Read 5127 times

• taewon
  • Super Waygook

• July 04, 2012, 12:00:38 pm
    • Seoul
Guns Korean
« on: December 11, 2013, 08:26:35 pm »
Why does every gun I see look like a scratched up relic from 30 years ago? The guys carrying these things around - security and police look like they bought them second hand and could not fire! I understand that only vetted people can carry these but what if they have to fire? They are scratched up and look like they went with washing cycle a few hundred times. I have many guns and would never carry a weapon looking like this! Is it because its just for show? Koreans are so good at appearance, but fire arms are amiss
"One year they asked me to be poster boy - for birth control."
Rodney Dangerfield

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
Re: Guns Korean
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 09:26:15 pm »
Probably since Koreans aren't in love with owning guns or firearms like Americans are.  I would be most cops haven't had to use one besides for training. 
I love that about his country.
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• 한소로
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 07:50:46 am
    more
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 07:58:58 am »
Probably since Koreans aren't in love with owning guns or firearms like Americans are.  I would be most cops haven't had to use one besides for training. 
I love that about his country.

I agree 100%. I didn't live in the best neighborhood in the States and it was quite terrifying to hear gunshots while I was walking to my car. There was even an "Unsolved Mysteries" episode dedicated to a killing on my own street.

I'm totally fine with the cops having crappy guns. If they can't fire, even better.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 07:59:16 am »
I've never seen a police officer carrying a firearm while walking about, and I believe that it is illegal for any type of private security personnel to carry guns in public.

Those guns that I actually have seen (when I visited a Korean friend of mine at a military base, and at the Daegu range) were pretty shiny. Guns are 'special' enough here that people seem to take pretty good care of them.

Maybe you had the misfortune of noticing a bunch of slackers? Report them to their superiors and score some brownie points!  :wink:

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 08:09:50 am »
Lol, reminds me of the movie Paul. How did that go?

-The police got guns over there?
-No.
-Well, how do they shoot people?
-They generally try not to.
But I'm not a marine biologist....

• toddc06
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2011, 10:37:54 am
    • Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 08:29:52 am »
I know the guns the OP is talking about.  I'm not going to get into a gun debate or anything but I believe it was a bank manager I saw carrying it with a little stretchy cord connecting it to his body in case somebody tries to snatch it.  It looks like a little six shot revolver.

In contrast to the rest of Korea, have you seen the heat the security dudes (maybe just police officers in tactical gear) at the airport are packing?  Very intimidating  :shocked:

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 08:33:14 am »
I've never seen a police officer carrying a firearm while walking about, and I believe that it is illegal for any type of private security personnel to carry guns in public.

Those guns that I actually have seen (when I visited a Korean friend of mine at a military base, and at the Daegu range) were pretty shiny. Guns are 'special' enough here that people seem to take pretty good care of them.

Maybe you had the misfortune of noticing a bunch of slackers? Report them to their superiors and score some brownie points!  :wink:

I think those dealing with money are exempt. I've seen guards carry small smith and westons when dealing with ATM's and Post offices, and also saw one guard who was protecting a woman carrying a heft chunk of change from a samsung office carrying. TO be honest, I ****** hate guns on police (being a brit) so the less guns, the better.

• spidertao
  • Adventurer

• January 04, 2011, 01:44:44 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 11:53:33 am »
I know the guns the OP is talking about.  I'm not going to get into a gun debate or anything but I believe it was a bank manager I saw carrying it with a little stretchy cord connecting it to his body in case somebody tries to snatch it.  It looks like a little six shot revolver.

In contrast to the rest of Korea, have you seen the heat the security dudes (maybe just police officers in tactical gear) at the airport are packing?  Very intimidating  :shocked:

LOL yeah those are cops and man they are scary. that's like a damn assault rifle lol

i've had to pick people up from the airports and i would have signs and normal mall security would try to make me remove my signs which is alright but as soon as the real cops come with the heavy firepower i get super scared hahaha

regular mall security folk are SUPER strict btw. they are pretty firm and pushy. the cops carrying the guns are pretty nice young korean guys usually haha

anyway, ever go to the philippines? random security guards at parking lots carry shotguns man, it's terrifying lol

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 12:59:18 pm »

I believe it was a bank manager I saw carrying it with a little stretchy cord connecting it to his body in case somebody tries to snatch it.  It looks like a little six shot revolver.

