Read 3250 times

• star32569
  • Adventurer

• September 01, 2012, 12:35:37 am
    • Pensacola
Just wondering, title says it all. Left one area was offered a job in another. Do they have a way of finding out or should I leave that school I left off my application.  One was with epik this is another area near Seoul. I have read if you don't want credit don't bother mentioning it and other sources say recruiters are cool and understand.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
Re: Left one public school with a midnight run, applying to new province
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 03:33:14 am »
your best bet is to leave it off your app. but even if it is on, there is no guarantee they will call your prior school to get the deets.

also, just because it is off the app, does not mean they can't find out. i.e. word of mouth, speaking with other programs/foreigners/recruiters, or calling immigration. will those happen? hiiighly doubt it.

and now my own uncalled for judgment.  if you ran from a hagwon, I'd say okay give it a go at public. But since you ran from a public, I really don't think you should be trying again.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 03:45:14 am »
ah, seems you have quite the tale to tell.

got moved from first school to another
pulled a midnight run from 2nd school
want to assist rather than teach.
upset to work extra hours.
attempted to take sick days and vacation days to get out of contract early.

there are other ways to travel around the world. what you are applying for is a paying job where you will have responsibilities.

I know there are those who really want to do this job, perhaps leave the position open for them. give couch surfing a try, I hear its all the rave.

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 07:51:01 am »
ah, seems you have quite the tale to tell.

got moved from first school to another
pulled a midnight run from 2nd school
want to assist rather than teach.
upset to work extra hours.
attempted to take sick days and vacation days to get out of contract early.

there are other ways to travel around the world. what you are applying for is a paying job where you will have responsibilities.

I know there are those who really want to do this job, perhaps leave the position open for them. give couch surfing a try, I hear its all the rave.

A gentleman and scholar with that response, couldn't have said it better myself.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 07:56:42 am »
You pulled a midnight run on a PUBLIC SCHOOL via EPIK? May the ESL gods of Korea have mercy on your employment prospects. Go to China or go home!!!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:00:05 am by kingkeiser »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 08:02:37 am »
Word on the street is that you'll probably never work for a public school again.

Your name will be on the record, maybe you can slip in somehow, but I highly doubt it.

• nimrand
  • Super Waygook

• April 07, 2013, 07:40:28 am
    • Lawrence, KS
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 08:35:29 am »
I've heard that some provinces will get you blacklisted for getting a new VISA in Korea.  But, baring that, I'd say it's possible, but unlikely that they'd find out, so long as your applying through different programs.  There's no centralized database of NET applicants anywhere, and it would take forever to get through application if they spent all their time calling every other program in Korea and asking "have you heard of so-and-so?" for each application.

I would carefully consider if this is something you want to do.  I don't know your circumstances, so I won't judge.  There are some outright nightmares of a job out there, even in the public school system.  But, if you were treated halfway decent, and just didn't like the job or location, etc, I'd think very carefully about why you think it will work out differently this time around.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 08:46:03 am »
From your previous posts, it seemed like your school wasn't the best, but that your main complaint was that you were leading classes and teaching as opposed to just being a human tape recorder. That's probably not going to change.
NOTORIOUS D.G.P.

• TylerDurden
  • Veteran

• May 08, 2011, 07:49:57 pm
    • Sanbon South Korea
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 08:50:47 am »
Granted I had a horrible year 4 years back at a public middle school, but I stuck it out and at the end of the contract they hired someone new.  The school I've been at since then in awesome and they wouldn't trade me for anyone else.  In any case, your 'midnight run' makes the rest of us look bad.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 08:55:00 am »
If you are on employment sponsored visa such as E2 don't worry immigration will tell them all about it. There is a small chance they won't bother or your former school lied about you running away when explaining why your visa was cancelled.

If you are on F visa, there is a decent chance the MOE will communicate this information as you will already be in the system.

They don't take kindly to midnight running. Try a hagwon because those people make their hiring decisions case by case and maybe you can still sell yourself to someone.

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 10:13:46 am »
Whatever you do, don't claim a higher wage for the time you DID work. Proof of employment becomes a lot more important when you want financial recognition for it. I'm assuming that's why you were debating putting it on your CV at all. If there is nothing to gain and everything to lose then why would you bother mentioning your previous employment?