Read 2914 times

• afroome50
  • Waygookin

• March 09, 2011, 08:54:25 am
    • Bucheon
Should I say something about this English poster?
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:50:56 am »
There is a poster outside every classroom at my school. It displays a picture of the classes teacher and a mission statement from them.

This is the poster outside the English classroom that my co-teacher wrote.

"We'd like to find out how to give Information English more interestingly and easily which is a basic requirement future's competent people and students hoping to be successful worldside."

This is my new co-teacher this year, and I already feel like our relationship is a bit strained.
Should I say something about this poster, which is on display for everyone to see?
Or just leave it....

• Darkeru
  • Expert Waygook

• September 08, 2010, 01:03:17 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Should I say something about this English poster?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 08:54:21 am »
Does it also have the Korean on? If so, maybe leave it since few people will notice the English.

It's probably not important enough to risk straining the relationship over, if she's the type who would take it as criticism. A 'What does this mean?' might be helpful if not.
[In Korea once more - Working in Pyeongtaek]

• misskris
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 02:46:41 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:37:03 am »
hmm... a tough one!
if you bring it up, obviously you can do it with tact and in a 'helpful' way.

I know that my coworkers all want to be corrected when they use improper English or bad grammar.  In fact, they appreciate it, as it helps them learn the language better.
Perhaps you could make it into a learning opportunity.

It may be worse to let her think that that makes sense!

• cmgarlan
  • Waygookin

• July 11, 2010, 07:35:28 pm
    • 대전
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:40:12 am »
If your relationship is indeed strained already, you would be practically committing suicide if you mentioned this.

You're probably the only person in your school who will ever read it.  DON'T mention it to your co-teacher.

• machoman
  • Veteran

• January 15, 2011, 07:50:12 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:45:35 am »
i'd just ignore it. 

it sounds like she used google translate though.  whenever my students get lazy and use that, i can tell right away.

• Vincent
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 12:02:22 pm
    • korea
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 09:49:52 am »
wait until you know her well enough  - you don't want to highlight a lack of ability - it will destroy confidence

from a professional aspect we've had inspectors pick up on misspelling/ bad grammar on blinds in our classroom - not our own creations and we were heavily criticized for it as we were responsible for the classroom envt.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 11:27:12 am »
You don't need to bother unless someone asks. Seriously, when people here see English on a poster, t-shirt, or in an advertisement, they ignore it. It is as if you were actually going to read itune's terms of use. Nobody does. Might as well be in Russian.

When I pointed out mistakes in English at my old school, I mentioned it to my co-teacher, and she said "Yeah, I know that is terrible, but if I tell the principal, I have to find the money in the budget to fix it and take over that "project.""

For me, I have a round thing in the back of the room that proudly displays "Ten Little Indian Boys" song, and I am 1/4 native american (actually more, but it is hard to count the extra that is more than three generations back as they came from everywhere). I really hate it, and so I just covered it up with a talking tv that does nothing. Tada! Useless tech fixing useless English. What a splended world!

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 12:02:26 pm »
"We'd like to find out how to give Information English more interestingly and easily which is a basic requirement future's competent people and students hoping to be successful worldside."

The meaning is clear, there isn't any accidental obscenity, and it would probably cost money/time to replace.  I say let it be. 

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 12:06:24 pm »
Just let it go. They abuse the thesaurus to get a complex sounding sentence, so that it looks better all the time. "Bearing dreams in the joyful" is on my school's banner, if that makes you feel any better.

• foreverJ
  • Featured Contributor

• October 05, 2010, 04:45:22 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 01:12:08 pm »
awesome sign at my school:
Toilet etiquette
Is clean and cleanly uses.
Becoming near to urine scorched.
Only bathroom toilet rack hour uses.
Washing the hand.
In order for the washbowl use at the time of water not to overflow, follows.
The trash which is simple picking up oneself.

I pointed it out to my CoTs and we had a good laugh. The sign is still there

• EPSK
  • Veteran

• September 07, 2010, 07:52:55 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 01:24:11 pm »
My coteachers always appreciate my corrections - especially if it is something so public! I would mention something at some point, but let him/her down easy.Although it is a point of pride, it is best to correct them if this person is the English teacher! You wouldn't want a sign outside of the math room saying "2+2=5!" It just doesn't send the right message. I noticed incorrect English on the posters in my classroom and I pointed it out to my coteach - we had a good laugh. ("It's lighting." - on weather "I feel anger." - instead of angry, etc)