Read 1917 times

How long can you stay in Korea after you quit a job?
« on: October 15, 2013, 04:18:59 pm »
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody knows how long you can stay in Korea after you quit a job early. My last day of work is the 24th and I'm planning on staying 4 extra days to show my dad around Seoul as he's coming in to help my pack and move out. However, a friend warned me that that might make me illegal for those four days somehow? She wasn't very clear on how that works either.

If it makes any difference, I'm a Canadian citizen and I've followed procedure for quitting with the proper 30 days' notice and everything like that. I'm just wondering if there's some sort of extra paperwork I need from immigration or something? I'm not planning on returning to Korea before the end date of my original contract/E2 visa, so I'm not worried about that. My concern is just the four days between my last day of work and the day of my flight back to Canada.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
Re: How long can you stay in Korea after you quit a job?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 06:53:14 pm »
Look at your ARC and it should have a date on it.  I think they changed it so you have a few days to chill before you have to get out.  My first year it was the day you were done so that was more a problem. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 07:00:43 pm »
Except because I'm resigning early the date is going to be different from what's on my card. It says the 29th so should I assume that it'll be the 29th of this month as well? Or should I count from the 26th of October (the monthly "anniversary" of signing the contract) to see how many days I'd have? Because I'm resigned as of the 24th so that would be either a day off or the day of my flight back to Canada. Sorry I'm a little worried and confused.  :-[

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 07:36:19 pm »
Except because I'm resigning early the date is going to be different from what's on my card. It says the 29th so should I assume that it'll be the 29th of this month as well? Or should I count from the 26th of October (the monthly "anniversary" of signing the contract) to see how many days I'd have? Because I'm resigned as of the 24th so that would be either a day off or the day of my flight back to Canada. Sorry I'm a little worried and confused.  :-[

Call immigration and they can tell you.
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• adfletch83
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2012, 11:01:40 pm
    • Daegu, ROK
    more
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 08:07:48 pm »
I believe you can change from an E-2 visa to a tourist visa at the immigration office, that gives you more time (maybe 28 days, I think?). I'm sure more people know more about this than I do.
Have a nice Daegu!!

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 08:27:08 pm »
Generally an employer(ex) or employee have to notify immigration within 14 days of last day of work.  Then immigration may and usually gives a total max of 30 days to transfer or leave the country.   That 30 days is from last day of work.   

It is still a good idea to give them a call.   

As you are leaving early do not go by the date on your ARC.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:32:19 pm »
My last day of work is the 24th and I'm only going to be here until the 28th, so I should be okay to go, yeah? This whole thing was easier before my friend warned me hahaha.

I think I'll call immigration in the morning to confirm, but you guys have just eased my mind a lot! I was getting really worried there for a while. Thanks so much!