Read 3001 times

I know one of the requirements for the E-2 visa is to get a medical check at a Korean clinic within 90 days after you arrive in Korea. But can I get the medical check in the states prior to coming to Korea? If so, do I just need to make sure I get a blood and urine test, chest x-ray, drug test, and HIV test? I know this was allowed when I got a visa to study abroad in Korea 2 years ago, so I was wondering if I can do the same this time to teach. It'll be great if I can do it here in the states first since the insurance I have right now covers a free health check-up, so if I can do it here, I won't need to pay for a medical check again in Korea. FYI, I'm doing this for a hagwon and not public schools if it makes a difference. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Also...I've been looking around everywhere for an "official" list of E-2 visa requirements from the Korean government itself, but all I've found are just lists made by recruiting companies. I've looked on the "Hi Korea" government website but didn't find anything helpful. :/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:43:50 am by silverstarlalala »

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
Re: E-2 Visa: Can I do my medical check/clinic visit in my home country?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:30:22 am »
 You are better off getting in Korea. If you have any trace in your urine to suggest that you have smoked pot you will not only lose your job but you will be deported. Same with HIV. Don't sweat it if you have something like High blood pressure or diabetus or High cholesteral. Most Koreans over forty have at least one treatable condition due to stress and high sodium diets.

• misskris
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 02:46:41 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 10:03:58 am »
I believe you must get it done once you arrive in Korea.

Different hospitals charge different prices, so you can ask around about how much the test costs.
I used to work at a hagwon, and they actually paid for the test for me. Public school did not.

Before I came to Korea, I used to check the Korean consulate's website in my hometown for details about required documents(Toronto).  Hopefully your embassy/consulate has that information available.   perhaps google the phone number for the immigration office in Korea.  They will definitely give you the most up to date information.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 12:00:07 pm »
The medical check is only for immigration, and it's basically just an excuse to do an HIV test and a drug test. Immigration is going to want to see the test results in Korean, from a Korean medical provider. It was 50,000 won to do one for public school which isn't that much to just get it out of the way. I don't think it's worth the trouble of arguing with immigration to get them to accept a non-Korean report, or making your future co-workers angry at having to call immigration to ask them a million questions just because you're cheap.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 12:02:36 pm »
The medical check is only for immigration, and it's basically just an excuse to do an HIV test and a drug test. Immigration is going to want to see the test results in Korean, from a Korean medical provider. It was 50,000 won to do one for public school which isn't that much to just get it out of the way. I don't think it's worth the trouble of arguing with immigration to get them to accept a non-Korean report, or making your future co-workers angry at having to call immigration to ask them a million questions just because you're cheap.

Tides may be changing. At least with SMOE, who from this latest renewal rounds have states that drug and HIV tests are not required
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 01:16:35 pm »
That is for contract renewal applications, AFAIK the HIV and drug test are still required for new public school hires. In any case OP is going to work at a hagwon. I dunno what hagwon contract renewals would require but that's not being asked about here.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 03:08:09 pm »
can I get the medical check in the states prior to coming to Korea?

No. You must have the test done in Korea at and by a Korean government approved institution....so even if you got your test done at Johns Hopkins Hospital, Korean Immigration (and the MOE) will not accept it.

Sad but true.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 03:44:40 pm »
That is for contract renewal applications, AFAIK the HIV and drug test are still required for new public school hires. In any case OP is going to work at a hagwon. I dunno what hagwon contract renewals would require but that's not being asked about here.

Yes, sorry...you are right about the contract renewal vs new hires. oops.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 10:02:04 pm »
Thanks for all the helpful replies! I'll make sure I get it in Korea then.

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 04, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 09:31:21 am »
Also...I've been looking around everywhere for an "official" list of E-2 visa requirements from the Korean government itself, but all I've found are just lists made by recruiting companies. I've looked on the "Hi Korea" government website but didn't find anything helpful. :/

Check the website for the embassy or consulate that you are getting your Visa issued at.  They will have a list on there of what they require as a part of your application for a Visa.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you