Read 1019 times

• vionne
  • Adventurer

• March 08, 2012, 10:31:15 am
    • pohang, south Korea
PhD while in Korea
« on: December 16, 2013, 01:05:39 pm »
Hello!

I am looking for information on doing a PhD (in the field of English) while working in Korea. 

Does anyone have experience with this? In Korea or correspondence... (I have searched on Waygook but could only find info on Master's..)

Fffffanks...

Re: PhD while in Korea
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 02:25:00 pm »
Have you tried checking the university sites regarding the requirements and such?

• MoneyMike
  • Super Waygook

• November 22, 2009, 03:45:15 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 02:33:09 pm »
Hey.

The Korean government actually has a pretty generous scholarship program for foreign PHD students. As I understand it, if you're accepted they pay your tuition and you get about 900k per month as a stipend to live on. The only downside is that you have to do 2 semesters of Korean language classes before you start studying for your phd, but I'm pretty sure that's all paid for too. (I think it's two semesters of Korean, but it might be a bit more or less)

I don't know how to apply, but the program is there.

• vionne
  • Adventurer

• March 08, 2012, 10:31:15 am
    • pohang, south Korea
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 02:49:35 pm »
Wow, that sounds great! Thanks for all the info and suggestions, guys... Also looking for programs outside of Korea -  UK / USA correspondence maybe? Anyone with any experience? Or knows someone who has done it / is currently doing it?

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 02:51:24 pm »
Hey.

The Korean government actually has a pretty generous scholarship program for foreign PHD students. As I understand it, if you're accepted they pay your tuition and you get about 900k per month as a stipend to live on. The only downside is that you have to do 2 semesters of Korean language classes before you start studying for your phd, but I'm pretty sure that's all paid for too. (I think it's two semesters of Korean, but it might be a bit more or less)

I don't know how to apply, but the program is there.

http://www.niied.go.kr/eng/contents.do?contentsNo=78&menuNo=349

I've been looking into this, too. But for my Master's. I think almost all of the school that are included in the scholarship program have English PhD programs. Hope it helps!
But I'm not a marine biologist....