Read 5782 times

• reginap
  • Newgookin

• October 02, 2013, 02:57:40 am
    • michigan
Is TESL certificate required?
« on: October 02, 2013, 03:17:03 am »
Hi guys,

My boyfriend and I are interested in teaching somewhere together in South Korea.  We've started some preliminary research into how we might get started, however, we have so far found a great deal of contradictory information.  One of the main questions we are looking to have answered is whether it is required or not to have a TESL certificate in order to teach in South Korea.  It seems that in some countries it varies with the employer, but does anyone know if this is the case here? 

We have, ideally, a start date in mind around January 2014, but we also realize that we don't yet know what the prime seasons for hiring are.  Is there anyone that could give some basic advice on how they got started, and what their first steps included? 

-Regina

• Jaunter
  • Super Waygook

• April 02, 2012, 11:57:17 am
    • Goyang, Korea
    more
Re: Is TESL certificate required?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 06:40:53 am »
TEFL is a requirement if you want to work in public schools aka the EPIK/GEPIK jobs. I'm not sure about hogwan (academy) jobs but I believe they also prefer you have a TEFL certificate. I did the 120 ITTT course, it took three weeks because I went slow and the test is open book. http://www.teflonline.net/

Good luck!
_ゝ`) ...

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 07:41:36 am »
If you're looking for a public school position, then the prime hiring seasons are typically March (in which case you would arrive in Korea for orientation training in February) and September (in which case you would arrive in Korea for orientation training in August). For a hagwon (private institute) position, they hire all year long.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 07:44:59 am by Mezoti97 »

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 07:48:30 am »
Be sure that that the TESL/TEFL program you register for has 20 hours of offline teaching. Public schools in Korea are no long accepting the 120 hours all online certificate. 100 hours online, 20 hours of in class teaching. Good luck.

• gyulhyeon
  • Waygookin

• September 15, 2010, 05:57:55 pm
    • Incheon, Korea
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 08:39:15 am »
If you look under Salary and Benefits on the EPIK website, it says that they are NOT currently hiring level 3 applicants, which means you most likely would need a TEFL/TESOL certificate unless you have a Masters, JD, full time experience, etc.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 09:36:14 am »
Anyone know where you can actually take a class TESOL in Korea?  It seems to me that it's only offered on weekday mornings when people actually work. 

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 10:06:37 am »
Anyone know where you can actually take a class TESOL in Korea?  It seems to me that it's only offered on weekday mornings when people actually work.

Do some research for offerings in your province. When I was living in Busan I found an in-person course offered at a university in the city by doing a simple Google search. It was 6 hours Saturday and Sunday each for 2 months. The year I took it was the last year they offered it. It was a joint program with Kyungsung Uni. and CSU San Bernardino.

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 11:48:03 am »
If you look under Salary and Benefits on the EPIK website, it says that they are NOT currently hiring level 3 applicants, which means you most likely would need a TEFL/TESOL certificate unless you have a Masters, JD, full time experience, etc.

I stand corrected! My bad. This Thread might help concerning the New EPIK hiring process http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=33769.0
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 12:03:41 pm by minamteacher »

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 01:00:37 pm »
It wouldn't hurt you to have it.

The Korean foreign teachers market has been saturated for some time now. Every little helps.

• hanrei
  • Waygookin

• September 12, 2013, 01:52:01 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 02:01:27 pm »
I don't have a TEFL and I teach in a hogwan (although my employer was disappointed when I told them I didn't have one). For public schools you will need one, so it's entirely dependent on your preference.

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 02:11:05 pm »
I am a licensed certified teacher and I have yet to get my TEFL certification, and I am teaching in the public school system here in South Korea. I will definately do an online TEFL certification through the University of Toronto after my extended contract takes effect. All I need is the money.

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 04:06:43 pm »
It's not a requirement for EPIK, but it definitely adds some competitiveness to your application vs. someone with just a bachelor's degree  ;D

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 05:29:34 pm »
I believe EPIK is now making it a requirement in some (most?) provinces. I did a 120 hour online course because I thought it would bump me up the pay scale, but it didn't. My interviewer said having teaching experience or a master's would do it.

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 07:47:55 pm »
Be sure that that the TESL/TEFL program you register for has 20 hours of offline teaching. Public schools in Korea are no long accepting the 120 hours all online certificate. 100 hours online, 20 hours of in class teaching.

Has this changed?  Do you have a link to the change?  I cant find it, and I'm with Gepik.
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 07:51:40 am »
Depends on where you want to travel to.
There are quite a few universities in Seoul that offer classes that aren't held during weekend mornings.
3 I can think of off hand are HUFS (waydae), Hanyang and Sookmyung.

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 10:19:56 am »
Depends on where you want to travel to.
There are quite a few universities in Seoul that offer classes that aren't held during weekend mornings.
3 I can think of off hand are HUFS (waydae), Hanyang and Sookmyung.

Seoul is too far to travel to every weekend.  I'd like some other major cities further south or even mid way.  Anyone know of Daejeon, for example?

• moog
  • Veteran

• November 08, 2012, 01:54:12 pm
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 02:13:55 pm »
I am a licensed certified teacher and I have yet to get my TEFL certification, and I am teaching in the public school system here in South Korea. I will definately do an online TEFL certification through the University of Toronto after my extended contract takes effect. All I need is the money.

Why would you want to get a TEFL certification if you are a licensed, certified teacher? You are already more qualified than 90% of the English "teachers" in the country with your certs. Wouldn't it be more prudent of you to seek out a professional ESOL endorsement or something similar to add to your certs vs. getting a TEFL Cert. online?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:12:42 pm by moog »