Yeah, I saw a tiny lady security guard at the post office carrying one with a coil/stretchy cord connecting it to her body. My first thought was, 'anyone could grab that off her and start blasting'. Then I thought, 'don't be silly, this is Korea'. Then I realised I was passing judgement based on someone appearance, imagine her as a ninja and reprimanded myself anyway. 

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 01:04:00 pm »
I'm no expert (but I did grow up in the southeast part of America and my folks are conservative) and I am fairly certain the security guy at my bank has a fake gun. So maybe that's why some of the guns look all scratched up and cheap?

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 01:06:43 pm »
Didn't those G.I's who were driving around shooting people with a BB gun get a bullet?

And I'm pretty sure I read about an English teacher getting shot by the police after having a house party.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• jackdaniels
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 18, 2009, 02:00:00 pm
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 01:15:00 pm »
Why does every gun I see look like a scratched up relic from 30 years ago? The guys carrying these things around - security and police look like they bought them second hand and could not fire! I understand that only vetted people can carry these but what if they have to fire? They are scratched up and look like they went with washing cycle a few hundred times. I have many guns and would never carry a weapon looking like this! Is it because its just for show? Koreans are so good at appearance, but fire arms are amiss

I am sure what you saw were gas pistols. The black paint wears off after a few years.

Fire at what? A knife wielding assailant? They have tactical telescoping batons for that.

Gun crimes are rare. The lack of firearms on most police officers is better "for appearances" in general for a country.  :cheesy:

• jackdaniels
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 01:23:28 pm »
Didn't those G.I's who were driving around shooting people with a BB gun get a bullet?

And I'm pretty sure I read about an English teacher getting shot by the police after having a house party.

Incomplete information leads to well...misinformati on.

Authorities arrived and tried to stop three 8th Army soldiers from driving away, but a high-speed chase ensured, and an officer shot one soldier, a private first class, in the upper body after the driver struck the police officer with his car.

http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/bad-behavior-in-the-pacific/army-nco-changes-story-in-bb-gun-shooting-incident-in-korea-1.211285
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:25:42 pm by jackdaniels »

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

• September 28, 2013, 07:48:34 pm
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 01:24:49 pm »
Most of those guns shoot gas. Little more than cans of mace dressed up to look more intimidating.

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 01:59:35 pm »

I think those dealing with money are exempt. I've seen guards carry small smith and westons when dealing with ATM's and Post offices, and also saw one guard who was protecting a woman carrying a heft chunk of change from a samsung office carrying. TO be honest, I ****** hate guns on police (being a brit) so the less guns, the better.

What do the police there do when coming up against gangs with guns?  Just curious. 

• 한소로
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 07:50:46 am
    more
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 02:15:27 pm »

What do the police there do when coming up against gangs with guns?  Just curious.

They do own guns, they just don't carry them. They have to get special permission for any police officer to carry a gun, like 'special operations'. Though, the lack of guns in Korea also means there aren't many around for gangs to have. They are more likely to face off against someone with a knife. And honestly, unless they really know what they are doing, it's pretty hard to kill someone with a knife.

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 02:21:38 pm »

You find that as police don't have guns then the majority of criminals don't have guns. If there are guns (armed robbery ect.), the armed unit is called in. The armed unit is extensively trained.

Police have been polled on whether or not they want to be armed, and the majority (it was ridiculously high like 95%+) said they didn't want to be armed. Stating that they didn't want to be put in that position. Saying that they are currently viewed as servants of the community and how a gun would retract from that.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 02:23:47 pm by Space »

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 02:57:04 pm »

Here's an interesting bit of trivia. In Britain you can spot a police car that is carrying guns by the yellow circular sticker on the side, towards the back. They do occasionally patrol in these cars but, as stated before, these are specially trained armed response officers, and they need authorisation before they go whipping out guns in public. Although I'm sure exceptional circumstances do exist.

Also, most countries will occasionally post armed police in the airport carrying some fairly hefty weaponry, including UK countries. I'm told not to read too much in to it and it's usually semi-routine, though i still wonder if it means high profile visitors are landing.

• jackdaniels
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 06:16:50 pm »
During the summer I go thru Incheon airport several times a month and the armed police are always walking their beat. They patrol in pairs; at least one is normally armed with a K-2 assault rifle. They have their side arms holstered very high and I have never got close enough to see what they have. Most likely a 9mm.