Read 2946 times

• sungadio
  • Adventurer

• September 10, 2010, 09:38:40 am
    • Korea
125cc and under
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:16:00 am »
Does anyone have a definite answer about the requirement of a special motorcycle license for bikes under 125cc?
Is a regular korean driver's license sufficient?

I'm running out of people in my head to ask to call the driver's license agency. there are some people i wouldnt want to know i intend on getting a motorcycle, as they'll think its dangerous bla bla bla.
If someone knows now it'll save me from having to call.

• sungadio
  • Adventurer

• September 10, 2010, 09:38:40 am
    • Korea
Re: 125cc and under
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 10:56:38 am »
Or does anyone know of any motorcycle driving schools in Gyeongju, pohang or ulsan? I've heard that to do the test you have to do it on a thursday at 5..which isnt the best time for teachers. Maybe the school can issue a license test..some schools?

• adamwatch
  • Super Waygook

• February 03, 2010, 10:47:27 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 07:04:01 pm »
I think a large tank would be safer.
Adam

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 03:00:57 pm »
I don't think you need a license for anything under 125. Don't worry about it -

• mycombs
  • Veteran

• September 03, 2010, 06:39:03 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 08:58:00 am »
I have been trying and failing to pass the Motorcycle Test in Korea. I am pretty sure the test is for bikes with 125cc and bigger. So you probably don't need to get anything other than a "normal" license for 125cc and below. I am considering giving up on the motorcycle test and just getting a 125cc myself. Here's what the Seoul Global Center's website says:
Before obtaining a license for motorcycles, itís important to note that motorcycles with an engine size up to 125 cc do not require separate licenses. A regular 1 & 2 class license will allow you to drive motorcycles with smaller engines.
I would trust them, but it might be a good idea to call them during normal working hours and confirm. (Seoul Global Center is a foreigner help desk for the Korean Government, and can answer anything you need)
Source: http://global.seoul.go.kr
Click "living > driving > motorcycle
"Signature"

• mycombs
  • Veteran

• September 03, 2010, 06:39:03 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 09:27:07 am »
Ah, even more authoritative information:
http://www.dla.go.kr/english/01_info/info07.jsp
Class 1 "regular" license:
1. Automobiles
2. Passenger cars(less than or equals to 15passengers)
3. Cargo Trucks(loading capacity less than or equals to 12tons)
4. Emergency vehicles(less than or equals to 12passengers)
5. Motor-equipped bicycles(less than or equals to 125cc)
"Signature"

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 03:23:15 pm »
Ah, even more authoritative information:
http://www.dla.go.kr/english/01_info/info07.jsp
Class 1 "regular" license:
1. Automobiles
2. Passenger cars(less than or equals to 15passengers)
3. Cargo Trucks(loading capacity less than or equals to 12tons)
4. Emergency vehicles(less than or equals to 12passengers)
5. Motor-equipped bicycles(less than or equals to 125cc)

this link seems to be dead... an update? thanks.
CREATEandGIFT.org: ART IS A GIFT. And here, that's literal.

Use Rewards Code MTW418 to get $10.00 off your first iHerb.com purchase. Mmm, quinoa.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 03:33:53 pm »
I have been riding here for 3 years and I can say for sure.

For any bike 125cc and under a regular drivers licence will suffice, but you must have a licence even if it's a 50cc. Also, it must be registered and insured. I have friend who a police officer and I have discussed it with him. If you ride and get caught, it could easily affect your visa.

As for anything above a 125cc, you will need a motorcycle licence. If you have a normal licence, then you just need to take the riding test. I failed the first time, but I passed the second. I practiced with my friends 125cc daelim daystar, which made it easier.

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 04:01:53 pm »

For any bike 125cc and under a regular drivers licence will suffice, but you must have a licence even if it's a 50cc. Also, it must be registered and insured. I have friend who a police officer and I have discussed it with him. If you ride and get caught, it could easily affect your visa.

As for anything above a 125cc, you will need a motorcycle licence. If you have a normal licence, then you just need to take the riding test. I failed the first time, but I passed the second. I practiced with my friends 125cc daelim daystar, which made it easier.

Thanks forevertraveling... also heard that the international license is only good for people in Korea 3 months or less... if longer or living here, we're expected to get a Korean license... true?
CREATEandGIFT.org: ART IS A GIFT. And here, that's literal.

Use Rewards Code MTW418 to get $10.00 off your first iHerb.com purchase. Mmm, quinoa.

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 07:45:08 am »

Thanks forevertraveling... also heard that the international license is only good for people in Korea 3 months or less... if longer or living here, we're expected to get a Korean license... true?

Yes, that is true.