Read 15254 times

Lol..dont ask me anything in Korean.  I just live here! ;D

LOL

Anyways, I've found the opposite to be true in my case. I find most Koreans just talk at me in Korean expecting me to understand everything they are saying.

I can understand sometimes, but then sometimes I get lost.

For some reason lately, a lot of taxi drivers have been wanting to converse with me. I was actually proud that I was able to have a basic conversation with them.

I also think it helps though that my fiancee is Korean so basically I just mimic her pronunciation as best I can.

The blank stare is the worst.  I'm in no way good at Korean but my pronunciation is understandable.  I'm always tempted to throw a "Don't you understand Korean?" back at them all innocent and dripping with sarcasm (that will undoubtedly go over their heads) whenever someone does that...

• Boquoi
  • Veteran

• February 23, 2013, 09:48:23 pm
The 1000 won thing can be beggars too (and might be more-so beggars in Seoul than elsewhere), but there are some ajussi who will just straight up ask for 1000 won because they need it for the bus or something and just need some change. This happens even in rural areas, where ajumas will ask for money too to ride the bus.

Ah I have never been asked for money like that. I live in a city so I guess it doesn't really happen here. I asked my Korean friend too and she said it has never happened to her.

To be honest I don't know how I would react if someone asked me for money for a bus. I feel like back home this is just on of those a sob stories used by beggars.

I don't care what the peppered octopus is called, it tastes the same as the peppered pork.

That's a real shame. I feel sorry for people who are insensitive to taste.

• Chadwickhhs
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2012, 07:04:14 pm
    more
I don't care what the peppered octopus is called, it tastes the same as the peppered pork.

Me too. They don't know that they're eating the lowest grade materials slathered in hasty cover-up.

Oh, was that you being snide? You're right I must be missing out because I didn't catch that you were bitter about the fact Korean food is nothing but novelty food to the rest of the world.

In Japan I'd get the same treatment as Korea but I can still read and listen to shows and games and order food that is worth remembering the name of. I don't care what the peppered octopus is called, it tastes the same as the peppered pork.

I lived in Japan for a while and can speak passable Japanese: I didn't really feel like I was treated crappy for not being good enough at the language. In Sendai in particular people would buy me drinks because I could speak to them in Japanese and they were just super amazed and friendly. I will say that there is a very patronizing element to it with many people along the lines of "wow! you're so good with chopsticks!" you get here. A friend of mine speaks fluent Japanese and sometimes when she meets people she's made appointments with over the phone they just give her a "but seriously where's the Japanese person I spoke to over the phone?" kinda spiel.

And for the record, learning to read Japanese is the absolute worst part of the language. If you don't brute force memorize kanji for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour every day you'll get seriously bogged down trying to make any progress beyond numbers and things like river, inside, mountain, water, etc. I have every reason to love Japanese and I still ****ing despise kanji and all non-Chinese I know that try to learn it say the same.

Me too. They don't know that they're eating the lowest grade materials slathered in hasty cover-up.

Oh, was that you being snide? You're right I must be missing out because I didn't catch that you were bitter about the fact Korean food is nothing but novelty food to the rest of the world.

Does that make him an "apologist"? :shocked: