• Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
Female golfer given suspended jail term
« on: December 11, 2013, 11:30:57 am »
Wow, they are really strict here.   :undecided:

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20131211000660

A female professional golfer on Wednesday was handed a suspended prison term for assaulting a police officer who asked to check her blood alcohol level, a Seoul court said Wednesday.

Seoul Central District Court sentenced a 34-year-old golfer surnamed Lee to six months in prison, suspended for two years, and 120 hours of community service. Lee was indicted for refusing to take the blood test and kicking a police officer in March.

“Considering that she was arrested for assaulting the officer after refusing the test, and that she made a ruckus and cursed even after being brought to the police station, her charges cannot be considered lightly,” the court said in its ruling.

It added that Lee “held the government authorities in contempt.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Archeon
  • Expert Waygook

• August 21, 2012, 02:36:28 pm
    • Ulsan
Re: Female golfer given suspended jail term
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 11:44:27 am »
I wonder what her side of the story is.
I will tolerate your existence only so far as it doesn't infringe on science.

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2011, 11:02:04 am
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 12:07:35 pm »
Seoul Central District Court sentenced a 34-year-old golfer surnamed Lee to six months in prison, suspended for two years, and 120 hours of community service.

What does the "suspended for two years" mean?  Does it mean she serves her prison sentence 2 years later?  Or is she suspended from playing golf for 2 years? 

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 12:14:23 pm »
Seoul Central District Court sentenced a 34-year-old golfer surnamed Lee to six months in prison, suspended for two years, and 120 hours of community service.

What does the "suspended for two years" mean?  Does it mean she serves her prison sentence 2 years later?  Or is she suspended from playing golf for 2 years?

It means that she doesn't have to serve anytime in jail if she behaves for the next two years.

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 12:25:15 pm »
Oh, so just don't get in trouble for 2 years (IE be a normal citizen and behave civilized) and those actions will be ignored? 

I wonder if my 4 years of being a model citizen here will allow me to get away with some raucous behavior.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 01:48:22 pm »
It's called probation in many places. Jail just makes borderline criminals into complete criminals. Makes sense just to threaten them, fine them and make them pay back the community. Unfortunately name and shame doesn't work here because the citizens get carried away.

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 01:56:08 pm »
Ok, probation sounds right.  It's like what they do to celebrities in the states that act like douche bags.  Same same.

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 03:16:33 pm »
I was told there's a female jail in my town. :)

It's called probation in many places. Jail just makes borderline criminals into complete criminals. Makes sense just to threaten them, fine them and make them pay back the community.

Most studies on the subject seems to suggest exactly this. This is in the States, though. I can't imagine a female prison in Korea. First, what in the world are they there for? Male Koreans who get locked up for minor offences, I can imagine coming out worse. But women, I don't know. I would think most of their charges are minor. Prostitution, drugs, something like that. The most she'd have to worry about I'd think is assault if it's mostly male guards over the prison.

Funny, though, I wonder how accurate this report is. I've seen some crazy stuff Koreans do when they get drunk. Fighting isn't uncommon. And I've seen more than one fight with police officers, who don't seem to get a lot of respect from anyone in Korea.

More than anything, I bet her trouble is a result of something cultural.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 05:34:58 pm »
It's called probation in many places. Jail just makes borderline criminals into complete criminals. Makes sense just to threaten them, fine them and make them pay back the community. Unfortunately name and shame doesn't work here because the citizens get carried away.

Probation and a suspended sentence aren't the same thing. Probation is either an additional condition of release or its own punishment in lieu of jail time. On a suspended sentence you aren't subject to any conditions other than simply not breaking the law (as you technically are at all times as a member of society). Probation requires you to report to a probation officer and comes with travel restrictions among other things.

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 05:42:51 pm »
correct.   That said, suspended sentences aren't uncommon in the States for first offenders.  Jail and probation officers cost the state money.

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 09:21:30 am »
I think this kid should've got jail.  But then again, poor kid suffers from "affluenza."

http://www.news.com.au/world/rich-kid-who-killed-four-spared-jail/story-fndir2ev-1226781114284

A TEENAGER who killed four people while driving drunk has been spared jail by a judge who says his rich parents never taught him about consequences.

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 10:54:37 am »
I think this kid should've got jail.  But then again, poor kid suffers from "affluenza."

Sounds fake to me. Unless there's other news sources, I take this story with a hefty grain of salt.

I wish it was. 

Just google the kid's name, "Ethan Couch."  There's plenty of news sources covering it.