Read 5335 times

• Sarah Hartzell
  • Waygookin

• March 07, 2013, 09:29:16 am
    • Yeongju, Gyeongbuk, South Korea
Advice? Lesson for saying Goodbye to students...
« on: December 10, 2013, 02:30:05 pm »
Hello!

So I'd like to have a class where I can tell my students I'm not coming back next year and give them an opportunity to do two things:

1. I'd like them to help decorate the classroom for the next teacher (whoever that may be.) I have some panels in the back that I use to hang posters and their worksheets, and I'd like to cover it all in "welcome" messages. I was thinking maybe a worksheet with "advice" to the next teacher, or questions for her, or even a chance for them to tell her about themselves? Just something to help the new teacher feel welcomed, wanted, and maybe even get a jump start on learning about students' interests or personalities?

2. I'd also like to compile a binder for myself with worksheets from them that are designed to help them say "goodbye" to me individually. I have 600 students. In my afterschool class when I've given them time to write letters to me, they actually get excited about communicating one-on-one with me and having time to think about what they'd like to say to me. (With 600 girls, I think they all want to talk with me, but I don't have time and they don't have the courage sometimes or know what to say...) And I'd love to have them write down or draw favorite memories from the past year with me, or perhaps give me advice for next year. (I'm staying in Korea but moving to a, as of yet, unknown school.) So, I really want to collect this sort of thing from them but, obviously, I don't want a, "Hey!! Tell me how much you love me! Celebrate me!" activity, either. I don't want to be narcissistic... but I have bonded with so many students and want something to remember them by. This makes sense, right?

Any advice on how to go about these two things? Short of creating a worksheet for them, I don't know how to do it. I want it to be something that can take the whole class period but not be a meaningless waste of time... I haven't seen any lessons with something like this, so I'm hoping to make one that can perhaps be used by other teachers who are interested in the same thing.

Thanks!

• bird212
  • Super Waygook

• May 05, 2013, 01:25:37 am
    • United States
Re: Advice? Lesson for saying Goodbye to students...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 08:18:08 am »
i love the idea of welcoming the new teacher!! what a lucky new teacher to have such an awesome predecessor as yourself.

For the goodbye to you worksheet, I think you can make some simple questions that don't require saying HEY! TELL ME YOU LOVE ME! lol.  You can ask questions such as, what was your favorite activity this year?  what is the number one thing you learned from me?  draw a picture of the funnest day in English this year.  do you have any advice for me next year?  kind of evaluating but all in a positive manner.  you can tell them if they'd like they can write you a note on the back so that it's not some weird, hey tell me you love me and write me a nice goodbye letter type ting. 
Get $10 off your first order at www.iherb.com with this code KRG363

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 09:03:06 am »
My predecessor left a whole lot of files behind on the computer, and her way of saying goodbye to her students was to do a 'madlibs' like letter.

I have attached the files she used below. I can only assume she used the grade 1 for grade 2 as well, or maybe she didn't teach Grade 2, I don't know.

This looks like a pretty fun way to say goodbye to students though.

When I left my previous school, I told the students I would be leaving, why, and we had a lesson on greetings and goodbyes. My co-teachers tried to get students to stand up and say goodbye around the classroom. Some students were too embarrassed and that was fine... I didn't hold it against them. I gave all my students my email address and said if they ever wanted to email, they could. Many added me on facebook after I'd left the school, and I still keep in touch with many of them. Some of my former students are going to be university students this coming year, and some will be finishing their first year of university. There are others still who are still at the school I left, and some who will be high school.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 02:07:29 pm »
For my final lessons, I've just been keeping it low-key by having them make Christmas cards.  I give everyone a piece of paper to fold in half and then draw a quick template on the board to help them with spelling.  I tell them to write a short message to someone in English and give them some sentence starters to work from.  I also write two short examples, one thanking a teacher, and the other thanking a mom to further inspire them.

I tell them at the beginning of class that this is my last class with them, but I leave the card activity open so they can write to whomever they feel like.  So far, it's been fun for the students, and I've gotten a couple meaningful cards out of it.

Some students will spend the whole period (or more) on their creations, but most finish after about 35 or 40 minutes, so I either play a quick game (Hangman) or have a little video to keep the quicker ones entertained until class ends. 

• kbkj23
  • Newgookin

• April 17, 2017, 05:53:09 am
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 11:11:39 am »
It is a good way to say goodbye to ss!