Read 6172 times

Park Geun-hye visited the UK?
« on: November 07, 2013, 01:31:46 pm »
While chatting with some KTs at my school one of them asked me with great enthusiasm "did I see Park Geun-hye meeting the Queen on TV last night?"

I am British but wasn't aware of it before then, there was next to no mention of it on the BBC website or the Guardian.

Why do you think the BBC is not interested?

Is it not normal for such state visits to be reported on the BBC?

Re: Park Geun-hye visited the UK?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 01:53:19 pm »
The BBC had an interview with Park Geun-Hye on their website earlier this week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24768298

And there is an article about a Korean Film Festival starting in London today which coincides with her visit.

There was a lot of pomp and pageantry surrounding her meeting with dear old Liz, which might explain The Guardian's lack of coverage.

The Telegraph's website carried some footage of it though:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/queen-elizabeth-II/10427646/Royal-welcome-for-President-of-South-Korea.html

Not loads of coverage, true, but I don't think there is a deliberate lack of interest by the BBC.

• adfletch83
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2012, 11:01:40 pm
    • Daegu, ROK
    more
Have a nice Daegu!!

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 02:02:03 pm »
Thanks to both above, I had already seen all the articles mentioned.

I just thought it odd that the BBC only briefly mentioned the visit on the website rather than giving it it's own piece.

I guess no big deal just thought it was a little strange.

All the KTs at my school love it.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 04:03:03 pm »
Well The Empire is very important to Korea.  But Korea isn't so important to The Empire.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 05:54:27 pm »
I'm happy at any mention in the Korean media of the UK's involvement in the war as a lot of Koreans seem ignorant of it. To be fair, a lot of Brits are ignorant of the Commonwealth's involvment in WWll but the UK was the second biggest force in Korea and you could imagine the anger here if this were the other way round:

"Out of 16 nations that sent their armies to Korea, however, only the U.K. did not have a war memorial for some reason."

On a side note, when I was back in England this summer I got chatting to a Korean war veteren at a bus stop. He told me that of the thirty men he went out with only twelve came home. I mentioned that I was currently working in Korea and he looked at me like I was on drugs. I had to spout out some city names and Korean words to convince him. Nice old chap.

• sadpanda
  • Explorer

• November 07, 2013, 08:12:06 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 08:22:43 pm »
Well I certainly hope she brought some soft, lavender gloves to shake the queens hand with.

• qi
  • Veteran

• July 21, 2011, 12:16:33 pm
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 09:32:15 pm »
The BBC had an interview with Park Geun-Hye on their website earlier this week:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24768298

And there is an article about a Korean Film Festival starting in London today which coincides with her visit.

There was a lot of pomp and pageantry surrounding her meeting with dear old Liz, which might explain The Guardian's lack of coverage.

The Telegraph's website carried some footage of it though:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/queen-elizabeth-II/10427646/Royal-welcome-for-President-of-South-Korea.html

Not loads of coverage, true, but I don't think there is a deliberate lack of interest by the BBC.

I'm not a big fan of Parh Geun Hye but I could see why the Queen would respect her. It's unusual for a Korean (never mind a head of state) to remain single and without children. Normally they're trying to zerg in the next generation, so they can have them continue the rise of the sacred Taeguki master race, and tell everyone about the blessed 4 seasons, and the wonder of the kimchi. Park at least seems somewhat unconventional, especially for a Korean. Maybe too unconventional for my liking!

• BloosCorn
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2012, 08:04:13 am
    • Yecheon, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 09:54:59 pm »
I'm not a big fan of Parh Geun Hye but I could see why the Queen would respect her. It's unusual for a Korean (never mind a head of state) to remain single and without children. Normally they're trying to zerg in the next generation, so they can have them continue the rise of the sacred Taeguki master race, and tell everyone about the blessed 4 seasons, and the wonder of the kimchi. Park at least seems somewhat unconventional, especially for a Korean. Maybe too unconventional for my liking!

Unusual for a Korean not to have kids? The birth rate is by most all measures in the top five lowest in the world. The confucian heritage bit of carrying your line on nonwithstanding, I'd dare say not having children is super Korean.

