Read 1825 times

• jstern
  • Waygookin

• August 27, 2013, 09:34:50 am
    • Cheongju

Re: Korean Air Defense Zone
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 09:13:19 am »
Hmmm...wonder if they would have had the stones to do that if the US wasn't backing them.  Anyhow, these territorial disputes are going to lead to something pretty nasty in the future.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:17:40 am »
It is just penis wagging. Nothing interesting will happen, and if something starts, the US is gonna get angry, and SK and Japan don't really want to see the US angry.

• lee233
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 09:53:46 am
    • Korea
    more
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 09:37:50 am »
Good grief, has it always been like this over here, or has it just picked up since I arrived back in 2012? Hopefully one day these peoples will all be able to get along and stop whinning about every speck of landmass out there.
If wishes were horses beggars would ride

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 11:01:44 am »
Good grief, has it always been like this over here, or has it just picked up since I arrived back in 2012? Hopefully one day these peoples will all be able to get along and stop whinning about every speck of landmass out there.

Nationalism has been on the up over the past 2 years. The Korean and Japanese economies are not doing too good, so the governments have been using nationalism to distract people. China on the other hand has been lurching from corruption scandal, to public health scandal, to pollution scandal and back again. For the sake of stability, they've been ratcheting up the nationalism to astronomic proportions.

What fun times we live in. Stupid people being stupid for stupid reasons. Gotta love that.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 01:08:27 pm »
I support Korea's new ADIZ. I just wonder why they went for so much? Also they went for a big chunk near Japan, too. Seems more opportunistic than reactionary.
My guess is they wanted to lean more towards overlapping with Japan but USFK said back off.

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 01:29:06 pm »

I know it was a semi-rhetorical question but it's basically literally always been like this here; only difference is that lately its over uninhabitable rocks instead of the countries all mutually claiming each other's entire landmasses. These days the complaining over Dokdo/Takeshima and Daiyou/Senkakujima has reached its highest levels but the spirit of the debate is centuries old.

• Chadwickhhs
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2012, 07:04:14 pm
    more
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 02:47:49 pm »
This helipad is built on the "disputed territory" the Koreans called Leodo. It's like Dokdo but even stupider. It's a submerged reef with a helipad built on top.

Worth fighting over? Worth dying over? No.

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 02:58:35 pm »
This helipad is built on the "disputed territory" the Koreans called Leodo. It's like Dokdo but even stupider. It's a submerged reef with a helipad built on top.

Underwater oil/gas fields and fishing rights. Same with Dokdo. I get why the three respective governments are fighting so bitterly over these otherwise pointless landmasses. I don't get how there's any emotion involved in it for regular people though other than anti-Chinese/Japanese sentiment.

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 04:44:21 pm »

Underwater oil/gas fields and fishing rights. Same with Dokdo. I get why the three respective governments are fighting so bitterly over these otherwise pointless landmasses. I don't get how there's any emotion involved in it for regular people though other than anti-Chinese/Japanese sentiment.

Thats precisely it really. The governments are intentionally stirring up nationalist sentiments by making it into a anti-(nationality) thing so that the people will get emotionally involved in it. The Chinese fell completely hook line and sinker for it and went on a rocking riot against everything Japanese. I haven't seen any violent nationalist sentiments borne out in Korea yet this year (or last year), but I have heard some pretty awful anti-Japanese/anti-Chinese things, mostly from students. I do wonder how the situation is in Japan.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 05:29:24 pm »

Thats precisely it really. The governments are intentionally stirring up nationalist sentiments by making it into a anti-(nationality) thing so that the people will get emotionally involved in it. The Chinese fell completely hook line and sinker for it and went on a rocking riot against everything Japanese. I haven't seen any violent nationalist sentiments borne out in Korea yet this year (or last year), but I have heard some pretty awful anti-Japanese/anti-Chinese things, mostly from students. I do wonder how the situation is in Japan.

I guess to me it's just incomprehensible that beings capable of logic and reasoning can be convinced that rocks they haven't seen and can't live on are a sensible vector for persistent hatred of another country and a matter of almost personal pride. I remember seeing an article in Dynamic Busan about a speech contest where a girl won a special mention because her speech was called "I love Dokdo". She was a university student. It would be near impossible to get me into a nationalist frenzy over the annexation of Prince Edward Island and no only have I vacationed there but several hundred thousand people live on it. There's just no logic behind this "Oh Dokdo my Dokdo" nonsense. I guess this is technically off-topic though.

More on the actual topic: I do think this is a fair move on Korea's part. If China is knocked off-kilter by the resistance to its zone it might cede the rock in an effort to prioritize what it really wants. There's not a huge risk for Korea and them fighting China on the issue will at least strengthen the opposition to them if not really strengthen the status quo specifically.