Read 1802 times

• Lc6011
  • Newgookin

• August 27, 2013, 01:26:45 pm
    • Seoul
Housing contract- advice needed please!!
« on: August 27, 2013, 01:39:28 pm »
I started my job contract in July, but needed a new apartment from June, the month before. Another employee was leaving his contract early: he signed until September but was leaving in May. They gave me the option of moving into his apartment for those four months and finishing his contract, so that the key money would already be paid and I'd have time to decide if I wanted to stay there or move to a different apartment.

I did that as I didn't have any key money and so didnt have much choice. Now I have decided it is much too expensive for me to live here, and I really don't like the area. I went back to my employer to let them know I'd be moving out at the end of September, but they told me that they signed another lease with the landlord on my behalf, tying me to the place for the entire year. If I want to break the contract I have to find a new tenant myself and also pay nearly 1 million won in fees to the realtor.

I never agreed to the lease nor was I made aware of it. Is there anything I can do?

• philby1985
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 09:10:49 am
    • Daejeon
Re: Housing contract- advice needed please!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 02:24:05 pm »
1 million in real estate agent fees seems excessive.

I recently had to break a contract early. I had to pay 150,000 won to the estate agent to re-list the property and I had to continue paying rent there until someone was found.

I smell bullshit.

• Lc6011
  • Newgookin

• Seoul
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 04:54:16 pm »
Ok thanks, I thought it seemed a bit much. That was the lower fee-with me finding a new tenant myself! If I left it to them I'd have to pay 1.5 million as well as monthly rent until they found someone. I wil speak to them again tomorrow.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 04:58:01 pm »
I had to break a housing contract.  The fee was 480,000 (240 for breaking, 240 for a new tenant).  That's way too high.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Lc6011
  • Newgookin

• Seoul
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:26:32 pm »
I had to break a housing contract.  The fee was 480,000 (240 for breaking, 240 for a new tenant).  That's way too high.

So they found the new tenant for you?

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 10:31:42 pm »
Yes. I had to pay rent until they found one, of course.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Freesia
  • Veteran

• July 31, 2013, 11:29:19 am
    • Yeonnam-dong, Mapo-gu / Giheung-gu, Yongin
    more
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 03:32:39 am »
How much is the rent?
Looking at the example down below will make it easy for you to understand.

* Realtor fee for apartment rent = trading price x commission rate

* Trading price = key money + (monthly rent x 100)

* Commission rate = When the trading price is
100 million - 300 million: 0.3 %
50 million won - less than 100 million: 0.4 %
Less than 50 million won: 0.5 %

For example,
The realtor fee for a [50 million won key money + 1 million won monthly rent] apartment is
150 million won x 0.3 % = 450,000 won.

Check if your realtor fee was fair.
If the realtor fee was 1 million won, the rent must be, like you inferred, very expensive.

Also, I do not understand how the employer could sign the lease on behalf of you without your written authority and certificate of seal impression.

Would you not be able to find a gosiwon-type place, for which you do not need key money, in a preferred area?
“Without claiming to be exhaustive, I maintain that every philosophy reproduces within itself, in one way or another, the conflict in which it finds itself compromised and caught up in the outside world.”

― Louis Althusser, Philosophy of the Encounter: Later Writings, 1978-1987

• Freesia
  • Veteran

• July 31, 2013, 11:29:19 am
    • Yeonnam-dong, Mapo-gu / Giheung-gu, Yongin
    more
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 03:40:48 am »
Ok thanks, I thought it seemed a bit much. That was the lower fee-with me finding a new tenant myself! If I left it to them I'd have to pay 1.5 million as well as monthly rent until they found someone. I wil speak to them again tomorrow.

The landlord requiring you to find a new tenant while you did not even sign the contract yourself is obscene. Why does your employer not help you in this situation, and why did he/she sign the contract for an expensive apartment, knowing how much you earn in a month?
This makes me so angry.
“Without claiming to be exhaustive, I maintain that every philosophy reproduces within itself, in one way or another, the conflict in which it finds itself compromised and caught up in the outside world.”

― Louis Althusser, Philosophy of the Encounter: Later Writings, 1978-1987