Read 6259 times

• jsotoronto
  • Explorer

• February 27, 2013, 03:20:17 pm
    • Incheon, South Korea
Is anyone doing a masters while working in Korea?

I teach at an elementary school and am looking into doing my masters in education or esl while working here. I came upon this program offered by Framingham University from Massachusetts.

http://framinghamkorea.blogspot.kr/

http://www.framingham.edu/graduate-studies/international-education-program/program-sites/jochiwon.html

The information I could find was usually from 07 or 08. Is anyone currently enrolled in this program or have done it? Can you shed some information about them? Under 6 grand for a masters seems too good to be true.

from what I understand is that it is fully accredited program and the MEd is from Framingham not the Korean host university. They fly the professor from Framingham to teach the course in 2 intensive classes over two weeks or long weekends during our August and February breaks.

If anyone can share any experiences with this program or other similar programs, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao :)

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
Check out this thread:
http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=60911.0

There's another one out there recently, but I can't find it right now.  Try using google to search this site. 

Their application deadline was Nov 1st, though, for this coming winter semester (they only start every winter, max., usually every 2). 

• kimchi4me
  • Veteran

• December 23, 2012, 03:39:41 pm
    • bucheon
Hi there,

Im presently doing my Masters with Framingham in Bucheon (I do believe there is a cohort in Seoul as well). We are 25 in the group. I just completed my first course of nine. Each course is 2 weeks long, during the vacation period from 9 to 5) although the first one I took was an exception (6 saturdays from 9 to 5). I hope to complete the course in just over a year. The courses are around 650$ each so the whole Masters will cost just under 6,000$.

• GoCyclones
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 01, 2012, 10:34:54 am
    • Central Seoul
Had I known about the Framingham program when I did my Masters, I probably would have signed up.

The problem now, however, is that I see the program as possibly becoming a bit over-saturated in terms of the numbers of resumes out there from people who have taken it... meaning that there are probably a lot of teachers from Korea who have taken the program. 

I'm not so sure that is the best thing... I'm not calling it a McMasters, but when your program offers a full MA for just $6000, among other selling-points, you're going to have a lot of people taking it.  And do you really want your name associated with "the cheapest" option out there, which incidentally appears on many other resumes?  If we lived on the East coast of the USA, it would be one thing, but we're in Korea now.

When a ton of resumes show up in an employers inbox, and many of them have MA's from a small school like Framingham, that few employers have heard of outside of their MA program being on lots of resumes....

Catch my drift?

Again... a reputable program, but most employers don't have a clue about schools outside of the big names, state universities, and larger schools known to the world.  I wouldn't put down an MA from the place, myself.  I WOULD, however, be concerned about what Korean employers think.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 08:25:35 am by GoCyclones »

• jlehmke
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 10:54:48 am
    • Seongnam
I was considering Framingham also, but missed the Nov 1 deadline for this winter.  Do they only accept applications once a year or could I join for summer?

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
I was considering Framingham also, but missed the Nov 1 deadline for this winter.  Do they only accept applications once a year or could I join for summer?

Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until 2015 to enroll. Maybe contact them to see if they'll allow a late application.

Had I known about the Framingham program when I did my Masters, I probably would have signed up.

The problem now, however, is that I see the program as possibly becoming a bit over-saturated in terms of the numbers of resumes out there from people who have taken it... meaning that there are probably a lot of teachers from Korea who have taken the program. 

I'm not so sure that is the best thing... I'm not calling it a McMasters, but when your program offers a full MA for just $6000, among other selling-points, you're going to have a lot of people taking it.  And do you really want your name associated with "the cheapest" option out there, which incidentally appears on many other resumes?  If we lived on the East coast of the USA, it would be one thing, but we're in Korea now.

When a ton of resumes show up in an employers inbox, and many of them have MA's from a small school like Framingham, that few employers have heard of outside of their MA program being on lots of resumes....

Catch my drift?

Again... a reputable program, but most employers don't have a clue about schools outside of the big names, state universities, and larger schools known to the world.  I wouldn't put down an MA from the place, myself.  I WOULD, however, be concerned about what Korean employers think.

For the price and flexibility, it's a good choice for those of us who want something a bit better than an online program.

If each cohort has 20-30 people, there is still hope that the degree has not flooded the job market.

• kimchi4me
  • Veteran

• December 23, 2012, 03:39:41 pm
    • bucheon
I think we are the first group to start this here in Korea if Im not mistaken (at least in Bucheon)

It seems pretty good. I sent an email about late admissions, but I think I missed out this time around.

Anyway, I would guess that people getting their degree this way won't all stay here. So I wouldn't worry about the value diluting or whatever.