Read 2013 times

• anichion
  • Veteran

• March 12, 2010, 10:29:38 am
    • Naju
Korea Times- 15,000 railway workers go on strike
« on: December 10, 2013, 12:17:00 pm »
The railways are on strike and delays are already happening. Plan your weekend trips accordingly.
http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2013/12/116_147637.html
About 15,000 workers of Korea Railway Corp. (KORAIL) went on strike Monday.

Unionists of Seoul Metro, which serves a significant portion of commuters in Seoul, threatened to join the strike on Dec. 18. Their walkout didn’t immediately affect the KTX bullet train service, subways or commuter trains in the capital on the first day.

Other long-distance services via Saemaeul and Mugunghwa were brought to a halt, while cargo services were cut by 36 percent.

The union opposes KORAIL’s plan to set up a separate entity to run a bullet train service connecting Suseo in southern Seoul to the Chungcheong and Jeolla provinces by 2016. KORAIL plans to mobilize emergency manpower, including non-union members, workers from the military and subcontractors.

I can see this conversation playing out now:
Scab: Hey boss I'm coming up on a corner at 80 kph. Do I slow down or speed up?
Boss: Speed up! You're already 2 minutes late.
Scab: Okay boss. *train crashes, killing 2*
Boss: Oh... oops...

The trade union of Seoul Metro, which runs subway Lines 1 to 4 in the capital, said that 87.2 percent of its 8,065 members voted for the strike in a poll conducted four days ago.

Might want to download that Seoul Bus app as well.

• philby1985
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 09:10:49 am
    • Daejeon
Re: Korea Times- 15,000 railway workers go on strike
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 04:16:00 pm »

If you are implying that non-union workers are more reckless than union workers... rubbish.

The union isn't striking over safety concerns. They are going on strike because they are scared of losing their power (and with it their money).

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 07:46:03 am »
I can't wait for the new station to open up in Suseo, much closer and trains may make sense when the roads aren't blocked. I just hope all the homeless people stay in Yongsan and Seoul station.
I just hope the union doesn't mess things up. Korail can't afford to own every single railway project in the country. They are only giving up a new thing, not an old thing and with or without doing this they may privatize entirely in the future.

• a1mighty
  • Adventurer

• July 18, 2012, 05:03:52 pm
    • usa
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 11:34:09 am »
The rail company filed complaints with the police against 100 union division leaders around the country, calling it an “illegal strike.”

The company threatened disciplinary measures against striking unionists who refuse to return to work.

I'm very curious on how this will go about, will the police actually arrest people for refusing to work? What are they slaves!?

• philby1985
  • Expert Waygook

• Daejeon
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 11:47:27 am »
The rail company filed complaints with the police against 100 union division leaders around the country, calling it an “illegal strike.”

The company threatened disciplinary measures against striking unionists who refuse to return to work.

I'm very curious on how this will go about, will the police actually arrest people for refusing to work? What are they slaves!?

Key word being division leaders. My guess is there are a certain set of rules they should be following as a union leader. If they are not, then (i'm no expert) maybe criminal charges can be laid.

• anichion
  • Veteran

• March 12, 2010, 10:29:38 am
    • Naju
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 01:53:02 pm »

If you are implying that non-union workers are more reckless than union workers... rubbish.

The union isn't striking over safety concerns. They are going on strike because they are scared of losing their power (and with it their money).
Considering the number of accidents involving the Unionized employees this year, I'm not holding out much hope with the scabs.

In the meantime, I hope this doesn't become another Ssyangyoung Motors debacle, where they strike for years and the company staggers to bankruptcy and out again.

• philby1985
  • Expert Waygook

• Daejeon
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 03:28:56 pm »
In the meantime, I hope this doesn't become another Ssyangyoung Motors debacle, where they strike for years and the company staggers to bankruptcy and out again.

Doubtful. Because the trains are a public service, if they keep it up too long or too often, they will lose public support and quickly become the bad guys.

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 09:24:32 pm »
The striking Seoul Metro workers are already the bad guys for trying to defy the natural economic privatization of rail.   This is an essential service so workers will get kicked out if they strike illegally.  Does the government have enough gumption to stand up to the union and start firing people?

BDB