Read 1338 times

• jmeyer8480
  • Adventurer

• November 09, 2012, 07:35:09 am
    • sacheon
airfare
« on: October 24, 2013, 09:44:15 pm »
hey....sorry if this has already been posted...I am coming back around mid-nov..problem is, is that I have all of the paperwork but the FBI check(gov. shutdown pushed it back)...so if I arrive and then get the paperwork,  I just have to do a visa run to japan...what I am concerned about though is the flight allowance...will that still be given(1,300,000) when I sign up for a public school position???...hope this makes sense:)...have a good Halloween wkd everyone!!!!!!!!

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
airfare
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 11:18:16 pm »
ohh okay, I think I got ya. correct me if im wrong

So you have already purchased the ticket, the arrival date will not and can not change, coolios?

when you arrive you will not have all of the paperwork, so when you get your FBI check apostilled you are set to apply through EPIK and start looking for schools. coolios?

your question...upon receiving said contract will you get your flight reimbursed after making a bank account?

answer, no.

and to alleviate confusion, you are not given an allowance. you are given a reimbursement of up to $1,300 direct flight (meaning you can't take pleasure cruises to Uganda or Tahiti), so if your ticket is $400, you get $400. you however will get zilch, as you will have to hand in your itinerary, they will see you came in November, not at the school start date, which for you, can be as late as March.

BTW, I know you have been through this once, juuuust wanna make sure you know. You will arrive in November, THEN you will wait til you get your paperwork and turn that in, THEN EPIK will look for a position for you, THEN you have an interview, then you wait to get heard back from, may take a few schools to say yes, THEN IF one says yes, THEN you start when the current teacher leaves, THEN you have to go through immigration to get an ARC which can take up to (I'm hearing) 3 weeks or more, THEN you can make a bank account, THEEEEN the school can pay you.

what I'm getting at here is, if you come in November, you are looking at a looong haul before you get paid son, and this is with a visa run to Japan. Worst case scenario, you start at the beginning of the school year in March, and it won't be til a month after that til you get paid. just being honest, it is a possibility, if however unlikely.   

now you've been here, so chances are you have a bank account, great. BUT oh no, chances are your school doesn't use the bank you are registered under, and in my experience schools only allow their employees one bank (yes not all schools are the same).  So don't count on your previous account to work. and yes you can get a paper that allows you to make a bank account before receiving your ARC, but I have heard tell of this paper not working at certain banks (did for me though).

my recommendation, don't come til you got all your gooses in a egg basket.

Re: airfare
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 08:00:57 am »
I agree that you shouldn't come until you've got all your ducks in a row, but I'll disagree with wintermute's "no"

My EPIK contact doesn't list it as an "airfair reimbursement" but rather as an "entrance allowance." I also got all 1.3 mil won, though my ticket was less.

This will be up to your contract really. Entrance allowance (to me, at least) says that if you're not in the country when you get the job then you get it. But if they do it by getting the visa (which you'll be in Japan for) then you'll get it.

Simple answer - ask. Don't be surprised if the answer is no.
Or don't ask - and don't be surprised if you don't get it.

• Redondo
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2012, 05:28:11 am
    • toronto
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 10:34:50 pm »
I'm pretty sure EPIK doesn't check your ticket. GEPIK and SMOE are different in this regard.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 10:44:53 pm »
no, and why would EPIK? they aren't the ones paying your ticket, its the school you gotta rassle with. It's really up to them in the end.

also, I agree with Wintermute and suggest waiting til you've landed a job to come here.

also gooses.

• jmeyer8480
  • Adventurer

• November 09, 2012, 07:35:09 am
    • sacheon
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 05:54:55 am »
thanks for all the info/advice...I have a few more questions but am heading out the door...the reason I am coming back is b/c home is driving me crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yy and I don't think I could last as long as the paperwork might take...