Read 5241 times

Being told by Gmarket Sellers my ARC # is innacurate
« on: October 24, 2013, 07:43:10 pm »
I've been here about two months and have ordered a couple things off of Gmarket. Some items have shown up with no issue, others have yet to arrive several weeks later. I'm getting phone calls and text messages from people claiming to be Gmarket sellers asking for my ARC #. I was told by a third party that this was relatively common, so no worries. After providing that number, I'm now being told by sellers that my card number is wrong. Some are asking for a photo of the card.

Is this some sort of fishing scam, are they not familiar with the difference between capital letters and lower-case letters (my name appears in all caps on the card), have I been screwed over by a computer glitch at immigration, or is something else going on?

Re: Being told by Gmarket Sellers my ARC # is innacurate
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 07:50:13 am »
Is there any other thing you've used your ARC with to confirm it is accurate. The chances of it being not accurate is possible, but i'd say quite small. Did you use it to register with gmarket or any other site? That's one way to know for sure it's fine.

Are you ordering things coming directly to you from overseas? Usually you can tell by postage (around 9,500 won is usually the case). Also somewhere in the description there is a big message (in Korean) with a number of days range and usually a picture of the globe/map/airplane. In those cases usually a passport or ARC will suffice.

If you haven't received items coming from overseas, then it's highly likely it's because they aren't placing the order until they get your information because of customs.

It's also possible that there is confusion with your ARC. My ARC means I can't register for the smaller shopping malls because they only accept Korean ARC numbers. So maybe something like that is happening with the companies' databases.
It's not an issue with the caps. I'm pretty sure koreans can read both and figure it out. it may be an issue of the way your name is being entered in whatever system by the company, but not sure why they would need to do the Real-name Check thing.

Is it possible for you to register your ARC number on gmarket? Did you do that when you signed up. You may not need to deal with sellers then. Or just give them your passport number. Tell them you don't have an arc and give them that. It'll work the same as your ARC for customs and receiving goods. I'd be more comfortable giving that number out.

Either way, be careful. While your ARC isn't a total secret, with it and often not much more information there are a lot of things people can start to access, or at least get closer to being able to.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 08:24:33 am »
I've ordered stuff off gmarket for years, including stuff sold by global sellers overseas and I've never once been asked for my ARC

Either way, be careful. While your ARC isn't a total secret, with it and often not much more information there are a lot of things people can start to access, or at least get closer to being able to.
Not really. Almost everything requires an additional form of verification these days. You have to have a text message sent to a phone that is registered to the same name, or use a bank certificate, etc.

If there is a problem, ask your coteacher to sort it out, or cancel the order.

• jupinkorea
  • Super Waygook

• June 04, 2012, 05:25:32 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 11:15:14 am »
I've used Gmarket for a few years now and I've never entered my ARC number.
"North Korea everything sunny all the time, always good time, beach party" Johnny Mountain

• misskris
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 02:46:41 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 11:32:16 am »
Hey, I have ordered HEAPS of things off of gmarket and that has NEVER happened. That definitely seems strange.

It was ages ago, so I can't exactly remember, but Im pretty sure I signed up for gmarket with my ARC.  Did you?

Also.... I think that the name in caps DOES make a difference.  Not neccesarilly with gmarket, but if I try to shop or register on another korean site and enter my name as "Miss Kris Lastname"     it won't work until I enter my name as "LASTNAME MISS KRIS"  for example.. .

• shellyryan
  • Adventurer

• June 23, 2010, 08:40:38 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 04:03:55 pm »
When I read that you've been here for only about two months, that reminded me of a problem that I had with taxes. Hana Bank signed me up for an account before I actually went through the immigration process and got my ARC, so they used some strange 13-digit number to register me with. If you can, ask your co-teacher to call your bank for you...I think that they can give you the last 5 to 7 digits.

When I tried to recharge my old prepaid phone by calling, and also when my co-teacher was doing my taxes, they told me that my ARC was inaccurate / incorrect.  I didn't understand why my number was wrong because my ARC was right in front of my face both times, so my co-teacher called the bank for me.

For the 13 digit number, the first 6 digits are just like your ARC:  the year, month, and day that you were born.  The seventh number is a set number that they have in Korea for your gender...a female is #8, but your co-teacher can tell you what the number is for males. I'm not sure if the eighth number means that you're a foreigner or not...mine was number 1...but like I said, I think that the bank can tell you what the last 7 digits are. Numbers 9 through 13 seem random to me, something that the bank assigned.

Anyway, I'm sorry that I can't help you more, but definitely check your registration information with G-Market and have your co-teacher call your bank...they should be able to help you.

A NOTE ABOUT G-MARKET:
When I ordered some furniture from G-Market, that particular furniture company wouldn't deliver until they personally got a hold of me on the phone. Sometimes they call in the morning the day of the delivery, in order to make sure that someone is there (if they have to assemble it on site). I did not know about this, so they sent me an SMS in Korean, telling me to contact them about when they could deliver it. Another company even refused to put it in their delivery truck before they got a hold of me.

