Read 8291 times

Re: If you are sick, GET THE FLU SHOT
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 01:56:49 pm »
I like how no real evidence was provided. Also, I got mine last year. Guess what? Never been more sick in my life in one winter than last year. I will get it again most likely but not so that I can be sick free this year.

Plus, you don't take into account people who are sick and haev been here a while. Been here 2.5 yrs. I am not stressed about the move, my immune system should be adapted, and I have seen these same kids for the longest time.

What kind of evidence for or against flu shots are you looking for? OP already provided a link to a message from the CDC and another one from another medical site.

Seriously, why WOULDN'T someone want to get a flu shot? It isn't a magical cure-all or a stop-all, but it does help vastly lessen the odds of getting influenza.

• Ryan
  • Veteran

• November 24, 2009, 01:24:23 pm
    • Yeosu
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 02:24:18 pm »
I like how no real evidence was provided. Also, I got mine last year. Guess what? Never been more sick in my life in one winter than last year. I will get it again most likely but not so that I can be sick free this year.

Plus, you don't take into account people who are sick and haev been here a while. Been here 2.5 yrs. I am not stressed about the move, my immune system should be adapted, and I have seen these same kids for the longest time.

What kind of evidence for or against flu shots are you looking for? OP already provided a link to a message from the CDC and another one from another medical site.

Seriously, why WOULDN'T someone want to get a flu shot? It isn't a magical cure-all or a stop-all, but it does help vastly lessen the odds of getting influenza.

I'm looking for any scientific evidence that flu shot works better than say.... proper nutrition, Vit D from sun, avoiding garbage etc.   So are billions of other people.    Please post it.

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 02:35:24 pm »
When i was gettin my routine shots, i asked about the influenza shot as well, it was quite pricey, but working with little ones i really wanted to be sick free, according to the doc, it wasn't a necessary shot unless I was old or with a low immune system, or both. So I ended up not taking it. It's not the flu that really worries me, i can handle being sick, it's the stomach flu(noro virus i think it's called ) that worries me, there isn't a shot for that, and according to studies disinfectant hardly works, though disinfectant with alcohol in does...can't stand throwing up continuosly...

• spidertao
  • Adventurer

• January 04, 2011, 01:44:44 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 02:36:58 pm »
Hey man, I'm not saying anything countering what you're saying at all. All I'm saying is don't go for weird remedies such as onion soup or expensive nutritional supplements when you should get a flu shot, reduce your contact with sick people, and get more rest. I'm gonna assume you're leading healthy well fed lives too!
And evidence for flu shots? Dude it's a vaccine man... Vaccines wouldn't be vaccines if they didn't work and they do work lol

It's like malaria vaccines, you would get vaccinated if you went to like Somalia but you could still also get sick. The flu shot combined 2-5 of the most common and least adapted to strains of flu for the year and then given to you. How many strains depends on how much you pay btw.

If you're getting sick you're either not getting the right batch or it just completely took over your own immune system which is how the shot works, making your own immune system fight off the infection

• spidertao
  • Adventurer

• January 04, 2011, 01:44:44 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 02:40:08 pm »
every single MEDICAL INSTITUTION in the world recommends people to get annual flu shots.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/winterhealth/Pages/Fluandthefluvaccine.aspx

you're an absolute idiot man.
Moderators, please take note.

Ok now I know you're just skimming through the pages!! The website you linked says people over 65 and young children get FREE flu shots because they are the ones most at risk. They then say all others need to pay in some form or the other. Which is kind of how most first world country governments also do. Please re read the website you posted man

Sorry about calling you an idiot, I usually don't do personal attacks cuz it invalids whatever arguments I do have. I did send you a heart though. <3 and I sent it again =)

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 02:41:55 pm »
From the US CDC regarding estimated counts of influenza cases that were prevented by flu shots:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0066312

---------------------
That's it. I've had this debate before so I'm looking for older articles that I've read and since I'm not on my home PC, and I don't use waygook.org when I'm not at work, I'm not going to do it.

You can google in circles and find just as many articles in support of flu shots and just as many articles against it from politicians, skeptics, health care professionals, immunologists, doctors, and whatever else. You can confirm your bias or challenge it. I don't care.

For my money, I don't think flu shots are part of a vast conspiracy to get you to buy more cough syrup, I don't think they make you autistic, a person has more of a chance of getting hit by a car on their walk home than they do of dying from Guillain-Barre or whatever - for me, the benefit of getting a flu shot vastly outweighs the downside of not getting one.

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 27, 2011, 10:26:20 am
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 02:45:04 pm »

The kind that is peer reviewed, med/science study. Not the kind where some random guy on a forum says so.

And I got my shot last year and said I would again.

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 02:55:20 pm »

The kind that is peer reviewed, med/science study. Not the kind where some random guy on a forum says so.

That's a pretty easy debate tactic to use - here let me try it:

Why do I have to defend my stance? Where is your evidence? I want peer reviewed scholarly articles and not just some anecdotal evidence from somebody who got the sniffles last year and called it the flu and some other random guy on the forum claiming to be a biochemistry major.

Go find me evidence.

