Read 1339 times

• jbrookin
  • Adventurer

• March 14, 2011, 01:47:25 pm
    • south korea
What is the etiquette in Korea regarding wedding invitations?
« on: August 26, 2013, 12:22:10 pm »
My fiancee and I are having a private wedding ceremony and then a celebration dinner with our friends a month later.  Since it's not an actual wedding ceremony I was wondering who I would have to invite from my (public) school, if anyone.  I'd rather not invite anyone because I feel like I am just asking for money--but I also don't want to offend someone because they didn't get an invite. 

Any insight? Thanks for your help!

• BTeacher
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2012, 07:21:01 am
Re: What is the etiquette in Korea regarding wedding invitations?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 02:01:39 pm »
One of my former co-workers had this same predicament, and her solution was to schedule her wedding during regular work hours. She *did* give everyone an invitation, but nobody could go, because they had to work.

However, if the only reason keeping you from inviting those from your public school to your wedding is you "feel like I am just asking for money" then you've got nothing to worry about, as that is exactly how it works in Korea. Ask any Korean that you trust, weddings are, in large, straight up about the money. There's no shame it it. That's the way it is. Of course, everyone you invite could then in turn invite you to their wedding in future, and would expect the same amount in return.

And if you want it to be a private wedding ceremony, then that's what it will be. It's your wedding. You could try to explain that people generally don't invite their co-workers and boss to their wedding where you're from, but it may be best not to tell anyone anything.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:04:39 pm by BTeacher »

• Koreak
  • Super Waygook

• November 13, 2010, 08:15:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 09:26:35 pm »
My advice would be to not give out an invitation at all. 

My wife and I just wanted to have a small ceremony with our families and friend. But we decided it should be proper to invite the head people at the school.  So I brought invitations in for my principal, vice-principal and my co-teacher.  They promptly scanned the invitation and sent it out to everyone in the school via CoolMessenger and invited everyone to my wedding.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 09:48:07 am »
Just explain to your school it is western style and you are keeping it small. They may be a little surprised at first, but secretly happy they don't have to give you money.

• LemonWater
  • Super Waygook

• September 09, 2010, 10:45:32 am
    • Gwangju
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 11:27:49 am »
I just had a wedding. The hall we booked was only for 100 people. I invited the English teachers, who I am most close with, and the principal and VP. It seemed to work out well.

They will understand if there are only a limited number of spots. They also would not want to feel obliged to go if they don't know you very well.

If you do invite any co-workers, just tell them that it will be a small wedding when you give them the invitation.