Read 8649 times

• vanzant
  • Waygookin

• May 10, 2012, 09:50:10 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Do you have your own room or do you go to each homeroom?
« on: December 03, 2013, 12:40:14 pm »
I have been here for almost two years and I have always gone to each homeroom (over twenty different rooms).  Next year our school will have an English Room.  In your school, whose room is it?  Is it shared between many teachers?  Is the NET only in that room?  Just wondering what the setup is in different schools.  I have been to about 12 different schools and the NET is usually in that room with various Korean teachers but our school is considering a different approach. 
youtube.com/educateyouseoul
Josh VanZant
educateyourseoul@gmail.com

Re: Do you have your own room or do you go to each homeroom?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 12:48:28 pm »
I am at a middle school. I don't use the English room very often and there are no teachers that use it for an office.  I have a desk in the teachers room and go to each homeroom for class.

• a87
  • Super Waygook

• July 21, 2013, 12:31:10 am
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 12:54:51 pm »
In my elementary school we have an English room on the top floor where the students come, which is pretty sweet. Makes class preparation much easier. Plus I have my own office in a separate room connected to the English room. Love the privacy.
Take that apologists!

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 12:59:10 pm »
One of my schools has one English room sectioned into three parts A, B, and C used by all English teachers for class, but we each have a desk in the main teachers office. My other school has more than one English room and I have to travel back and forth between the two of them plus one home room. At that school there is an English teachers office so again everyone has their own desk not in a classroom.

• Redondo
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2012, 05:28:11 am
    • toronto
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 01:09:39 pm »
In my main school I have the english classroom, except on the odd day where the afterschool teacher has to use it. In the morning there is a music class that sometimes goes until 9:30, I don't understand it fully but maybe it's scheduled until 9:20 which is a real dropped ball by the principal/whoever scheduled that because I always get in late. I used to go early anyway but now I feel weird about preparing while someone is teaching a class. Like it may make the other teacher feel uncomfortable that I'm just waiting for her to get out of there.

In my other schools, I teach in students classrooms. in the branch school there is practically no teacher's room. It's just a tiny room with a single computer, 2 printers, and 2 tables. it also has 4 piano practice rooms.

• James89
  • Veteran

• February 04, 2013, 05:14:23 pm
    • SoKo
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 01:14:48 pm »
There are 2 English rooms in my school. One is shared between 2 contract teachers and the other is all mine, bar 1 period a week. It's my office as well which I love. No moving between classrooms and the students are better behaved here I feel. Only downside is that some students are often late to class (guess 10 minutes isn't enough to come down one flight of stairs!).

• Quaelyn
  • Veteran

• August 29, 2011, 02:45:27 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 01:29:50 pm »
In my elementary school, there is an English room that I use for all of my classes (I teach 4-6 grades). There is an afterschool class that uses that room 3 afternoons a week, as well, so if any of my classes are moved to the afternoons of those days, I have to go to the homerooms. My office is separate and I share it with the other subject teachers.

• taewon
  • Super Waygook

• July 04, 2012, 12:00:38 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 01:37:26 pm »
When I taught public I didn't have a office or room! I was just stuck at the side of the classroom like another 5th grade student . How humiliating !! GEPIK you blow! I also had stuff stolen all the time, so I had to lug around my backpack everywhere I went. Korean teachers got offices. I still remember trying to use the 6th grade teachers office and scolded for it like a child . Worst job ever !

I was jealous :)

Enjoy your office or room! I enjoy my own room now:)
"One year they asked me to be poster boy - for birth control."
Rodney Dangerfield

• jinteh
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2011, 08:47:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 01:37:38 pm »
For my three schools I'm stationed by myself in either the library or computer room. At one we teach in the library, the other two we go to each homeroom.

A friend of mine is teaching in a different town and they have their own separate English building. It's just the co-teacher and him sharing the room.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 01:41:49 pm »
Here's my vibe:

Elem school 1: English room
Elem school 2: No English room, go to each homeroom
Elem school 3: No English room, go to each homeroom
Middle/High school combined (I teach both): English room

My main school is the middle/high mentioned above. I teach all my middle and high school classes in there, but I also have my own desk in the teachers' office. I think my middle school co-teacher teaches their classes in the students' homerooms, and my high school co-teacher teachers some of her classes in the homerooms too. But I have seen her using the English room for her classes on occasion.

