Read 3745 times

• bird212
  • Super Waygook

• May 05, 2013, 01:25:37 am
    • United States
smog/pollution on clothes?
« on: December 05, 2013, 04:26:54 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-25200461

This article mentions a clothing detergent here that gets rid of heavy metals on your clothing in regards to all the smog we are getting from China.  My usually fresh air town is filled with smog right now.  Anyone know which detergent this might be or any clue words in hangul to find such a detergent?
Get $10 off your first order at www.iherb.com with this code KRG363

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

• September 28, 2013, 07:48:34 pm
Re: smog/pollution on clothes?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 04:54:44 pm »
Well, that explains why I have been feeling ill this week.

• bird212
  • Super Waygook

• United States
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 05:31:50 pm »
Yeah it's terribly disgusting. and I heard/read it contains arsenic, cadmium, and lead.  Pretty bad for you.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 08:03:42 pm »
Most of the folks here in Gwangju seem to be wearing masks... is wearing a mask any help against heavy metal pollutants?

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 08:42:02 pm »
I think to provide maximum protection against the fine particles you would need something like an N95 mask. I am sure the standard masks that everyone is wearing is better than nothing. My wife is wearing one of those yellow dust masks because she is quite sensitive to air pollution. When she wears the mask she isn't bothered at all whereas I am seriously thinking about joining her in that as I am starting to have trouble.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 09:02:39 pm »
i didn't seenanyone in daejeon wearing a mask... it was smoggy today too, which was concerning. i think i'll start a trend tomorrow and wear one. does anyone know how long the smog is supposed to last for?
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 24, 2013, 01:55:38 pm
    • Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 07:32:36 am »
I'm pretty sure that the typical masks become relatively useless after about 20 minutes of wear. That was for protecting against airborne germs. I'm sure with super-fine particles of toxic chemicals, they are even more useless. Pohang had quite a thick haze yesterday and it seems this morning as well. Sure we have POSCO, but it hasn't been this bad since I arrived here 3 months ago. After reading that article I'd like to get a mask, but not sure what kind to purchase.. or where.
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

• bird212
  • Super Waygook

• United States
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 07:37:32 am »
I'm not sure what kind to purchase either and last night even though I went out pretty early all of the pharmacies were closed!  And today the smog is even worse in my town.  Tried putting my scarf over my mouth but now I'm getting a little paranoid about all these heavy metals being absorbed by my clothing

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 08:18:25 am »
You should be able to find the basic face masks at convenience stores.  I don't know how much they help but it can't hurt to try...

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 27, 2011, 10:26:20 am
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 08:34:17 am »
Id be interested in this detergent name as well.

Also, will masks be clearly marked N95?

• acousticr
  • Expert Waygook

• January 24, 2013, 11:42:50 am
    • Gyeonggi
    more
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 08:47:10 am »
The masks won't help much, regardless of filter quality, if they don't fit tightly to your face, so keep that in mind. You can check out the Air Quality Index here: http://aqicn.org/map//

It looks like we had a dose of it that's blowing through, hopefully we won't get more. It was bad here yesterday but we're in the yellow now, and Seoul, which was bad a couple days ago according to the news is in the green.

Basic allergen/pollutant management: Don't exercise or spend a lot of time in heavy traffic areas on bad air quality days. You're better off working out inside. Shower before bed, so anything that's caught on your hair or skin doesn't stick to you overnight. Wash your face and hands when you get home. Washing your sheets in hot water is recommended usually for allergies, I don't know anything about cleaning heavy metals off of fabric. The only thing I found on google was a site selling soap that was supposed to be good for lead, and a lot of articles about pollutant-absorbing clothing, which is kind of the opposite of what we want.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

• 한소로
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 07:50:46 am
    more
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 10:06:19 am »
It's beautiful today, but the past few days here in Seoul it was like walking through Silent Hill.

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 10:39:59 am »
I've been wearing my Darth Vador replica mask for the past few days or so. Had a few funny looks but they backed off when I flashed my lightsaber.

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 12:08:44 pm »
I live in a small rural town in the middle of Chungbuk. Usually the air is alright, though if it hasn't rained in a while it gets a bit hazy. The last two days, especially yesterday, were the smoggiest I've ever seen. You could barely see the hills just outside town yesterday, and in the morning you couldn't see more than a block or two. My throat felt like crap.

Fortunately overnight it got colder and the air is back to normal, crisp and clean and just slightly hazy. Really glad the Chinese smog went away but I wonder how much of it we will get this winter.

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 12:49:27 pm »
Face masks can be bought in 90% of convenience stores (unless they're out of stock which is quite possible given the high demand these days). They cost on average about 2,000원.

I felt a bit odd wearing a mask at first, now i don't care. Wear one. You'll feel better. Reduce your time outdoors. Close your windows at home. Let your clothes dry inside the house instead of putting them outdoors.

Are the masks effective? I don't know. But i will err on the side of caution as that's all i can do.

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 02:18:57 pm »
I live near many factories in Icheon, so I bought an air purifier for my apartment.  It really works well to eliminate odors, I also have some plants in my laundry room. Wash your clothing especially towels in vinegar. The dirt gets trapped in old detergent left on the clothing, so it takes longer to dry. Vinegar washes away the old detergent, and allows your clothing to dry faster and the smell disappears very quickly.

• bird212
  • Super Waygook

• United States
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 06:37:41 pm »
DavidDaytona, does applie cider vinegar work?

• Gravity Wins
  • Adventurer

• September 23, 2013, 11:47:48 pm
    • Vancouver ---> Suwon
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 11:03:15 pm »
Yeah this pollution is the worst, all the fresh air is contaminated... so I've decided to boycott fresh air. Just keep a lit cigarette everywhere you go and the cigarette smoke will fight off the smog. Also headed to Fukushima these holidays to try to Sashimi, will report back  8)