Read 1685 times

Omitting a previous job from my resume.
« on: October 07, 2013, 05:56:46 pm »
Hello all,

I am thinking about returning to Korea in the new year, but I have a question regarding a potential issue.

I worked a full successful year in Korea from 2010 until 2011 and completed my contract with no problems and have good references.

However, the next job I had treated me so badly I quit after a few months on bad terms. I worked the agreed 30 days notice as agreed in the contract, and paid back the airfare that they paid me for my visa run. So I ended the contract legally and there are no monies owing.

In my new applications, I want to omit the 2nd job from my resume for obvious reasons. Would a new school be notified by immigration that I had this job? Could this potentially cause a problem for me?

Any advice would be great! Thanks

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
Re: Omitting a previous job from my resume.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 07:18:21 pm »
No. Privacy laws apply in Korea. If you are applying like these, it is ok:

Hagwon - > Hagwon
Hagwon -> Public School
Public School -> Hagwon

But, if you are doing:
Public School -> Public School

They might have a file on you, especially if it is the same program. However, if you go from one to another, they probably won't know.

It is not Immigrations job to give out your private information for jobs. When you think about it, that is ridiculous. But don't worry, I had similar concerns before as well.

Trust me, Korean Immigration does not freely give away your information, even to public schools. That isn't their job.

Think about it like applying for a job back home. If something happened and you don't want to have it represented on your application, don't claim it. It is that simple.

Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 08:06:56 pm »
Thanks for clearing this up for me. The bad job I had was with a public school, but I don't plan on reapplying to that MOE.

Cheers for putting my mind at ease!

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 09:35:58 pm »
Well, good luck! If I were you, I would apply to a totally different program.

If you were in EPIK, I would suggest applying to GEPIK, JLP, or Gimhae Public Schools. They are less likely to find out, I guess.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 09:38:49 pm »
Oh yeah, sorry for the double reply, but from what I remember:

1. Public schools only want your experience in years, so if you worked 11 months, it wouldn't count.

BUT

2. They ask on the form to put down all relevant work experience.

3. They ask if you ever left early. You can try to ignore it, but if they find out, they might not hire you. You can defend yourself if you decide to put it on there, if you resigned ok.

I would particularly suggest applying to GEPIK jobs, as there is generally no central hiring authority.

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 12:49:48 pm »
I think you'll be okay if it's hagwon.

omit, omit away!

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:58:33 pm »
that depends on you.

1) if you want to claim a higher pay-grade, based on experience. and you put 1 year of teaching on your resume, BUT you want to claim 2years worth of experience, you need to list the 2 years worth.

2) if you dont want to claim anything, then dont put it in. i.e. if you dont want to claim a school, then dont. just come here as a fresh teacher.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.