Read 23318 times

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
Re: Showing movies during Winter Camps: is it considered 'lazy' teaching?
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2018, 07:51:13 am »
That's what I told my Co-T last year.

:police: Look, we don't want to be here, the kids don't want to be here..........

>:( *looks like I just killed a sacred cow*

:police: so let's try to have a lot of fun, and the English can be by accident.

>:(  *face just looks like this anyway*  Okay.

I must've read this at least three times before I realized you wrote "sacred cow," not "scarecrow." I was super confused until it clicked. I was thinking "So like... does she just really like scarecrows or something? Is it a Wizard of Oz thing?"

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2018, 07:56:42 am »
I think it depends on your camp. I teach more than 3 hours a day for five days and usually end with a movie on the final day.
For the first four days though I find the kids want activities, games, challenges and more beneficial stuff but I don't see anything wrong with ending the camp with a movie and snacks.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2018, 08:05:00 am »
If some of you are really concerned then pass the idea to your co-teacher.  If you tell them that your are only going to show movies on the last day or the last week they should be fine with it.  Regardless if you get the kids to fill in a worksheet about the movie or not.  If you are just popping in dvds for all 18 days of the camp then I can understand why that could be a problem.  Movies are not bad as long as it's not a crutch for actual working and as long as it's in English.  Popping in a Korean movie is a big no no at my school.  If your teacher says NO MOVIES/YOUTUBE whatsoever then play hide and seek outside with the kids or play heads up 7 up or play board games.  There are relaxing things you can do with the kids during camp.   And if that gets vetoed too....well try switching schools because I don't see why anyone needs to be a hard a** during a time when people are SUPPOSE TO BE ON VACATION!!

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2018, 08:56:09 am »
Popping in a Korean movie is a big no no at my school.

It's funny you say that... My first school, I can still remember my CoT getting pissed at me, because I showed a Beyonce' music video ("If I were a boy")--which, mind you, fit the grammar of the lesson (second conditional)--yet, at the end of the year, she popped in a Korean movie for the kids that depicted drug use, alcohol use, and excessive violence. Why was she pissed at the Beyonce' video? Because the kids could see Beyonce's shoulder.

Anyway... back to topic... I completely agree with you. A little chill time could do this place some good... as long as it isn't all you're doing, I don't see why it should be a problem.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2018, 10:52:59 am »
Popping in a Korean movie is a big no no at my school.

It's funny you say that... My first school, I can still remember my CoT getting pissed at me, because I showed a Beyonce' music video ("If I were a boy")--which, mind you, fit the grammar of the lesson (second conditional)--yet, at the end of the year, she popped in a Korean movie for the kids that depicted drug use, alcohol use, and excessive violence. Why was she pissed at the Beyonce' video? Because the kids could see Beyonce's shoulder.

Anyway... back to topic... I completely agree with you. A little chill time could do this place some good... as long as it isn't all you're doing, I don't see why it should be a problem.

Yep double standards.  My co-teacher at my travel school said I wasn't allowed to play more than 5 mins of a youtube or movie in class but then yet I walked in on her class one time when it wasn't my day with her and I saw that she put on a Korean movie for the kids to watch.  In her defense, she was doing it as a way to keep the kids occupied while she tested kids individually and she thinks the "no youtube/movie" rule is stupid too but it was something that was told to her by the higher ups.  So yeah double standards suck  :rolleyes:   

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2018, 12:59:57 pm »
Well if showing a movie during winter camp is considered lazy then I'd say that winter camp is lazy too. Winter camp exists not for the purpose of furthering the education of the students but as means for the parents of children to get free baby sitting. Why pay for a baby sitter with your own hard earned cash when you can send them off to school and have the foreign teacher 'earn' their salary instead of letting them have a vacation like the Korean members of staff?

Home alone is always a good one to show. 
Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2018, 01:40:10 pm »
Why pay for a baby sitter with your own hard earned cash when you can send them off to school and have the foreign teacher 'earn' their salary instead of letting them have a vacation like the Korean members of staff?
Why do they hate us lol

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2018, 02:08:08 pm »
Guys like I said:  There are other things going on at school that don't have anything to do with English.  The kids that sign up for these camps aren't solely coming just because of us.  I don't know how your school is set up but at my main school are Summer/Winter camps go till 2:30 and I only make up 2 or 3 hours of the entire day.  The rest of the day is for other activities planned.  I'm not the sole reason why the kids are there.   Last year for winter camp I only saw the 6th grader for 2 weeks and the final week they stopped having English class and had Coding class instead.  I welcomed it because that group of 6th graders last year was a doozy.  They did however miss out on a viewing of the Lorax and Inside Out.  Which by the way I don't suggest Inside Out, lots of tears and hugs had to be given for that movie LOL :-(
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:11:43 pm by Piggydee »

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2018, 03:11:36 pm »
Winter camp exists not for the purpose of furthering the education of the students but as means for the parents of children to get free baby sitting. Why pay for a baby sitter with your own hard earned cash when you can send them off to school and have the foreign teacher 'earn' their salary instead of letting them have a vacation like the Korean members of staff?

