts really hard to say!!

depends on what you like to be close to, how much you want to pay for rent, what your interests are...

I live in Gangnam and I love it.  Easy to get to a lot of places that I personally enjoy.  Lots of people love living in Haebangchon, but you may not want to be "immersed" in the "western" culture there and have a more typical korean experience.

In my opinion,,, as long as you are close to central Seoul where as its easy to get around to many places.... popular neighbourhoods don't really matter!
I have friends who live near Wangsimni station and absolutely love it!
Find a good apartment , with reasonable rent, and easy access to the city and go from there

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:17:24 pm »
Haebangchon/Itaewon. I understand the criticisms about being immersed in the Western Culture, and I'll admit that applies to HBC more. But I've lived in Cheolsan and Mokdong for a year each; I've had my "Korean experience" and now I want to live in a place that offers some different things. Take a walk in Itaewon and you'll be able to hear a bunch of different languages and try cuisine from around the world. There's always something different.

The immigrants came to Korea too late in the day and (before now) too slowly to claim our little pockets of the city where we are marginalised and resented before our townships became somewhere that yuppies visit on the weekend (Russians in Dongdaemun and pockets of Chinese all over the city being among the small exceptions). Perhaps Itaewon is similar to an American-style immigrant community as an compartmentalised, artificial construct; but it's not just America-town anymore. It's WorldTown. The African Ministries down the back street. The Arabs, Turks and South Asians lining the street leading up to the Mosque. A Bulgarian restaurant, ferChrissake!

As long as I don't stay blinkered to the attractions of the other parts of this great city, there's something appealing about the experience of being part of an immigrant community. I've never done it before and I'm enjoying it (despite all the accompanying drama/bullshit). I don't know what a "Korean experience" is, but when I first came here two years ago I wanted to live somewhere different; I did and I loved it. After two years, I want to live somewhere different and Itaewon gives me that in lots of different ways.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 09:27:21 am »
Good call travller. If I was staying another year, I'd want to move to Itaewon or the HBC for the reasons you mentioned. If it's your first year in Korea, live in the suburbs somewhere (Beomgye, Bucheon, Bundang, Cheolsan, etc) because it's easier to meet people there I feel. All rookies fresh off the boat and excited to see Korea.

After a few years, when you've been to Slang too many times and know everyone in your neighborhood, move to the middle of the city. I'd move there simply for the ease of getting everywhere else in the city, while having all the comforts of an international city right there.

Let's be honest, pretty much every neighborhood in Korea is the same, except for Itaewon/HBC  If you don't live there it doesn't really matter where you live.

• Aventine
  • Adventurer

• March 26, 2011, 02:38:39 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 09:38:20 am »
If you want to live in a bigger place for less wolsae or no jeonsae then definitely Kyeongridan, HBC or Itaewon.  Having a 3 bedroom and a bathtub definitely improves quality of life.  The transport links can't be beat either.  Besides, alot of areas in these places are still very Korean.  Bokwang dong behind Itaewon and Wolfhounds is a great example of how Korea is/was.

• chrispan
  • Waygookin

• February 23, 2011, 01:36:54 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 06:46:21 pm »
Thank you guys.
I will most probably move to HBC or Itaewon area. I agree that most area in Seoul is the same.

• frappps
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2010, 11:10:07 am
    • Ethiopia
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 08:32:00 pm »
It all depends on what you're looking for.

If it's the party/drinking scene during week days: HBC / Itaewon will suit you well
If it's a quiet area but accessible to party: I suggest somewhere in western Seoul such as Mok-dong, Omokgyo or Mullae-dong.
If you just want to just left alone: somewhere in Northern Seoul like Hongje or farther out will serve you perfectly.
If you want to be ballin': Gangnam, Apgujeon, etc will be perfect.

It all depends on what type of lifestyle you prefer.