Read 2606 times

What should the typical final month's pay for someone at Level 2  (2.2mil KRW/mo) be if you are not renewing? From my understanding it's August pay + Exit Allowance (1.3mil) + Severance, right? With severance being roughly equal to one month's pay? I typically got ~1.9mil a month during the school year after pension etc were taken out. 

I'm already back in the US (used my vacation to leave early at my school's suggestion; my last day according to the contract is August 25) and my school has just wired me ~$2800USD which seems short to me. With pay + exit + severance it should be around $4500 I think. Just wanted to confirm before I emailed my co-teacher.

Re: Final month's pay for EPIK, not sure if I got the correct amount...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 07:01:24 am »
 A lot of the time the shortfall is due to it only being part of your pay check. However, due to your start/end date it's probably not that.

It's also taxed- and usually it pushes you into a higher tax bracket so that will take out more of a chunk than usual.

Just ask for a payslip. That way you aren't accusing anyone and you are doing it just for "your records" and/or "tax office" records and no one will get defensive
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 08:54:53 am »
A lot of the time the shortfall is due to it only being part of your pay check. However, due to your start/end date it's probably not that.

It's also taxed- and usually it pushes you into a higher tax bracket so that will take out more of a chunk than usual.

Just ask for a payslip. That way you aren't accusing anyone and you are doing it just for "your records" and/or "tax office" records and no one will get defensive

Make sure that they paid everything at once, as well. I got my payments for my last paycheck, my severance, and my flight money all at different times my last year in GEPIK.

• Pikkle
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2010, 06:12:22 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 09:55:34 am »
Don't forget your deposit should also be in that amount. When I last left, I had been given my last pay + severance + deposit in one go, and the exit allowance in another. Hopefully it's just something like that. Ask for your paystub. If there are any problems, contact your region's co-ordinator. Working through them is usually best to get everything squared away.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 10:23:30 am »
In my personal experience, I have never gotten my final month's pay, severance pay, and return airfare money all on the same day -- my severance pay and return airfare money have always been paid later. So maybe just wait a little longer and see if the severance and airfare money come in a week or so -- if you still have not received it by early September, then I would suggest contacting your MOE/POE and speaking to the coordinator there about it.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 05:59:53 am »
Cool, thanks all. I was hoping something like that was the case; I guess I'll give it another week or so before contacting them :)

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 10:43:38 am »
OP, your severance should be 2.2 mil - there should be no deductions from your base pay for severance.

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 12:36:56 pm »
I am guessing you are afraid they screwed you when they encouraged you to leave early?

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 06:41:05 am »
No, I'd never had any problems with getting paid, there was just some confusion when I was getting ready to leave about what had to be paid (co-teacher wasn't aware of the exit allowance for example) so I was worried they'd forgotten something. I got a transfer for the rest of the amount I was owed today though so everything's good  ;D