I've been trying to encourage her to use it more because what's the point of having it if it's not used that often? I much prefer having an English room to teaching in the homerooms, but I'm worried that if our English room isn't used that often the school might decide to turn it into a staff break room, ping-pong room, or who knows what else.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:44:41 pm by johnny russian »

• acousticr
  • Expert Waygook

• January 24, 2013, 11:42:50 am
    • Gyeonggi
    more
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 01:51:13 pm »
At my current elementary school, I've had both. The school remodeled the English Zone over winter break last year, so I shoved my desk into the health room and traveled. Multilevel classes were in the library. It worked, and actually it was nice for the 5th grade. I didn't have an English co-teacher at the time, so the homeroom teacher worked with me for that class and discipline was a lot easier.

I like having my own room, though. I decorate for (mostly the American) holidays, I put up informational posters on a section of the wall that is for some reason metallic enough to stick magnets on, and I can rearrange the classroom into different areas and move the desks into different formations before class starts.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 01:59:25 pm »
i have my own room (elementary school). i share an office with five other special teachers (two of whom are my co-teachers).
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• waltre
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2012, 09:07:13 am
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 02:00:48 pm »
I do all my planning in the teacher office, where all the teachers' desks are, but I teach in other rooms. The middle school grades use an English classroom that students come to. The high school grades, however, stay in their classrooms and I go to them.

I much prefer my middle school setup.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 02:22:51 pm »
My school has an English room, which is where all the classes with me happen. There is also an after school class with another English teacher that is held there twice a week. Sometimes teachers' meetings and Open Classes are held there as well. My office used to be in the English room, but I was moved into another office to save on heating when I don't have class and I'm the only person that would be in the room.

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 04, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 02:28:21 pm »
At my main school we have an English Classroom and all middle school English classes are held in there (whether I'm the teacher or my KT is).  At the high school, only I teach in the English classroom.  At my second middle school I have an English classroom, but have been known to teach in the students classrooms on occasion when there were problems in my English classroom.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

• vanzant
  • Waygookin

• May 10, 2012, 09:50:10 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 02:44:07 pm »
SO the main consensus in elementary school is that most of the time the NET is in the classroom.  The teachers at my school are being very funny.  I think many teachers want to be in that room.  To me, I don't mind either way because I will leave in August of next year.  It is very funny to watch them scamper for anything new.  They all want it.  I think in the end all of my classes will be held in this room.  But to see them try to reason themselves into why they should be in that room is rather amusing.
youtube.com/educateyouseoul
Josh VanZant
educateyourseoul@gmail.com

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 03:05:35 pm »
I have my own classroom.

The English room is quite large, it's split in 2 by a semi-divider (big opening in the middle of it. One side is the classroom, the other side is the desks for myself and the 2 Korean English teachers plus some benches and whatnot that rarely get used.

I teach all of my classes in the English room.  When my coteachers (the other 2 English teachers) have their own classes, they go to the students homeroom.  In the past I had homeroom teachers as "coteachers" (not that they did much) and they had to come to the English room.

The English room is my sole domain; everyone comes to me.   :evil:
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• bjinglee
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 10:29:48 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 03:14:59 pm »
In both my schools I've had my own room. Other teachers have to ask permission to use it, and I'm allowed to arrange it and decorate it exactly the way I want. However, I'm also responsible for keeping it clean and taking care of things if something breaks. 

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 03:27:12 pm »
My school has 2 English rooms.  I share the main English room with my head co t and it doubles as our office. I think I would go crazy if I had to have my desk in the teachers office... so much noise...

• 5mori
  • Adventurer

• May 25, 2012, 09:21:38 am
    • Gunpo
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 10:05:10 pm »
I once worked at a high school which had a separate room specifically for English classes.  After I'd been there a few months, we stopped using it, and from then on I went to the students' homerooms.

When my co-teachers first proposed this, I was taken aback and found the prospect of visiting 20 different rooms each week to be, well, kind of depressing.  However, I came to understand their reasoning, and actually agreed with them (I could have kept teaching in the separate English room if I had wanted to).  Sadly, the feature that helped facilitate group work was also the undoing of it all - the round tables in the room.   The students just read the round tables as encouragement to be loud and out of control.  Classroom management was easier with the less pedagogically sound rows of desks.  Sad, but true.