Read 5868 times

12 Days of Christmas Game for Post Exam Period
« on: November 28, 2013, 11:49:20 am »
Hi there, this is my first lesson post. I just finished making a game based on 'The 12 days of Christmas' song, which I think the students will really enjoy after their exams, and I thought I'd share it. I have adapted some previous ppt's that I found on here, so thank you to those people who have previously posted.

How to play the game: PPT is pretty self explanatory - it is based on a kind of pictionary concept. Split the class into teams of about 5/6 and give each team a whiteboard and marker pen. Basically, the students listen to the song in full, then we go through each day in the song - the students have to draw what they think each gift is e.g. "a partridge in a pear tree". Even if they do not know what a "partridge" is, I will tell them they must draw something, have a guess, I expect the reults will be quite amusing. Points will be awarded for accuracy and artistic merit - at the teacher's discretion - so even if they do not get any points for accuracy, they may still get points on artistic merit if it is a good picture. Obviously feel free to change up the scoring to suit yourselves.

There are Bonus slides too, where the basic aim is for the students to remember the lyrics of the song and count backwards e.g. on the 2nd day of christmas my true love gave to me, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree etc.

I haven't yet tried this lesson, but I think the students will enjoy it and it's just for a bit of fun really. Let me know how you get on. Cheers!

Re: 12 Days of Christmas Game for Post Exam Period
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 11:59:33 am »
I forgot: On the slide that says 'listen to the song' you will need to find it on YouTube (there's lots of them), I would embed it, but I don't know how?  :undecided: And obviously instead of drwaing for example 7 swans a swimming, they can just draw one swan to represent - otherwise your students might be there all day drawing out the pictures for the larger numbers...

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 12:21:31 pm »
I think this will be a fun activity for after school classes. Thanks for this. It looks like fun!
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

• mikeD
  • Super Waygook

• March 31, 2013, 07:46:49 pm
    • Geoje, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 01:15:20 pm »
I will try it for my after school class today. Great idea!  I will let you know how it goes. Thanks!

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 01:55:19 pm »
That'd be great, thanks!

• gummydrops
  • Waygookin

• July 05, 2011, 02:59:48 am
    • Arlington, TX
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 10:41:37 am »
I've used this lesson three times now, and it's awesome. My students have a blast and I do too because it's HILARIOUS.

While students are coming into my classroom, I have this karaoke version playing on the screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8FdRvu_6MM. This way students can see the words and hear the tune (probably recognizing it), but not see any images of the content.

After introducing the song and activity, I play this Reliant K version (starts a bit in because this isn't a legal posting :p ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in9D5UR5K_c

And while I'm distributing candy to all students (come on--it's for Christmas! And scoring is super subjective), I play this version, which has the words and images: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGtAa3klQNk  Pretty awesome to hear them singing along.

Thanks, OP. Creating engaging activities for mentally checked-out 3rd graders is an extraordinary feat.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 11:06:15 am »
What age do you use this for, it seems like a blast but I'm not sure how my HS would take to it

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 01:35:42 pm »
Wow! Thanks for the positive feedback - glad you liked it! I am still waiting (and itching) to use it after the kids have finished their exams in a couple of weeks, but I'm very pleased it seems to work so well. I never know how a lesson's going to turn out until I've taught it a few times and often made a few tweeks!

I wrote this lesson for middle schoolers, but I don't see why HS kids couldn't try it? Give it a go... best of luck!

• emwsu
  • Veteran

• November 28, 2010, 09:19:06 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 02:58:23 pm »
I have pretty low HS kids, I think this will be funny! I'll use it in a few classes that I haven't had canceled as much. But I don't think I could handle listening to the song with all my classes!

As an extra, if you need time, especially with the older kids. I might show a cleaner parody and see if they have ideas on how to change the song.

Looks good! Thanks!