The Korean teacher in charge of planning the camp / submitting paper work related to the camp gets paid a high wage for each class hour the camp is in session. (They are supposed to be co-teaching the camp, too, but sometimes they just take the money but don't show up, unfortunately.) Which means the education office is paying a lot of money for the camps. It's costly to them. So no, it's not thought of as babysitting by the education office. There's an expectation for a lot of learning to take place.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2018, 03:18:45 pm »
Winter camp exists not for the purpose of furthering the education of the students but as means for the parents of children to get free baby sitting. Why pay for a baby sitter with your own hard earned cash when you can send them off to school and have the foreign teacher 'earn' their salary instead of letting them have a vacation like the Korean members of staff?

The Korean teacher in charge of planning the camp / submitting paper work related to the camp gets paid a high wage for each class hour the camp is in session. (They are supposed to be co-teaching the camp, too, but sometimes they just take the money but don't show up, unfortunately.) Which means the education office is paying a lot of money for the camps. It's costly to them. So no, it's not thought of as babysitting by the education office. There's an expectation for a lot of learning to take place.

Seriously can we get away from the "they hate us, they think we are off to Thailand to go molest people" narrative.  We are on a totally different contracts than the Koreans.  If they really hated us they would gut the entire English program and fire us all.  Seriously! 

« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2018, 03:21:21 pm »

Oh God don't get me started on that.  Yeah I've seen the eye watering overtime my CTs have gotten paid in the past for doing absolutely nothing.

We are on a totally different contracts than the Koreans.

Agreed, but getting paid overtime and not coming to the classes isn't fair.

On the subject of movies, I say when in Rome...

The teachers at my school play the sh*t out of movies and Youtube during term time, so I think showing a movie during camp is fine  ;D

« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2018, 03:40:35 pm »
If you do worksheet activities related to the movie.....then I don't think that's lazy.  I teach two week camps with the same students for all two weeks (three hours a day).  You better believe I'm going to show one movie.  I think in general it is a good idea not to show too many movies.

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2018, 08:13:23 pm »
camps by definition are lazy teaching. just show a movie. basically do anything that fills the time without you having to plan or do much. camp = baby sitting

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2018, 08:29:18 am »
Guys like I said:  There are other things going on at school that don't have anything to do with English.  The kids that sign up for these camps aren't solely coming just because of us.  I don't know how your school is set up but at my main school are Summer/Winter camps go till 2:30 and I only make up 2 or 3 hours of the entire day.  The rest of the day is for other activities planned.  I'm not the sole reason why the kids are there.   Last year for winter camp I only saw the 6th grader for 2 weeks and the final week they stopped having English class and had Coding class instead.  I welcomed it because that group of 6th graders last year was a doozy.  They did however miss out on a viewing of the Lorax and Inside Out.  Which by the way I don't suggest Inside Out, lots of tears and hugs had to be given for that movie LOL :-(

Maybe at your school / some other schools.
At my school, there is only English camp. The school is literally a ghost town during vacation, outside of English camp.
During English camp there is: The teacher's secretary, the headteacher (no VP at my school), 1 of the office staff, myself, and the students that show up for camp.
When English camp isn't happening, same as above minus the students.

It's literally been like this for all the schools I've worked in here too. When I lived in a bigger city, it was the same.
Bare bones staff, and English was the only camp in the school.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2018, 12:36:37 pm »

I've had the opposite.   Every school I've been at as had a medley of activities going on during summer/winter vacation time.  And I've worked in three rural public schools.  :huh:

At my school, there is only English camp. The school is literally a ghost town during vacation, outside of English camp.
During English camp there is: The teacher's secretary, the headteacher (no VP at my school), 1 of the office staff, myself, and the students that show up for camp.

It's literally been like this for all the schools I've worked in here too. When I lived in a bigger city, it was the same.

