Read 1916 times

• wcor1465
  • Explorer

• April 30, 2013, 02:19:24 pm
    • South Korea
One-on-one tutoring - What do you do there?
« on: November 15, 2013, 12:05:21 pm »
One idea to keep your students engaged if you're tutoring:

My student loves being in motion constantly.  He has a lot of energy.  One idea: place 3 markers on the ground.  Each marker represents a location.  What do you do there?

Example:

Grocery Store
     At the grocery store I buy things for my home.  This is where I buy food we can cook.

(move to next spot)
School
     At school I see my friends and study.  We have fun and learn a lot!

(move to next spot)
Home
     At home I study and play with my brothers and sisters.

Simple!

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• August 23, 2013, 10:29:05 am
    • Seoul
Re: One-on-one tutoring - What do you do there?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 11:27:37 am »
One-on-one tutoring is really easy, and heavily dependent on the individual student's personality. My student is nowhere near as energetic as yours sounds.
 I have to go to an extremely rural school on Fridays, and the 3rd grade class is literally one student... not really a "class," and I solo-teach it.
He had never learned any English whatsoever before 3rd grade but his English is already excelling beyond many of my other students. He doesn't parrot the language and rely on "key expressions" they teach in the books, he actually thinks in the language and gets creative with it, which is really, really good.
With this student I teach mostly in a conversational style, and honestly just speed through the textbook portions so that I can immediately get to focusing on his strengths and weaknesses, which is really the best part of teaching one-on-one, focusing on areas they can improve and need to improve the most.
Because I teach him for two hours straight, I normally spend the second hour just playing a simple game like Go-fish with him and converse in English asking him questions while playing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:34:06 am by cjszk »

• jasonc
  • Newgookin

• October 07, 2013, 09:10:26 am
    • Korea
Re: One-on-one tutoring - What do you do there?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 07:31:33 am »
What recommendations do you have for teaching a single student who doesn't seem interested in learning or participating?