Nope. I didn't like that one. Of COURSE that source would say THAT. Open your eyes, man!!!

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 02:59:46 pm »
I haven't gotten the flu since 6th grade. I also don't eat as healthy as I should. I've also never gotten a flu shot.. I can't tell you what my secret is. Maybe I have a superpower against the flu.

• acousticr
  • Expert Waygook

• January 24, 2013, 11:42:50 am
    • Gyeonggi
    more
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 03:01:59 pm »
I haven't gotten the flu since 6th grade. I also don't eat as healthy as I should. I've also never gotten a flu shot.. I can't tell you what my secret is. Maybe I have a superpower against the flu.

Captain Immunity! Dodges viruses, evades bacteria, and outwits influenza!

Next issue: Captain Immunity vs Mr Sniffles!
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 03:08:16 pm »

That's a pretty easy debate tactic to use - here let me try it:

Why do I have to defend my stance? Where is your evidence? I want peer reviewed scholarly articles and not just some anecdotal evidence from somebody who got the sniffles last year and called it the flu and some other random guy on the forum claiming to be a biochemistry major.

Go find me evidence.

Nope. I didn't like that one. Of COURSE that source would say THAT. Open your eyes, man!!!

What evidence do I need to provide? The person that started this topic has to provide it to support his/her arguments. I didn't say not getting it or getting it is bad or good. But why should I just jump up and go get a shot b/c some random internet guy said so? He is the one using anecdotal evidence saying he has rarely been sick since getting them. I countered with my anecdotal story of being most sick ever after getting one last year. so basically I just shot down his crappy argument. Now if he showed me something more substantive then I would have to question why I got so sick after getting mine. But he didn't. The burden of proof doesn't lie with me, but with the OP.

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 03:20:28 pm »
Um, I thought that the link that loswillyams provided did a pretty good job of showing why a person should get the flu shot. I guess you wouldn't believe it, if you don't believe in the CDC, but since it's a peer reviewed study, my fears are assuaged.

I have a question for the anti-flu shot people though. What should I do if I neglect to get a flu shot, and then get the flu?
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

• acousticr
  • Expert Waygook

• January 24, 2013, 11:42:50 am
    • Gyeonggi
    more
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 03:23:30 pm »
What evidence do I need to provide? The person that started this topic has to provide it to support his/her arguments. I didn't say not getting it or getting it is bad or good. But why should I just jump up and go get a shot b/c some random internet guy said so? He is the one using anecdotal evidence saying he has rarely been sick since getting them. I countered with my anecdotal story of being most sick ever after getting one last year. so basically I just shot down his crappy argument. Now if he showed me something more substantive then I would have to question why I got so sick after getting mine. But he didn't. The burden of proof doesn't lie with me, but with the OP.

They're both anecdotal, and individual cases don't show any kind of pattern or trend. Bad luck getting so sick last year, that sucks. I've heard plenty of stories from people who got sick even though they got flu shots, but here's the thing: the newest strains of influenza that go around, that have mutated since the last batch - those aren't in the vaccine you got. To prepare for the fall/winter vaccination season, vaccines are made early in the year. Do you remember the way they scrambled to create a vaccine for H1N1, and have enough supplies to vaccinate people at risk, and then people who opted for it? These things take time and since it's an annual thing, it's not on anyone's emergency list - unless the new strains are particularly dangerous. They prepare for the rush by getting started early.

So by getting the flu shot each year, you're building up immunity to the flu strains that are already out there, but you're not protecting yourself against new strains that hadn't appeared yet when the vaccines were produced. Getting a vaccine doesn't make it impossible for you to get sick.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 03:27:58 pm »

They're both anecdotal, and individual cases don't show any kind of pattern or trend. Bad luck getting so sick last year, that sucks. I've heard plenty of stories from people who got sick even though they got flu shots, but here's the thing: the newest strains of influenza that go around, that have mutated since the last batch - those aren't in the vaccine you got. To prepare for the fall/winter vaccination season, vaccines are made early in the year. Do you remember the way they scrambled to create a vaccine for H1N1, and have enough supplies to vaccinate people at risk, and then people who opted for it? These things take time and since it's an annual thing, it's not on anyone's emergency list - unless the new strains are particularly dangerous. They prepare for the rush by getting started early.

So by getting the flu shot each year, you're building up immunity to the flu strains that are already out there, but you're not protecting yourself against new strains that hadn't appeared yet when the vaccines were produced. Getting a vaccine doesn't make it impossible for you to get sick.

Yes, I realize how vaccines work. Again, I am not saying they work or don't. I got one last year, I will get one this year.

And yes they are both anecdotal. That is why I said this:Now if he showed me something more substantive then I would have to question why I got so sick after getting mine. If someone gives me credible evidence then I am a big enough person to step back, examine it, and question my current beliefs about said situation. I do not believe that me getting sick was from the flu shot and had I not gotten it I would have been at least that sick maybe worse.

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2013, 03:33:11 pm »
I literally registered to this website so I can post this.

You registered 2 and a half years ago.   :lipsrsealed:

Thread under review.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:36:27 pm by justanotherwaygook »
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.