Read 5626 times

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
How has having the F-visa benefitted your life?
« on: December 04, 2013, 01:32:48 pm »
Hi, everyone.

I'm wondering if you could describe how your life changed once you got the F-visa.

Earnings potential went up significantly? The amount of work offered increased and was more varied and interesting?

If I can hear the inspiring stories, I will be motivated to work as hard as I can to furiously study Korean in hopes of one day getting the F-visa.

How attainable is getting the F-visa via the points system? It is possible but it is a long, hard struggle.

I think to myself whether I will ever be able to become conversational in Korean, and deep down inside I believe it is more likely than not I won't.

I worked SO hard studying the Korean language and so far the returns have been a lot less than I expected. But I guess I just need to stick with it.

My married and gypo friends with the F-visa refer to it as the "God visa".

I read some stuff on the internet by posters who said once they married a Korean woman and got the F-visa, the money just rolled right in (though I'm sure whether that is still the case).

I am just trying to get a positive image in my mind about the F-visa to continually keep myself on track. (I even printed off an F-visa and hung it on my bedroom wall for me to see each morning.)

Re: How has having the F-visa benefitted your life?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 01:42:54 pm »
Wow, I was just asking someone else about this very thing. :huh:

I qualify for the F2 through a combination of language classes, residency and such. I'm keen to upgrade my visa, but I was just wondering if it really changes anything.

One friend calls it his "I don't need this s***" visa because he won't be deported if he quits his job. That alone sounds like a miracle.

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 02:01:32 pm »
Hi, everyone.

I'm wondering if you could describe how your life changed once you got the F-visa.

Earnings potential went up significantly? The amount of work offered increased and was more varied and interesting?

If I can hear the inspiring stories, I will be motivated to work as hard as I can to furiously study Korean in hopes of one day getting the F-visa.

How attainable is getting the F-visa via the points system? It is possible but it is a long, hard struggle.

I think to myself whether I will ever be able to become conversational in Korean, and deep down inside I believe it is more likely than not I won't.

I worked SO hard studying the Korean language and so far the returns have been a lot less than I expected. But I guess I just need to stick with it.

I read some stuff on the internet by posters who said once they married a Korean woman and got the F-visa, the money just rolled right in (though I'm sure whether that is still the case).

I am just trying to get a positive image in my mind about the F-visa to continually keep myself on track. (I even printed off an F-visa and hung it on my bedroom wall for me to see each morning.)

-definitely more job opportunities and ability to work multiple jobs

-visa isn't tied to your job, so some peace of mind

-if you plan to stay in Korea for a while, I'd say go for it
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• jaybird
  • Veteran

• April 06, 2011, 10:54:23 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 02:04:35 pm »
One friend calls it his "I don't need this s***" visa because he won't be deported if he quits his job. That alone sounds like a miracle.

That could work against you as well. Not a problem at public schools, but when applying for a hagwon job, a few places tried to make me sign a contract that said I would need to pay back 2-3 months pay if I wanted to quit. Needless to say, FORGET THAT!

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 02:22:08 pm »
http://www.expathell.com/?p=5916

required reading for anyone who thinks a F-visa is "better" or guarantees more money

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 04:51:43 pm »
Been married 4 years but never bothered to get my F visa. Doing well enough and working enough hours on an E2. I guess I'm a 5 with a hint of 3 on Expathell's list. Although tecnically I don't qualify for the list at all with an E2.

• Row
  • Veteran

• November 14, 2011, 05:27:04 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 08:04:09 pm »

required reading for anyone who thinks a F-visa is "better" or guarantees more money

There is nothing on expat hell that could ever be considered required reading

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 09:44:40 pm »
Hi, everyone.

The money won't just "roll in," but the opportunities are there. After obtaining an F-visa, I searched for a part-time  gig (1 hr a day, 5 days a week) that that started after my full-time job. It was an easy extra 1.2 million a month.

------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 07:03:05 am »
Have had my F visa for two years (got it in America) because of my wife. Honestly the only benefit I see is freedom. Rolling in the dough- I guess my fountain of money is dry, haha. Any dough rolling in would be due to my hard work, pushing myself working for my dough.