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2018, 12:44:21 pm »
I think taking some camp is required for students plus parents love them because it's really cheap daycare. For my camps, I always do activities all week long until the last day then make it a movie/food/reward day. Most schools want you to have a lot of activities planned so they can show the parents that it's educational (it doesn't matter that it's basically daycare for the parents so they can go to work). I'd pack your schedule with lots of activities and if you only end up doing half of them, that's fine. The kids are having fun + learning so it's a win win for most people.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2018, 12:59:45 pm »

Also, I'm not certain if this is always the case, but I know that the parents of my middle school kids pay pretty steep fees to place their kids in weekend camps and summer/weekend camps so I guess there are expectations from that end as well.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2018, 01:18:12 pm »

I've had the opposite.   Every school I've been at as had a medley of activities going on during summer/winter vacation time.  And I've worked in three rural public schools.  :huh:

I've worked in the biggest middle and elementary school, in a decent sized city, and am currently working in 3 tiny, rural schools in the middle of nowhere.
None of them have set things up during the vacation for the students, other than the English summer / winter camp that I do. :o (2 of my 3 schools don't even do that. Vacation time is vacation time there). :o
And at my main school. The head teacher, might do some planning for the beginning of the next semester / school year. But mostly, everyone is just watching dramas / movies, and waiting for any phone calls (this part is mostly on the Korean staff).

« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2018, 01:33:17 pm »
All of the schools I've worked at save one had no one at the schools during camps except for a couple of people in administration who have to be at the school anyway.

It was not until I was assigned to my current main school that I've witnessed KTs not only teaching their own extra classes during my camp period but also being required to by the school.

I'm pretty sure my main coT still gets paid extra to coT during my camps, though, even though she has her own classes to attend to, making it impossible for her to be there.

Not that it matters very much, I've never had a coT during any of my camps and I'm used to it, but I'll admit that I'm a bit resentful that KTs get paid extra for camp time and we don't despite us doing all of the work. I probably feel especially salty about it because I've had so many experiences with KTs acting like I was the one being shady whenever I called them out on trying to steal my vacation days or OT hours from me. Like if you're going to be hellbent on always assuming the worst about me and giving me the stink eye for wanting you and the school to follow the ****** contract, then it's only fair if I give you a ton of sideeye for not walking the walk.

I would LOVE it if the education offices made NET feedback a thing because I feel like this would help cut down on a lot of the bullshit, but it would only be effective if the education offices actually analyzed and took them seriously. As it is, the people in charge don't care and just see it as more work. NET feedback isn't important to them. It should be as it would actually save the education offices a ton of money because certain shady dealings would come to light as well as certain inefficiencies would become more obvious, but, for now, the powers that be aren't able to recognize the value. They probably wouldn't believe a lot of the stories we'd have to tell them and just blow our feedback off as "lies" or "misunderstandings" anyway.

Even at an EPIK conference there was a certain gyopo coordinator who was very quick to make it clear that she always believed the KTs' sides of stories and that NETs are either just too sensitive or immature. It never seemed to occur to her that maybe not all KTs are honest, lol. And this is why I record shit. All the ****** time.

Saving it all for if and when NET feedback ever becomes a thing (again). Will totally submit all of my files.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:20:14 am by Chinguetti »

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2018, 01:41:52 pm »
All of the schools I've worked at save one had no one at the schools during camps except for a couple of people in administration who have to be at the school anyway.

It was not until I was assigned to my current main school that I've witnessed KTs not only teaching their own extra classes during my camp period but also being required to by the school.

I'm pretty sure my main coT still gets paid extra to coT during my camps, though, even though she has her own classes to attend to, making it impossible for her to be there.

Not that it matters very much, I've never had a coT during any of my camps and I'm used to it, but I'll admit that I'm a bit resentful that KTs get paid extra for camp time and we don't despite us doing all of the work. I probably feel especially salty about it because I've had so many experiences with KTs acting like I was the one being shady whenever I called them out on trying to steal my vacation days or OT hours from me. Like if you're going to be hellbent on always assuming the worst about me and giving me the stink eye for wanting you and the school to follow the ****** contract, then it's only fair if I give you a ton of sideeye for not walking the walk.

I would LOVE it if the educational offices made NET feedback a thing because I feel like this would help cut down on a lot of the bullshit, but it would only be effective if the educational offices actually analyzed and took them seriously. As it is, the people in charge don't care and just see it as more work. NET feedback isn't important to them. It should be as it would actually save the education offices a ton of money because certain shady dealings would come to light as well as certain inefficiencies would become more obvious, but, for now, the powers at be aren't able to recognize the value. They probably wouldn't believe a lot of the stories we'd have to tell them and just blow our feedback off as "lies" or "misunderstandings".

Maybe someday, though.

I mentioned this in another thread, but the office of education in my old town, actually used to get NET feedback.
But, they didn't take it seriously, so they never done anything with it, sadly.