• Deez
  • Veteran

• June 29, 2013, 02:38:08 am
    • Gyeonggi-do
    more
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 07:46:31 am »
You do realize how many world leaders visit countries like England annually, don't you? The media generally doesn't report this type of thing unless it's a country of importance like China or the US. Outside of the Korean peninsula, South Korea is hardly a country worth discussing to most people. This is why you have the Korean media playing up the visit, while the Brits hardly care.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:48:07 am by Deez »

• K
  • Super Waygook

• November 03, 2010, 05:38:27 pm
    • SK
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 07:56:42 am »
I heard she tripped on her hanbok while arriving at a dinner hosted by the mayor of London, got up gracefully and said, "Dramatic entry." Then, when she exited she said, "Quiet exit."

I quite liked that.

Found a source: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2013/11/116_145874.html
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:58:33 am by K »

• adfletch83
  • Super Waygook

• Daegu, ROK
    more
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 08:47:22 am »
I can just imagine what Prince Phil has been saying to her. "now then love, what's all this fuss about that rock between you and the sushi-brigade?"  :-[
Have a nice Daegu!!

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 09:09:19 am »
Ah Prince Phil, what a legend and a national asset.

"Well The Empire is very important to Korea.  But Korea isn't so important to The Empire."

This is probably pretty close to the mark, even if it is foolish for the UK to dismiss Korea. Korea has way more spending power than our sorry little group of islands these days.

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 11:38:16 am »
Park Geun-Hye met the Queen eh?

So one comes from a tiny insignificant country and is an old trout looking creature of the night, presiding over a homogeneous xenophobic and fascist culture that is barely relevant in today's world, hanging on the coat tails of past generations including her father just looking for an excuse to take the entire country back to the 1500's.

And the other one is.... 

Korean! HA! I crack myself up.

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 12:56:20 pm »

So one comes from a tiny insignificant country and is an old trout looking creature of the night, presiding over a homogeneous xenophobic and fascist culture that is barely relevant in today's world, hanging on the coat tails of past generations including her father just looking for an excuse to take the entire country back to the 1500's.

And the other one is.... 

Yeah, hilarious... practically pissing myself here.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 01:45:14 pm by Space »

• adfletch83
  • Super Waygook

• Daegu, ROK
    more
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 01:42:45 pm »

And the other one is.... 

Have a nice Daegu!!

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 07:06:58 pm »
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/Article.aspx?aid=2980365

So, the Korean media are again complaining about their mistreatment when in Britain.

It's possible but let's look at the complaints.

Horse Guards Parade. The Korean journalists were (allegedly) late so were initially denied entry. Seems reasonable to make them wait if the event is almost starting. So, the British didn't know where to put you? Then, don't be late!

Not allowed to leave the finished event before good ol' Mayor Boris does. Yeah, you got case there but it's probably because you did that Korean whiny voice to piss off the Brits that you were kept behind like rude schoolchildren.

Wow! At the airport you were asked to remove all liquids from your bag because some of you may be potential terrorists. Maybe, some of you write for some left-wing newspapers. Even the US doesn't screen you so vigorously? I highly doubt that.

When asked why we had to move yet again, a female police officer replied in a scornful voice, “You should move unless you want to be hit by the car.”
Yeah, heaven forbid that you can just stand around anywhere in an airport. Not being hit by a car sounds like a good enough reason to move out the way.

So what's to blames for all this angst? Overzealous British security people or Koreans thinking they can act how they wish in a foreign country cause its how we do it in Korea.

• Squire
  • Super Waygook

• March 01, 2011, 02:11:36 pm
    • Yeosu
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 09:03:57 pm »
^ Koreans being forced to line up properly by Brits... it brings tears of joy to my eyes  ;D

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 07:36:16 am »
The British police probably deal with more major state visits and large scale public events in a year than most Korean police do in their lives, I assume they know what they are doing. Maybe they would have felt more comfortable if the police just constantly blew their whistle at them.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 07:55:08 am »
Man, I love the last few posts on this thread about the journalist, entitled much, they are.  ;D ;D
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!