Read 4593 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
Good comments by the writer of the article.

http://www.women24.com/Wellness/BodyAndSpirit/14-Year-old-told-she-needs-plastic-surgery-20131009

I hate those modern life moments when you suddenly feel as if you’re in a dystopian fiction novel.

When I came across this story on The Gloss  I thought I was in an Atwood novel.

Yes folks, according to The Gloss, an Australian girl who was part of a South Korean reality show called K-Pop Star Hunt was told by a surgeon that she needs plastic surgery.

Apparently the crazy doctor told her she looked 30 instead of 14 and that there were issues with her brow, nose and chin.

This all as part of a fun “surprise” organised by the reality show!

Can you do anything worse to a 14 year-old?

I don’t know how these surgeons keep their licenses. A teenager is not yet fully formed at that age – and neither is her brain, so I can’t help thinking how many kids actually undergo surgeries like this.

Stories like these convince me that we really are ruining ourselves – along with our habitat
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
Looks are more important than substance in Korea?  Say it ain't so. 

All joking aside this is pretty terrible to hear and that guy should be fired but it's really not just him.  It's Korean society and it will NEVER change.
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• Harpoinseoul
  • Expert Waygook

• March 23, 2011, 06:49:03 pm
    • Coquitlam, BC
    more
The doctor who said such a thing should be castrated. What a horrible thing to tell a 14 year old girl! You've really got to love this country and it's stupidity.  :rolleyes:
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

Yeah funny but when you see those big posters for plastic surgery clinics up around Gagnam, none of the team of, usually all male, doctors on them look much like Rain or Daniel Henney. I assume they don't think looks are all that important when they've got every adjamma's wet dream job. Different story for women though, they should all go under the knife.

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
I don't get the title of this thread. This story has been in several sites/papers and even days before it appeared in this one.

I'd hardly call it a good article either. it fails to mention that the visit was part of something every contestant on the show participated in, and that she wasn't required to do anything.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
I don't get the title of this thread. This story has been in several sites/papers and even days before it appeared in this one.

I'd hardly call it a good article either. it fails to mention that the visit was part of something every contestant on the show participated in, and that she wasn't required to do anything.

This was the first time I saw it, hence the title.

In your opinion it may not be a good article, but it expresses the feelings of many on this matter.

Korea's famous (notorious) plastic surgery stunts are now making news in places as far away as South Africa.

Personally, I think that doctor is disgusting, irrespective of who he made the comment too and reflects the very nature of a society that is totally obsessed by how something looks rather than having substance.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Pikkle
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2010, 06:12:22 pm
    • Incheon

I don't think the problem is whether or not she was required to DO anything. The problem is that

a) a 14-year-old girl had to see a plastic surgeon for a consultation (as you just said)
and
b) a 14-year-old girl was told she NEEDED plastic surgery.

I personally think it's disgusting to say things like that to a teenage girl. Once she's a fully mature adult, I'm all for allowing her to do whatever she wants with her body, no judgement. But that's just it -- it's her body and NOBODY has a right to tell ANYBODY ELSE whether or not they NEED plastic surgery.

• Archeon
  • Expert Waygook

• August 21, 2012, 02:36:28 pm
    • Ulsan
she wasn't required to do anything.

I think the outrage stems from something like this...

Put any female middle school child in a room full of model-like women who everyone adores and tell her if she wants to be like them, she has to go under the knife. 

Then tell her its her choice if she wants to be beautiful or not.

So the question to a young girl who is swept up in this society of popularity and glamour is really, "Do you want to be beautiful?  It's your choice."  Of course she isn't "required" to do anything.  It is her choice to remain ugly, unattractive, unpopular and a hideous blight on the earth, or become a star.

Some choice. 

Most kids would readily go through with an operation precisely because they can't fathom what the consequences might be, or they fathom the problems but can't live with the possibility of being ostracized by their peers. 
I will tolerate your existence only so far as it doesn't infringe on science.

ridiculous. 14?! her body hasn't finished forming yet! that is ridiculous. it is sad how children are told that they need work done. she's a child!! idiot doctor.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 08:13:00 am by DutchDoll1988 »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul

I don't think the problem is whether or not she was required to DO anything. The problem is that

a) a 14-year-old girl had to see a plastic surgeon for a consultation (as you just said)
and
b) a 14-year-old girl was told she NEEDED plastic surgery.

I personally think it's disgusting to say things like that to a teenage girl. Once she's a fully mature adult, I'm all for allowing her to do whatever she wants with her body, no judgement. But that's just it -- it's her body and NOBODY has a right to tell ANYBODY ELSE whether or not they NEED plastic surgery.
Are 14-year-olds even legally qualified to agree to electiver surgery?  Surely, there's a lot of blame to spread around here, and the surgeon nearly least--after all, his motives are clear.  The TV show producers get quite a lot of the blame, but the girl's parents get the lion's share. 

• Laurabrown19
  • Waygookin

• July 12, 2012, 06:32:01 pm
    • Cheongju, South Korea

The quality of the journalism aside, why does it make it any less disgusting that all of the contestants had a meeting with a plastic surgeon? That just shows how widely accepted this disgusting attitude towards appearance is. But on the upside, I think there are a lot of Korean who disagree with this type of thing as well. I recently asked some questions about plastic surgery at my adult class, and had a really emotional and negative response from the female teachers in particular. None of whom had caved to the pressure to have any work done.

Korean plastic surgery on international news?  How ironic that they lose face for their efforts not to lose face!

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2011, 11:02:04 am
    • Korea
Korean plastic surgery on international news?  How ironic that they lose face for their efforts not to lose face!

Yo dawg, I heard you like to talk about losing face.

Yo dawg, I heard you like to talk about losing face.

Yo, homey-G.  Iz dat Gucci Mane or something?

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
I do take great pleasure when the Korean entertainment industry loses face. Am I a bad person for thinking such thoughts?
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

It's just the next logical step from Toddlers in Tiara's.