Read 1861 times

• wovaki
  • Adventurer

• November 14, 2013, 05:25:14 am
    • Ontario, Canada
Applying to schools
« on: November 16, 2013, 04:43:53 am »
Hi again everyone,

I'm looking to find a job in Busan, South Korea. Either in private or public schools and I have a couple questions:

• I'm looking at starting in the Fall 2014 intake. When should I apply? I want to make sure I get in soon enough to maximize my chances of getting placed in Busan.
  • I'm a computer science major so I don't have any teaching experience or classes that are teaching related. What kind of things should I get my professors to put on my reference letters?
  • Would it be considered too short of a time to use a professor as a reference who I've only had for one class? One of the professors I want to use is great and we get along great, but I only had her for one class.
  • Would there be any problem with applying for EPIK and private schools at the same time? I just want to maximize my job opportunities and don't want to miss out on any opportunities because I only applied to one or the other.
  • What about using multiple recruiters to apply to hagwons?

Sorry for the massive amount of questions. I just want to make sure I'm prepared.

Thanks!

Rob
ESL Archive - Free ESL activities.
http://eslarchive.com/

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
Re: Applying to schools
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 11:24:06 am »
1. I'm looking at starting in the Fall 2014 intake. When should I apply? I want to make sure I get in soon enough to maximize my chances of getting placed in Busan.

now, never too early to apply. and by apply I mean, get your documents ready, which can take months. After getting your documents, then start contacting recruiters. Nobody will listen to you or hear you out until you get those. just remember that those FBI checks (if in states) runs out after 6 months. So plan accordingly.

2.I'm a computer science major so I don't have any teaching experience or classes that are teaching related. What kind of things should I get my professors to put on my reference letters?

its a character reference...so your character. please dont tell me you want like a cheat sheet? like "you should be this and this and this". cuuus thats a lie brej!

3.Would it be considered too short of a time to use a professor as a reference who I've only had for one class? One of the professors I want to use is great and we get along great, but I only had her for one class.

nobody is going to check your reference, they are not going to call or e-mail him. its a formality. to make sure you are real person. think of it like adding a CAPTCHA to your application.

4.Would there be any problem with applying for EPIK and private schools at the same time? I just want to maximize my job opportunities and don't want to miss out on any opportunities because I only applied to one or the other.

nope, and dont let anyone tell you otherwise. However you will only be applying to one government sponsored recruiter at a time. applying to multiple gov sponsored programs is a no-no.  you can also try and skip the recruiter hassle and go for direct hires, but uhh good luck, best to be in country for that.

5.What about using multiple recruiters to apply to hagwons?

same answer as above. multiple hagwon recruiters is A-O-Kay! multiple public school recruiters is a DUHN-DUHN-DUUUHHHNNN

unless lets say GEPIK rejects you, you can then try another.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:26:38 am by Wintermute »

• wovaki
  • Adventurer

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:24:09 am »
Thanks for the great replies everyone!

Just to clarrify, Wintermute, I'm NOT looking for a cheat sheet!! The EPIK guideline for recommendation letter said "Please write specific information attesting to the applicant’s ability to teach in Korea." so I thought it was looking for skills specifically. The template also says 1 to 2 pages, so it made me wonder exactly how much they're looking for? Most character references I've seen have been about half a page or so long. Would that be acceptable?

Troglodyte, do you have a list of reputable recruiters? I know I could just go and search online, but some of the ones I have contacted won't get back to me and I've heard bad stories about others.

Also, I want to teach in Busan and I heard it's highly competitive. You said I could likely find a job within about 4 weeks, do you think that's possible for Busan as well? My girlfriend lives in Busan, that's why I need to go there.

Thanks everyone!

Rob

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 01:35:05 pm »
Getting into Busan public school is really difficult.......... There was big cuts there last year.......

I'd say Hogwan but be really careful who you sign on with..... I had a friend get badly screwed over there when he first came!!
Rocking out in the ROK!!! :D

• wovaki
  • Adventurer

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 11:54:16 pm »
Getting into Busan public school is really difficult.......... There was big cuts there last year.......

I'd say Hogwan but be really careful who you sign on with..... I had a friend get badly screwed over there when he first came!!

Yes, I heard about that. How about getting into areas close to Busan, such as Daegu or Ulsan?

Do you know how hard it is to get into a hagwon in Busan?

• wovaki
  • Adventurer

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 11:55:47 pm »
Troglodyte, do you have a list of reputable recruiters? I know I could just go and search online, but some of the ones I have contacted won't get back to me and I've heard bad stories about others.

There are fewer honest recruiters in Korea than you have fingers on your feet. They are no better than used car salesmen.

Just make up a form letter and send it to EVERY recruiter you can find. Wait to see what offers you get.

Thanks for the advice, Troglodyte! Sorry though, what do you mean by a "form letter?"

Recruiters usually send out your applications to schools for you, right? Or do I have to continually go to their website or call them to see what's available?

Thanks!

Rob