Read 1981 times

• peebster04
  • Explorer

• December 17, 2013, 01:12:30 pm
    • Philippines
Will be studying in Korea in February
« on: December 17, 2013, 01:18:46 pm »
Hi I'm new here :) and I just go accepted to a university in daegu south korea uhm I have some questions

1. Is it hard to find an apartment there? my budget would be $100, is "bedspacer" allowed in Korea?

2. I will be arriving in february  what kind of weather should I expect

3. my allowance won't be coming until the end of my first month, how much money should I take with me upon arrival

4. is it hard to go back and forth inseoul coz I'm a kpop fan and I want to at least see a live music show even once

5. my course is 16 months but the scholarship will only give me allowance for 12 months because the last 3 months is for thesis, is it possible to get part time jobs so that I wouldn't starve for those 3 months

thank you everyone please take care of me :)

• lobotronic
  • Veteran

• November 25, 2011, 05:42:08 am
    • South Korea
Re: Will be studying in Korea in February
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 01:57:41 pm »
Are you filipino?  the term "bedspacing" is usually used in the philippines...anywa y!

Google "goshiwon" and "hasukjib" . here is a good blog post to get you started, though it focuses on Seoul. http://sarahinsouthkorea.blogspot.kr/2012/06/accomodation-for-students-hasuk-jib.html

your housing budget is too low. You won't find anything for less than 300, 000 won and that will likely be a closet with a bed in it and a bathroom shared with 12 people. Hasukjibs are a bit nicer, as they often come with meals and less roommates.

In February it is COLD. Like REALLY COLD. March and April are cool but fine, and then the weather is disgustingly hot until October.

How much money you should bring is up to your individual needs, but you may need a deposit for whatever housing you find (you may need to stay at a hostel or motel for a week until you hit the pavement and find a room). Your food budget will also depend on what kind of housing you get. Hasukjibs offer 1-2 meals a day and your uni will have a cheap-ish cafeteria. Go on facebook and search for a Daegu University group and ask for recommendations on living places and g\food budgets.

Daegu to Seoul is a few hours by bus (maybe 2? 2.5? I don't live there, not sure) but concert tickets are VERY expensive (like anywhere from 80k, 100k, even 130k won for a ticket. on a student's budget you are gonna have a tough time).

Contact your embassy in Korea (google "country name" embassy Korea) and ask them what you can legally do on your student visa.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:00:05 pm by lobotronic »

• peebster04
  • Explorer

• December 17, 2013, 01:12:30 pm
    • Philippines
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 02:10:34 pm »
thanks and yes I am a filipino :) really appreciated your reply

• Jgrat
  • Super Waygook

• May 16, 2011, 06:14:29 am
    • Siheung
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 02:15:02 pm »
1. $100 - not even close unless you put a sizable ($40,000 key money deposit) downpayment. Think closer to $500-$700 a month ($1000-$2000 Key money deposit)
2. Depending on personal preference. I'd say chilly but tolerable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Seoul ...  http://wiki.galbijim.com/Daegu_(Climate)
3. Depending on preferences. Food $5-$15 a day, Transportation (Bus, Subway) $1-$2 per trip depending on distance. It's all relative but you can range from $250 for your first month (eating pot noodles, drinking tap water and 1 bottle of straight soju a day) to $600 (decent food, flavoured beverages and anything other than soju).
4. Easy $20 bus ticket each way about 3.5 hours.
5. Your only chance for part-time work here will probably be foreign owned restaurants or language teaching/tutoring. There is a preference for Native language teachers (example: Teach English:UK, US, CAN, IRE, AUZ, NZ, SA. Teach German: GER, AUS, SWISS), since you didn't mention your nationality OP, I'll let you decide if you qualify. That's not to say that if you are not a certain nationality you can't tutor someone. It will just be extremely difficult to find a job and you will probably have to discount what you charge or "adopt" a new nationality.

• Jgrat
  • Super Waygook

• May 16, 2011, 06:14:29 am
    • Siheung
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 02:19:18 pm »
Too slow to post.. forgot the goshiwon's. Thanks Lobo. and since you're Filipino, peebster you can probably find English tutoring but you'll have discount since you're competing with a lot of other people. Unless you have awesome Korean skills then try to hit the regular job market.

• Khanate
  • Veteran

• May 11, 2011, 08:05:38 am
    • Montreal
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 02:35:19 pm »
1. Considering how money seems like it will be a problem, go with a goshiwon at 300$ or so a month. Hasukjib would be nicer and provide some food, but would increase your baseline budget and force you to go back home for meals.

2. Weather information is on wikipedia.

3. You seem to have underestimated heavily the cost of housing, make sure to not underestimate how much you will need.

4. Transportation + tickets will run you 100k-150k easily, good luck.

5. If you are going for grad school, then I should warn you that most people do not finish within the "suggested" time. On top of that you will have a hard time finding a part-time job. Get your approval to do part-time work on top for your student visa early and hit all the hagwon for temp positions.

To be honest, you will have money problems and should aim at saving as much as possible before coming over and use as little as possible while here.