Read 2870 times

• kimchi4me
  • Veteran

• December 23, 2012, 03:39:41 pm
    • bucheon
Any experience getting an online teachers degree?
« on: November 29, 2013, 02:12:12 pm »
Hey all,

If you have any info that would be great. I want to continue living here in Korea but would like to get into the International Schools. I heard they only accept "real" teachers lol. So I was wondering if any of u have any experience getting your teaching degree/license while abroad.

Also for any of you who are Canadian and who are licensed teachers. How long did it take back home and how much did it cost approximately?

thanks

Re: Any experience getting an online teachers degree?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 02:39:46 pm »
Firstly, this isn't a snide comment.

You want to be a 'real' (lol) teacher but you can't do basic research first before asking for advice?

Being a proper teacher, by definition, is a profession. A profession requires professional employees in whatever field it is [academic or sport]. Being a real teacher involves a lot of work, effort, and time, whether in training or once qualified.

If you are unable to do a simply google search for how long/how much a course would be/cost back in your respective country, are you really ready to move onto teaching at an International school?

Once again, this isn't an argumentative reply, just a realisation as to what is required.

Being a proper member of a society requires being able and willing to cooperate and help others. If you are unable to simply answer a simple question or keep quiet when you cannot answer at least helpfully, are you really ready to be seen and heard by other people? Are you ready to be responsible for the academic and personal growth of others?

This is not an argumentative reply, just a point of order regarding what it means to be a basic, well-rounded person. Also, you misused the word "respective" ("relating to each of two or more things"). If you are unable to know the definition of a simple word, are you really ready to teach?

OP, I'm curious about this too. I also want to continue living here but use my spare time to pick up a new degree that could further my professional goals. If I see something useful, I'll get back to you. Good luck! :azn:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:44:36 pm by oatmealkooky »

• hick
  • Adventurer

• February 22, 2013, 05:53:55 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 02:54:25 pm »
I'm sure this would be of interest to many people, me included...so i'm going to jump on this thread.

I'll be doing further research in the near future and if i find anything of interest will get back to you.

• mr
  • Veteran

• October 31, 2012, 07:47:33 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 03:12:18 pm »
As far as I know international schools want 2 years real teaching experience...not assistant aka esl monkey experience.
I'm starting a PGCE next year (online and distance learning-2 years). After getting the degree I want to find a "real" teaching job in the Gulf or Brunei or Malaysia or Hong Kong for 2 years, and then I'll apply for an international school job back in K land.

I'm enrolled at UNISA and tuition fees are about 3.5 million for the degree.

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 10:36:14 pm »
Pls stick to the topic, thx. 1/3
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• Redondo
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2012, 05:28:11 am
    • toronto
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 12:00:03 am »
To be fair it's hard to get information about education and other things online. Especially when you are in a situation that is not extremely common.

Sometimes you need to send e-mails, and you still don't get answers to your questions. Obviously you should start with a general search first and then use the forum for more specific things that people may have experience with, but that doesn't mean that you can't get general information also.

Anyway, I think most Canadian university will let you do any program that you can do in person online (unless if it's something that would be limited, like say a lab-based science degree), but you have to check individal websites.

• moog
  • Veteran

• November 08, 2012, 01:54:12 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 12:20:07 am »
I'm presently enrolled in Teacher Ready (teacherready.org).

I know for a fact that there are a number of regular members on this site that are in the same cohort or have already been through the whole program.

It's an alternative certification program primarily geared towards professionals that are desiring a career change, military spouses, and nowadays, English teachers in international locations.

You can finish the program in 9 months, it's inexpensive (comparatively speaking), and you can  have your license in under a year.

Of course, there's a "catch"...

You need to take several exams Stateside (unless you're military or related) and many states that have "reciprocity" with Florida usually want other criteria as well before they will grant you a teacher's license that is valid within their state.

In terms of international schools in Korea, yes, all of the well-established (bigger) schools have the "pick of the litter" so to speak and will usually only consider seasoned teachers. But there are a bunch of smaller international schools as well that may help you get your "foot in the door".

In reply to Philontour, I love how people will say, "No offense, but..." or "Don't want to be snide but..." and that is EXACTLY what they actually end up doing.... lol cracks me up only because I catch myself doing the same thing...

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 04:31:56 pm »
to go off of what moog said.

Teacher Ready got  me teaching stateside.

They also help get you positions at international schools, and are very good about it. You can do his while abroad, they are very accommodating. Bout the only "catch" is...

...should you be applying to schools in the states, Teacher Ready really helps you out in getting a job. If they are international schools, then obviously there is not much they can do in convincing a school to hire you, and that has to come from you.  But if you find a school willing to either student teach you or hire you full time, then Teacher Ready will really take charge and help you out and get you squared away.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 09:36:49 am »
So for Teacher Ready, would I have to return to the US at some point to finish the program? Who can serve as a mentor teacher? Am I out of luck if I don't have a public school position in Korea where I can get a mentor teacher?

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 09:48:00 am »
So for Teacher Ready, would I have to return to the US at some point to finish the program? Who can serve as a mentor teacher? Am I out of luck if I don't have a public school position in Korea where I can get a mentor teacher?

Yes, public school teachers, and yes out of luck, though you could lie and probably get away with it.
the most vile expat blog of the vortex of filth that is the ROK.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 01:56:25 pm »
Man, Teacher Ready sounds amazing...you guys are so lucky.

I've been looking at becoming a registered teacher, but in NZ that means a year of full-time study (during which you need to be available in the country). Then you need to work for two years in the field in NZ, with mentors, and undergo various assessments before you can fully register yourself.

What a pain.

• b of nc
  • Veteran

• September 09, 2010, 12:02:53 pm
    • Mom's basement
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 07:08:03 pm »

Yes, public school teachers, and yes out of luck, though you could lie and probably get away with it.

I'm getting ready to jump into Teacher Ready this coming February. I take it that you have done it before American I.K.? Do you have to go back for the exams straight away or is there time to line it up with vacation here??
-Tea Master-in-chief

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 10:34:43 pm »
Plenty of time to do it. They give you like a year, though most complete the tests before the program is up.
the most vile expat blog of the vortex of filth that is the ROK.