Read 2686 times

someone gave out my phone number
« on: November 28, 2013, 02:35:17 pm »
ok so here's my problem, and I swear I'm not trolling.

someone in my area, a "friend" (since really those are the only people with my number) gave out my phone number to random people along with messages to "meet up" with and basically have a booty call.
the first time I thought it was a practical joke. the second time I was worried, the third time I just got pissed. all of the callers are foreigners who speak English. at first I would answer the calls and just tell them they had the wrong number, after that stopped working and the messages kept coming (texts too at this point) I started blocking numbers on my cell phone, however they keep coming.
I've already been to the phone store to get my number changed and they said that because I was a foreigner they wouldn't do it. (a trustworthy Korean friend took me and translated for me)
has anyone been in a similar situation with a phone store and know how to convince them to let me change it? I even offered to pay a fee and they still wouldn't since I'm a "waygookin".

Re: someone gave out my phone number
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 02:46:22 pm »
Be careful.  I've heard that phone numbers get recycled in Korea so you may have someone else's old number.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 02:48:20 pm by WestMeetsEast »

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 02:49:06 pm »
yeah, phone numbers do get recycled in korea,

i have had my number changed before. it shouldnt be a problem.

what carrier are you using? have you tried calling the service-center and speaking to the English Service person?
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 02:50:39 pm »
Most smartphones can be configured to block all calls from unknown sources. What phone are you using?

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 02:56:53 pm »
Your "friend" did it as a joke I imagine (bad taste or not).

I'd wager within a few days the calls will stop coming and you can go back to normal.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 03:00:55 pm »

someone in my area, a "friend" (since really those are the only people with my number) gave out my phone number to random people along with messages to "meet up" with and basically have a booty call.
the first time I thought it was a practical joke. the second time I was worried, the third time I just got pissed. all of the callers are foreigners who speak English. at first I would answer the calls and just tell them they had the wrong number, after that stopped working and the messages kept coming (texts too at this point) I started blocking numbers on my cell phone, however they keep coming.
I've already been to the phone store to get my number changed and they said that because I was a foreigner they wouldn't do it. (a trustworthy Korean friend took me and translated for me)
has anyone been in a similar situation with a phone store and know how to convince them to let me change it? I even offered to pay a fee and they still wouldn't since I'm a "waygookin".

Go to the phone company directly. They WILL change it for you. You might have to go to the one in a big city. Just do it. It isn't worth your time.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 07:48:50 am »
Also make sure you take note of all the numbers that have been calling you and write them on the walls of men's public washrooms.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 08:32:36 am »

They are not allowed to stop you from changing your number, you need to call your service provider. they must let you change!

• spidertao
  • Adventurer

• January 04, 2011, 01:44:44 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 08:26:12 am »
lol

i would ask for their picture

and then post it on the internet for men-on-men meetups hahaha =)

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 03:05:30 pm »

Sounds like someone wrote your number on a bathroom wall or something.  At any rate, go to the police and file a complaint.  Maybe they can call some of these numbers and pay them a visit.  They can track down who gave this info out.  If you really want to screw with them sue them for libel.  Libel laws in this country are quite strong.  Spreading rumors in Korea is a big no no even if they're true.  (More damning if you can secretly record them and catch them in the act.)  Do you know who did it?  Cops might be lazy, but it's sexual harassment and you are feeling unsafe.  Try to cry and yell too if they don't want to respond.  Act like an emotional traditional Korean.  I think the cops are being forced to take this more seriously than before when it's a Korean woman involved. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:07:33 pm by weigookin74 »