But yes I do not have my school scarring me - your visa this and visa that. Yes I can do privates (be careful about contract conflicts though). I can be free to take off a month with my wife and not worry about my visa (renewing/ cancellations, etc.)

But beyond that- not much wow to it. I just feel one less string attached to me.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 10:02:40 am »
Is an F Visa better than an E2 Visa, yes. It is a "God Visa", no.

As already stated the main benefit is the freedom and independence from being tied to one employer. If a school wants to mess around you can leave and not worry about having to leave the country etc.

However the amount of money you can earn isn't a fountain of gold, its a little better than normal but not amazing. Whilst some doors open others close.

The main thing that people fail to see is that an F Visa isn't an automatic escape from Teaching Roles, if you can speak Korean it's possible. But otherwise the roles are highly competitive and the money isn't any better than teaching (at least to start with) plus the hours are long.

If you plan on living in Korea for the long term then an F Visa is a better move but otherwise it may not be all you hoped for.
"The grass isn't always greener on the other side".

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 10:19:32 am »
I didn't have to do the FBI check for a job that wanted only F visa people. All I had to do was a Korean police check and that was it. I didn't even have to do a health test, which I have to do every contract year with a public school.

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 11:05:09 am »
Yes I can do privates (be careful about contract conflicts though).

Not saying this applies to you but doing privates on an F visa and not declaring the income is just breaking the law in a different way from doing them on an E2

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 11:18:45 am »
eggieguffer- I didn't think it necessary to list all the qualifications needed to do private lessons. Not only do you need to document your income and pay taxes on it, but despite having the F visa a person still needs to get a tutoring license and abide by the relevant laws regarding that license: declaring prices, where the tutoring is done, age of students, and so on.

I just thought though I would mention it is easier to do private lessons with an F visa and keep it short.

Just a note: USA citizens- do you know that technically by law you are supposed to report all online purchases that did not have taxes taken out on your IRS taxes? Not reporting them is against the law. Statistically, almost no one does it.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 11:22:31 am »
Be aware that the requirements for an F-2 visa changed again earlier this year. They've made it more difficult.

I'm attaching the points chart that explains the new system. It is, of course, needlessly contrived.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 11:37:32 am »
eggieguffer- I didn't think it necessary to list all the qualifications needed to do private lessons. Not only do you need to document your income and pay taxes on it, but despite having the F visa a person still needs to get a tutoring license and abide by the relevant laws regarding that license: declaring prices, where the tutoring is done, age of students, and so on.

I just thought though I would mention it is easier to do private lessons with an F visa and keep it short.

Yeah, like I said not directed at you, but there are people around on Korean boards who seem to think having the visa alone is enough to rake in unlimited undeclared earnings and it's somehow not as bad as doing it on an E2

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 12:30:54 pm »

There is nothing on expat hell that could ever be considered required reading

I think it should be part of the first year orientation course for GEPIK.

F-visa makes it easier to get after-school jobs (at a better pay level) and business tutoring. For the adventurous there are a few 2 afternoons/mornings a week, 1mil a month type jobs that would be nice to cobble together into a schedule.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• terivinix
  • Expert Waygook

• October 19, 2011, 02:20:32 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 03:14:09 am »
Been married 4 years but never bothered to get my F visa. Doing well enough and working enough hours on an E2. I guess I'm a 5 with a hint of 3 on Expathell's list. Although tecnically I don't qualify for the list at all with an E2.

What, are you crazy? You could have upgraded to an F-5 by now and be voting in Korean elections, if you wanted.

On an F visa you can have any job in Korea, whether that means any shitty ESL job, private lessons, or working outside ESL whether that means being a bartender or working for the Korean government.

The F-5 halves your healthcare costs, if not provided by your work, and you can stay in Korea after getting divorced.

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 06:15:22 am »
On an F visa you can have any job in Korea, whether that means any shitty ESL job, private lessons, or working outside ESL whether that means being a bartender or working for the Korean government.

The F-5 halves your healthcare costs, if not provided by your work, and you can stay in Korea after getting divorced.

See? You could get divorced and work in a bar. :wink: