Read 2110 times

• funkybunch2006
  • Explorer

• September 04, 2012, 02:56:13 pm
    • Hampyeong-eup, Jeollanam-do, South Korea
Part time job offer - What is a reasonable salary?
« on: August 31, 2013, 01:04:56 am »
I was brought in to interview for a part time job believing that it was to be for a short period. I was informed that while the job is part time, it is still a one-year contract, so I respectfully declined and said my goodbyes, but they called me before I could even reach the subway to offer me a shorter contract to fit my plans.

They have asked what salary I am seeking. I am new to part time work in Korea, so I need as many opinions as I can get. The details of the job and myself are as follows:

Job:
Located in Seoul
No housing or benefits
4 classes a day, 5 days a week, 40 mins per class
some extracurricular work, including 20-30 student progress reports per week
elementary age students

Myself:
Two years of full-time teaching in Korea
120-hour TEFL certificate
Bachelor degree in English

My initial thought is to request 1.5 million per month. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:07:35 am by funkybunch2006 »

• Adobe
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2010, 11:58:50 am
    • G
Re: Part time job offer - What is a reasonable salary?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 08:04:35 am »
I think you'd be selling yourself short, very very short IMHO.
They save on pension, medical and housing, while essentially having you work like a NET at an average public school gig/or an easy hakwon gig.

Ask for at least another 400,000 a month.

Put it this way. My main part time gig, has me on site for 3/4 classes a day(40min each) but only 4 days a week. Yet they pay just over 2million and they include a little to cover transport.

Re: Part time job offer - What is a reasonable salary?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 10:21:32 am »
How is that part time? That's essentially a full time teaching schedule. No pension, no housing, no insurance? I'd ask for at least 2.3m.