Read 1838 times

Chosun Ilbo: Are Koreans Too Intractable?
« on: November 14, 2013, 11:48:53 am »
Chosun Ilbo: Are Koreans Too Intractable?

I thought this guy's editorial in the Chosun Ilbo was pretty interesting. He discusses what Korea must do to be taken more seriously in the international community. And though his underlying issue is that Korea should be taken more seriously so that it can more effectively try to bully Japan, his insight is still worthwhile.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: Chosun Ilbo: Are Koreans Too Intractable?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 12:40:08 pm »
I had a bit of difficulty trying to peg the tone of his article: at some points he sounds like the stereotypical Korean nationalist, but at other times he is very frank -- almost scornful -- of Korea's shortcoming and what must be done to remedy them.

Without getting into my opinion about the matters (they've all been discussed to death in other threads) I gotta say the article was surprisingly balanced for the Ilbo!

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 12:55:58 pm »
Intresting. That's the second Korean article I've enjoyed today. Maybe I should make a habit of reading them more.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 12:58:26 pm »
Yeah, me too. At first I was like "Great, it's a thinly veiled Japan bashing," but then he chastised Koreans for being too hot-headed and untrustworthy. But then I realized he said Korea needs more respect so that the world will give it whatever it wants. So I'm like... Uh?

He raises an interesting question, though: Are nations like the US and China influential only because they are admired? (No, I'd say.) And can Korea force its worldview on others simply by being more respected? Would the world like Japan less if it liked Korea more? He seems to be under the impression (that I hear from many commentators here) that the world can only like one, Japan or Korea, and that we prefer Japan because of their food and society. This might explain why Korean politicians are so eager to spread the "Korea wave" around the globe.

Anyway, I'm wandering off topic.

• Andyroo
  • Expert Waygook

• February 09, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 01:13:06 pm »
I had a bit of difficulty trying to peg the tone of his article: at some points he sounds like the stereotypical Korean nationalist, but at other times he is very frank -- almost scornful -- of Korea's shortcoming and what must be done to remedy them.

Agreed.

The start sounded like he was suggesting they fake being the bigger man and secretly hide their rage so they could get one over Japan.

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• April 08, 2011, 01:56:38 pm
    • Icheon
    more
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 02:56:07 pm »
I like that he's willing to say that Korea needs to more carefully think about how its actions are viewed on the international stage. It's a pretty reasonable point.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 02:56:27 pm »
Perhaps Germany compensated victims of its World War II atrocities and repented so wholeheartedly because it had to face France, the U.K, and the U.S. at the other end of the table, whereas Japan is behaving so brazenly because it only had to deal with Korea.

I am so tired of this Korean bullshit thinking. It really pisses me off. Why do Korean's act like they are the only ones that Japan colonized? It is ridiculous! YARG!!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 03:20:31 pm »
He keeps saying Korea got it worse in WW2 from Japan. I think in terms of actual civilian lives lost in pacific theater, Korea had 4th worse (Indonesia, china and Philippines). In terms of % there were quite a few countries that suffered more. I guess they count losing face as worse than death. The Japanese murders here over 35 years of occupation here only barely exceeded one and a half months in Nanking.

Anyway, it was a good article and they better keep asking themselves why????
There was another nice article discussing why Korea China and Japan are the only countries that are obsessively concerned about foreigners opinions.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2980407

Worth a look and somewhat related.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 03:39:02 pm »
There was another nice article discussing why Korea China and Japan are the only countries that are obsessively concerned about foreigners opinions.

The three main countries obsessed with face.