Since G-Market is just kind of a messenger, it's hard to say why the companies that you ordered from haven't delivered your stuff yet. If the stuff that you ordered is coming from Korea, then there is no need for your ARC number.  My co-teacher just told me that you only need it if the item is not from Korea. If it is an international item, then check to see if they have the 13-digit number that I talked about above.

• a87
  • Super Waygook

• July 21, 2013, 12:31:10 am
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 04:21:25 pm »
Don't do it, they shouldn't be needing your ARC for any reason. Consider notifying Gmarket about it. Contrary to what someone else said, our ARC numbers are sensitive information. That's why they get starred out when you enter them on a PC or mobile app. It's obviously a scam trying to take advantage of foreigners.
Take that apologists!

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 04:41:55 pm »
Don't do it. Cancel the order and buy from a different seller or move over to 11st.co.kr as they seem to be a bit better (easier to use, IMHO).

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 12:02:55 pm »
Don't do it, they shouldn't be needing your ARC for any reason. Consider notifying Gmarket about it. Contrary to what someone else said, our ARC numbers are sensitive information. That's why they get starred out when you enter them on a PC or mobile app. It's obviously a scam trying to take advantage of foreigners.

Yeah, I really wouldn't take a photo of it or give them the info. They don't need it.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 12:18:15 pm »
I recency ordered hair dye from G Market. 27,000 won. After I ordered it they asked for my passport number. I did not want to provide that information so they did not give me the item. I asked for a refund, Gmarket will not provide a refund and the seller wants 30,000 won to return the item. I guess because it was shipped internationally they "need" my passport number. They called me saying I need to pay, and were very cryptic about me getting any money back.

Any advice, I'm trying to cancel my account and having some trouble.

*edit: spelling and grammar

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 01:03:39 pm »
I recency ordered hair dye from G Market. 27,000 won. After I ordered it they asked for my passport number. I did not want to provide that information so they did not give me the item. I asked for a refund, Gmarket will not provide a refund and the seller wants 30,000 won to return the item. I guess because it was shipped internationally they "need" my passport number. They called me saying I need to pay, and were very cryptic about me getting any money back.

I can't wrap my head around this!

You're saying you paid 27,000 for it.
Then you're saying they didn't give you the item.
Then you go on to say Gmarket won't provide a refund.
THEN you say they need 30,000 because IT WAS shipped internationally.
THEN!!! You say you haven't even paid for it!!!!

WTF?

• Schellib39
  • Expert Waygook

• March 10, 2011, 03:08:04 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 01:15:27 pm »
GMarket is an absolute garbage site to use and I would not recommend anyone to use it. There are not many times an order can be made without some type of problem (English or Korean site)...when trying to speak with customer service (in english or Korean) they are absolutely worthless as well. Overall, GMarket is just a waste of time and a headache.

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2011, 11:02:04 am
    • Korea
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 01:26:36 pm »

WTF?

You were right up until that last point.  She paid for the item, but hasn't paid the EXTRA 30,00 the seller wants to return the product because she asked for a refund.

The buyer already transferred money to the seller for the purchase of the item. The seller said the item was at the airport, but the buyer "needed" to give the seller the passport number.  The buyer didn't want to give the passport number for security reasons, and instead asked for a refund.  Gmarket will not give a refund.  Seller now says they "need" another 30,000 won to return the item back to the seller's country of origin. 

This is why it sounds so fishy.  It makes absolutely no sense on the seller's part.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 01:35:15 pm by btpham13 »

• JWilly
  • Adventurer

• February 24, 2012, 06:40:19 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 02:11:49 pm »
GMarket is an absolute garbage site to use and I would not recommend anyone to use it. There are not many times an order can be made without some type of problem (English or Korean site)...when trying to speak with customer service (in english or Korean) they are absolutely worthless as well. Overall, GMarket is just a waste of time and a headache.

Really??? Maybe just a user error? I've been ordering from them for a year and a half now. NEVER an issue. When I cancelled an order from them one time, I was notified by e-mail of my cancellation and told to contact the credit card company (which I used to make the original payment) for further details of refunding procedures (that is if I had any questions about how the refund worked). I did and all was sorted. Never lost a cent.

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 02:43:43 pm »

WTF?

You were right up until that last point.  She paid for the item, but hasn't paid the EXTRA 30,00 the seller wants to return the product because she asked for a refund.

The buyer already transferred money to the seller for the purchase of the item. The seller said the item was at the airport, but the buyer "needed" to give the seller the passport number.  The buyer didn't want to give the passport number for security reasons, and instead asked for a refund.  Gmarket will not give a refund.  Seller now says they "need" another 30,000 won to return the item back to the seller's country of origin. 

This is why it sounds so fishy.  It makes absolutely no sense on the seller's part.

Makes more sense.

• jackdaniels
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 18, 2009, 02:00:00 pm
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 05:29:14 pm »

After a problem with them today yes, I would have to agree.
All of a sudden out of nowhere they asked for a ID photo sent to them. Sent it never received a reply. Had to contact them via the online chat and they were useless.
I was told the order might be approved in two days.
Normally two days is not a problem but this arose just out of the blue and what I ordered was time sensitive!

Ebay needs to fire the staff and hire competent ones oh and did you know auction.co.kr is also owned by Ebay?  :rolleyes: