Read 3734 times

• fourthchild
  • Veteran

• March 07, 2012, 01:23:38 pm
    • Hwacheon, Gangwondo, South Korea
Somewhere to get away from it all in Korea
« on: August 27, 2013, 10:28:59 am »
I’ve done quite a bit of traveling and socializing this year so at Chuseok I’d quite like to  just go and chill out in a peaceful, quite place and get away from all the crowds and noise of this part of the world.  My preference would be somewhere in the mountains or near a beach where I can just enjoy nature.  Can anybody recommend a good place in Korea?  Thanks.

• a87
  • Super Waygook

• July 21, 2013, 12:31:10 am
Re: Somewhere to get away from it all in Korea
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:42:10 am »
Maybe Jeju? I got tired of the crowds and noise so I just left Seoul altogether, simple fix lol. I'm guessing you're in Seoul.any smaller town will probably be a breath of fresh air for you.
Take that apologists!

• amgoalng
  • Expert Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 08:00:20 am
    • Gobuk, near Seosan, closer to Haemi
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 11:15:05 am »
Have you ever looked into doing a temple stay?  I am not a Buddhist, but it seems like it is what you are looking for.  I have been to this temple and it is really nice.  The bus is in Gyeongju national park, you get off of some road, a sign will be there, just keep looking up front.  It is about as far away as you can get from the city.  I can send you a picture of my trip there if you want.  There is a "relaxation" temple stay.

I did not do a stay there, even though I regret not doing it.  Also, if you can, buy your tickets and reserve your hostel/hotel/stay now.

http://eng.templestay.com/Reservation/temple_view.asp?cid=23&idx=32

• lee233
  • Super Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 09:53:46 am
    • Korea
    more
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:21:32 am »
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/26/travel/bijindo-korea-travel/index.html?hpt=ias_t2

Check out this article. I'm thinking about going down to check out this area, it looks pretty relaxing.

P.S. If anyone has actually traveled here I wouldn't mind hearing some suggestions on where to go and things to do.
If wishes were horses beggars would ride

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 01:31:44 pm »
Good luck getting anywhere if you haven't already bought your tickets!

Like everyone else, I too, am trying to get away with friends. In fact, Geoje is the place (since all flights AND ferries to Jeju are booked out). However, if you want to get there you either need to have a train ticket to Busan or take the bus.

Chuseok train tickets were only available online this morning from 6-9am through the Korean website and you needed to be a member. Some routes were on sale today and others will only be on sale friday, same time. You can also buy tickets, in person, at the ticket office from 7-9am tomorrow (but expect long lines). I tried to buy them online this morning and the system continually failed because of too many users on at one time  :cry:

The other option is the bus, but don't attempt it during the peak days (wednesday and sunday) unless you want a 4-5 hour trip to turn into 9.  :undecided:

The good thing is that if you travel on thursday instead of wednesday, there might actually be better availability for trains and buses. It's the main holiday out of the 3 days, so only local roads might be a little more crowded (seoul and gyeonggi).

Best of luck to all traveling! Wish some for me too, please  :cheesy:

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:46:16 pm »
peasgoodnonsuch (or anyone else who knows) - where can you show up to try to buy KTX tickets tomorrow morning? Is it Seoul Station?  I think I'll try to send my boyfriend who is visiting me at the moment, as I doubt I could get tickets and get back to work by 8:30. At this point, I am doubting I'll be able to get tickets, period.  :sad: Thanks for the info.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 01:43:15 am »
Visit mountains in Gangwon-do! Or just the countryside in general. There are pensions or resorts that are really removed from the city but still close to Wonju for sure, as I stayed in one for a night.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 08:29:27 am »
Sorry for my late reply! I know Seoul Station was selling them, but I think any major train station office with ticket sales was.

I don't know what route you were trying for, but if you missed it today, you may still have a chance to buy them online tomorrow morning. Check out the Korail Korean website (ask for help if you don't know Korean): www.korail.com

Also, if you can't do the train, I recommend using the bus and delaying your trip until thursday morning. You can reserve bus tickets online as well: www.busterminal.or.kr
There should be plenty of thursday bus tickets to anywhere; the only problem will be getting a return ticket on saturday or sunday....

Personally, my friends and I have just decided to make a holiday of it locally. Fancy spa, local trips out to Gyeonggi-do, etc.

Just do what you can and enjoy it!

• Freesia
  • Veteran

• July 31, 2013, 11:29:19 am
    • Yeonnam-dong, Mapo-gu / Giheung-gu, Yongin
    more
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 07:10:39 pm »
Have you ever looked into doing a temple stay?  I am not a Buddhist, but it seems like it is what you are looking for.  I have been to this temple and it is really nice.  The bus is in Gyeongju national park, you get off of some road, a sign will be there, just keep looking up front.  It is about as far away as you can get from the city.  I can send you a picture of my trip there if you want.  There is a "relaxation" temple stay.

I did not do a stay there, even though I regret not doing it.  Also, if you can, buy your tickets and reserve your hostel/hotel/stay now.

http://eng.templestay.com/Reservation/temple_view.asp?cid=23&idx=32

I agree with amgoalng.

Or, you could just visit a quiet temple and ask if you can stay there.
With either option, you might want to check wether the particular temple is crowded during Chuseok with devotees having rituals at the temple, etc.
“Without claiming to be exhaustive, I maintain that every philosophy reproduces within itself, in one way or another, the conflict in which it finds itself compromised and caught up in the outside world.”

― Louis Althusser, Philosophy of the Encounter: Later Writings, 1978-1987

• weRborg
  • Super Waygook

• September 20, 2012, 05:15:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 07:02:08 am »
Maybe Jeju? I got tired of the crowds and noise so I just left Seoul altogether, simple fix lol. I'm guessing you're in Seoul.any smaller town will probably be a breath of fresh air for you.

Jeju is more crowded than Seoul this time of year. Just not with Koreans. Chinese. Tons of Chinese wherever you go. I'm not exaggerating. It's like they're trying to colonize the island. Everywhere we went, even out of the way places, there already a thousand Chinese or more there. I'm not saying is a bad thing. They have the right to a vacation too. It's just not as quiet and calm as you'd hope it would be.
$10 off orders of $40 or more
or $5 off order under $40: www.iherb.com coupon code: ADO919

For all your health/bath&beauty/supplement needs! Lowest prices, low shipping, and quality reviews.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 09:03:05 am »
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/26/travel/bijindo-korea-travel/index.html?hpt=ias_t2

Check out this article. I'm thinking about going down to check out this area, it looks pretty relaxing.

P.S. If anyone has actually traveled here I wouldn't mind hearing some suggestions on where to go and things to do.

I was in Bijindo a few weeks ago and the water was really dirty. The Koreans I was with said it was due to "Red Tide" - large amounts of dead fish creating an oily and frothy substance that floats on the water. It may have cleared up - that was about a month ago.

• amgoalng
  • Expert Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 08:00:20 am
    • Gobuk, near Seosan, closer to Haemi
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 10:37:37 am »

Jeju is more crowded than Seoul this time of year. Just not with Koreans. Chinese. Tons of Chinese wherever you go. I'm not exaggerating. It's like they're trying to colonize the island. Everywhere we went, even out of the way places, there already a thousand Chinese or more there. I'm not saying is a bad thing. They have the right to a vacation too. It's just not as quiet and calm as you'd hope it would be.

I talked to a Chinese girl and the reason Jeju has so many Chinese is because they don't need a visa to visit Jeju.  The longest a Chinese person can stay in mainland Korea without a visa is 72 hours.  Everywhere else, every other county, they need a visa.  That is why it is swamped with them.  This is what she told me.