Read 2044 times

• rstoker
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2012, 06:42:38 am
This year I have been working in 3 small schools, two of which are in the countryside.  Korean teachers get extra "points" for working in these schools because of their size and location. 

I like my main school that I go to 3 days a week, but it isn't big enough for a full time English teacher.   All of the teachers, my coteacher, principal, etc at the school really like me and I have very good marks on all open class evaluations.  But, I would prefer to work at only one school, so I gave my notice here and applied to another school in town, since I was told that transferring isn't possible. 

I waited a bit and was finally told that I didn't get the job in the other school.  I tried calling the education office to ask why, but he said he isn't allowed to tell me.  I pressed a little more and he implied that I must be a bad teacher since I am leaving my current school.  I asked why he would think that and he was under the impression that the only reason I would leave is if the school didn't want me.  That couldn't be further from the truth.  They practically begged me to stay.  He then asked me why I thought I was a good teacher.  I listed me degrees and experience, but he said that those aren't important to be a good teacher.  He said the the only thing that is important is a written letter from the principal saying that I am a good teacher.  So, I got that and applied for another school.

I waited another month to hear back from the next school and finally asked the recruiter about it today.  She said that she talked to the man in the education office who told her that he had already told me that I can't work here anymore.  I really don't know what I did to piss this guy off. I wasn't rude or disrespectful on the phone.  I only called him once, but I did have my coteacher call and ask as well, in case there was some miscommunication.  When my coteacher got off the phone with him he said "He is a very bad man".  Which was also my impression.  He was very rude and condescending.  I remember seeing him once in person during orientation where he gave a very short speech and asked if anyone had a question.  Everyone who asked a question received a very rude reply and he even told some people their questions were stupid.

So, my question is, how do I file a complaint against this guy?  I've given up on finding a job in this area, but I don't want him to get away with how he treats the native teachers here.

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
Re: How can I file a complaint against someone in the education office?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 07:43:14 am »
Does that person work for SMOE because that sounds exactly like somebody I know. Nobody really seems to like him.

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 07:46:45 am »
Good luck. If you find out how, it will most likely be lost down the rabbit hole of Korean office politics. But it's worth a shot.

I've dealt with people like that. I called them once around 4:30pm and no one answered, so I tried again a few minutes later, and then again a few minutes after that. It wasn't an important issue, but I just wanted to ask a few questions. Finally someone answered, speaking Korean. In my broken Korean I asked if so-and-so was there. The person kept speaking Korean, and in the background I could hear women cracking up every time they spoke. Finally, in a cutesy voice they said "Okay, bye bye!" and hung up.

So I sent a message on Kakao to two of the coordinators listed in the attachment in their official email, asking them to confirm the number. Both messages were read, but no one ever replied.

Finally I asked my CT to call from a school phone and find out what's going on. Someone answered, said yes, that was the coordinators' office, yes, those numbers are correct, what's your problem? My CT said that I had tried to call with a question, but they countered that no foreigners had called all afternoon, I probably had the wrong number.

Basically, there are some really snobby, lazy "I studied for six weeks in Minnesota, I'm too good for this job" people working as coordinators. Most are great and are motivated and helpful, but some are just awful.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:49:40 am by oatmealkooky »

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 07:54:32 am »
When I had my interview, it was 6am in the morning in the UK as it just had to be held at 5pm korean time or whatever. If it was earlier, I may have been more aware and more cognitive.

i have the WORST telephone interview, and the guy basically tells me that I sound lazy and rude (I still had my early morning voice) and that if it was up to him I wouldn't have gotten a job. What saved me was a letter of reccomendation from my old principal in Korea, saying the sun shines out my ass.

The principals of other schools will read and if it's good enough, will over-ride the ass holes in the offices (though I would love to do their job, only bitter and sour gyopos can get them)

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 08:18:35 am »
The principals of other schools will read and if it's good enough, will over-ride the ass holes in the offices (though I would love to do their job, only bitter and sour gyopos can get them)

Not necessarily. While I suppose many of the coordinators at several MOEs/POEs are gyopos, the most recent MOE/POE that I worked for employed a non-gyopo foreigner as the coordinator -- and the previous coordinator before the current one was also a non-gyopo foreigner. 

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 27, 2011, 10:26:20 am
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 08:23:22 am »
Sorry to hear that OP. I see defamation/slander laws brought up a lot. Maybe you can somehow use those against him?

It is sad that being a good teacher comes down to a note from the P. :-(

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 08:27:54 am »
To really have a legitimate complaint against him, not saying you don't already but to have it worth your time for a compliant, you will need to be a little deceptive (not illegal). Basically have a Korean friend/co-worker call and ask for a reference for you, record the conversation. If he says things which are damaging you can try to file a compliant at the Labor Board. More than likely no one in that Education Office will want to get involved with a compliant from you, but I could be wrong.

Good luck and don't let this get you down. It happens often. A good teacher is someone who doesn't question absurdity, drinks soju well and plays volleyball.

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 08:42:39 am »
There are some terrible coordinators and others involved with hiring in many of the education programs. Some carry prejudices towards certain countries, genders, ages, and even races. Recruiters know who they are and try to steer certain applicants to certain programs and schools. It's one of the unspoken negatives of the application process.