Read 2351 times

Was your recruiter busted for illegal recruiting?
« on: August 30, 2013, 08:58:07 am »
Does anyone know which recuiters were caught in this sting? Sounds like some bigger ones must have been involved.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2976888&cloc=joongangdaily|home|newslist1

Unlicensed agents, teachers arrested
Police say 33 recruited locally to teach English were not qualifiedAug 30,2013 Forty-two people have been arrested for illegally recruiting native English-speaking instructors at primary and secondary schools around the country, police said yesterday. Those arrested included 33 teachers who the authorities said were not qualified to teach here and had been recruited by online agencies for jobs outside the formal educational system.

The Gyeonggi Provincial Police Agency said that those arrested included six heads of unregistered recruitment agencies. Since 2011, police said, the six had recruited more than 1,400 English instructors in countries including the United States, Canada, South Africa and the United Kingdom.

The recruiters connected the prospective teachers with the National Institute for International Education, which is under the Ministry of Education, and city and provincial education offices for placement at schools. A typical recruitment fee for those services ranged from 800,000 won ($720) to 1 million won. In total, police said, the unregistered recruiters earned from 240 million to 350 million from their efforts.

They added that the recruited teachers were qualified to teach here and had not been charged.

But Gyeonggi police also said that the three Internet recruiters were indicted for recruiting foreigners already living in Korea who did not have the educational background to teach legally and placed them in jobs with private education institutes (hagwon), kindergartens and in-home tutors. These recruiters put profiles and video clips of their prospective instructors on their Web sites and introduced them to clients for a fee.

Those recruiters, the police said, collected 70 million won in total from their efforts, which began in January and were shut down in July. The instructors were often placed in part-time teaching jobs that paid about 60,000 won per hour, with the recruiters collecting a third of their paychecks.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
Re: Was your recruiter busted for illegal recruiting?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 01:59:20 pm »
I don't know any recruiter caught in this.  Why not, because I have more than one recruiter.  Also, once I am placed in a job, I stop communicating with them or care about them.  The same for the recruiters, they wash their hands of me when the place me.

I am surprised that this happened because uncertified recruiters are very common.  A question, were any foreigner recruiters caught in this sting?  I know a few foreigners who operate as a recruiter on the side.

EDITED: Cause today I suck at English.

P.S.  Please be kind and delete my mistake from history in your quoted replies. Pretty please
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 05:23:59 pm by skippy »
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• ukukuk
  • Super Waygook

• June 26, 2013, 12:09:23 pm
    • nippon
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 02:11:40 pm »
I do know, because one I have more then one recruiter and once I am placed I don't care about them and they don't care about me.

I am surprised this happen, because uncertified recruiters where very common.  My question is was any waygook caught in this sting.

I'm nominating this for worst spelling/grammar of the year. Can't make head nor tail of it lol!!!!! How did you manage to craft this little doozy????!!! Haha

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2011, 11:02:04 am
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 02:30:34 pm »
I do know, because one I have more then one recruiter and once I am placed I don't care about them and they don't care about me.

I am surprised this happen, because uncertified recruiters where very common.  My question is was any waygook caught in this sting.

I'm nominating this for worst spelling/grammar of the year. Can't make head nor tail of it lol!!!!! How did you manage to craft this little doozy????!!! Haha

Haha. My head hurt after reading that post. 

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 02:30:38 pm »
always nice to read good news. good of korea to catch some of the illegal recruiters and workers here.

they said it was difficult to catch those working illegally. Seems like paying a little extra attention to those who go in and out of Japan would do the trick.

My question is was any waygook caught in this sting.

Those arrested included 33 teachers who the authorities said were not qualified to teach here

The 33 English instructors who were hired through those online agencies, none of which had English-teaching qualifications, were the ones booked and released by police.

The police said those teachers who were working without proper credentials faced deportation.

• jbrookin
  • Adventurer

• March 14, 2011, 01:47:25 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 02:36:01 pm »
The few people in this area were called into immigration and weren't in huge trouble if they told the name of their recruiter.  Of course they had fines but no one was deported.

They were also told that there will be a huge crackdown now because of the new president. 

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 05:15:49 pm »
 :-[

Whoops,  I broke the unwritten rule of English Teacher forums.  Spelling and grammar count.    I am starting to get worried that my English is getting worse.  I have been in Korea too long.   

Sometimes, when I am in a rush my writing just spills out and what I think does not always type out correctly.

Thank You for the nomination.

I was being a little snarky as who has a recruiter.    Everyone should have and if possible use all of them.   I have never been friends with my recruiters and they with me.  Civil and friendly is nice, but recruiters are a means to an end.  I just want the recruiter to do their job in showing me some jobs.

As to the news report on this,  I like the blogger Gusts of Popular Feeling opinion on this.    The recruiter were caught on more of legal technicalities, but the recruiters did put people into jobs.  Yes some of the jobs where illegal either for part time jobs or unqualified people.   This is like cracking down on food stall owners.   The government wants its due in taxes.   Plus registered recruiters want to protect their market.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:29:14 pm by skippy »
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 07:53:59 pm »
Yeah, it's getting bad for illegal recruiters and teachers (again).  There seemed to be a lull for quite a while where we didn't hear anything about people being busted.  Now there are busts left and right.  Some of them are being driven by foreigners who are turning in illegal recruiters, also.  Read something about that, but can't remember where. If I find the post, I'll link it.