Read 30496 times

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Length of Stay in Korea
« on: March 18, 2011, 02:02:51 pm »
I've been thinking about this for myself and I've only been here 7 mos, but I love it here, even with my daily challenges. So I was wondering how many of you have already decided you're staying. Feel free to post here, how long you've been here and how long you're staying and why. If you're leaving, please don't post negative responses. I am just looking to get a feel for how many feel the way I do about staying.  :D

EDIT: I will be on my second contract year soon and still loving it. Looking forward to hear what others who recently joined Waygook have to say.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:36:12 am by weirdgirlinkorea »
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• lburlew
  • Waygookin

• September 06, 2010, 02:08:13 pm
    • Incheon
Re: Length of Stay in Korea
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 02:07:30 pm »
I'm just about to reach my 7 month mark as well, and I have to say that I'm really on the fence about this! On the one hand, I do enjoy this country and I worry that the hard work I've spent learning Korean will be wasted going back home. But on the other, I don't know if I could last one more whole year. I'm playing with the idea of negotiating with my school for an extra 6 months, but another part of me wants to go home and throw myself into courses I would need to get into the publishing industry.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 02:08:56 pm »
I'm in my 11th month and I'm staying for my second year...Korea may have it's problems here and there but overall it's a good place to live for an extended period of time

• taro
  • Waygookin

• June 14, 2010, 06:20:30 am
    • Seo-gu, Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 02:12:27 pm »
I'm in my 11th month but I pretty much decided from the beginning that this would be a one year thing the off to the next adventure!

Korea is great though.

• cleo999
  • Adventurer

• May 31, 2010, 01:58:01 pm
    • Incheon south korea
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 02:18:52 pm »
Im with you taro!

Also in my 11th month - Ive had a great time here but I definitely hav to move on. I think if I stay another year itl be harder to leave. I also wanna get back to university and focus more on business english - and there is never a better time than the present!!

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:19:16 pm »
been here for 7 months now and don't really want to go home to be honest. it would take something huge to budge me from here. I for all intents and purposes will probably end up becoming a long timer. I think thats actually a common thing for British Males, I mean who really wants to go back to old Blighty?
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 02:22:29 pm »
I am with you. I don't want to go back either. I might even get another degree from a Korean University since I don't plan on leaving. Why return when I have it so good here?
 :D
been here for 7 months now and don't really want to go home to be honest. it would take something huge to budge me from here. I for all intents and purposes will probably end up becoming a long timer. I think thats actually a common thing for British Males, I mean who really wants to go back to old Blighty?
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 02:30:42 pm »
I am with you. I don't want to go back either. I might even get another degree from a Korean University since I don't plan on leaving. Why return when I have it so good here?
 :D

Exactly! Im tired of the woes of Britain. Im tired of the fact that things there happen at a snails pace. Every time I talk with my family they always say the same thing. Nothing's changed. And really, when I look on facebook at all my UK friends pages, everything is still the same. they are doing the same things they where doing half a year ago, actually make that 2-3 years ago. Old Blighty is like a leech of the soul in many ways
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

• Darkeru
  • Expert Waygook

• September 08, 2010, 01:03:17 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 02:33:31 pm »
Another Brit here. I certainly want to stay a second year. I'm not sure about a third yet, but eventually I want to try Japan if I can.

I do want to return to Britain at some point for a post-graduate degree though (though with the apparently increased prices...) I've heard ones from Korean universities aren't seen as good, by anyone outside of Korea.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 02:41:31 pm by Darkeru »
[In Korea once more - Working in Pyeongtaek]

• swizzle
  • Adventurer

• October 07, 2010, 09:54:55 am
    • Masan
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 02:35:49 pm »
I'm on my 6th contract and 45th month here.  Once this contract is up next January, I'm out!  I've already enrolled and put down a deposit to continue my education at a college in the US so I can't change my mind and decide to stay.  To be honest with myself, I guess I'm generally disgusted with Korea.  I tell myself and everyone else that I like it here though and I always trick myself into thinking that things will get better which causes me to stay another year.  I'm done fooling myself, so I'm moving on. 

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 02:42:02 pm »
one year is enough, the way i see it.
i mean, it depends on the person. yeah, the money's good, the job is easy. but for what i want to do down the road, this isn't really challenging me too much, ya know? also, quality over quantity, as far as the money goes.
probably has a lot with what you have to go back to. i have a pretty amazingly solid network waiting for me, and here, everybody's so spread out, and unless you're fluent in korean, even though you live in cities of millions, you're limited to thousands. i just want to be more connected to my community, is all.
too social for my own good!

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 02:42:49 pm »
meant to add:

even if i wasn't going home, i wouldn't stay here. i'd ship off to a different country. tired of living on an island!

• blake
  • Veteran

• September 13, 2010, 07:45:11 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 02:44:41 pm »
I'm running up on three years now. I'm not going back to my home country but rather moving to America. If my wife (who I met in Korea) wasn't American, I'd probably stay in Korea. I'm going through a rough patch of hating this place at the moment due to things you don't really notice in your first honeymoon year. There's a lot we put up with that is, as swizzle said, disgusting. But it has, for the most part, been a wonderful country to live in. Easy job, good middle class lifestyle, and women with great legs. What else do you need, right?

• will141414
  • Waygookin

• March 03, 2011, 08:27:26 am
    • Bucheon, South Korea
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 02:45:41 pm »
I have been here for 8 years!  (no Korean wife!!)  I'm only here because there are little to NO jobs back in the states.  Korea is the best "Salary vs Cost of living" place to be!  As many of you SHOULD be aware, the SMOE and EPIK programs are being fazed out!  People have already felt the sting of the Korean "knee jerk reaction" and lost their jobs.  The NET program has lost most all of its funding so I have begun to search for other positions.  Those of you in Hogwans (slave labor) will be pretty safe. 

Good luck to all of you!

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 02:49:05 pm »
Easy job, good middle class lifestyle, and women with great legs. What else do you need, right?

haha agreed!

• eveliens
  • Super Waygook

• November 05, 2010, 08:49:25 am
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 02:52:20 pm »
I planned on two years for finacial reasons and after being here for 6 months I can see that as doable. But I don't think I'd stay beyond that. Maybe try a different country for a year or so... but eventually I'd like to go back home and get my Masters.

My friend is in the JET program and she wants to stay for as long as they let her. All I can think is Yikes, no thanks  :D

• karenology
  • Veteran

• October 03, 2010, 06:00:08 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 02:53:58 pm »
I'm on the fence.  On the one hand, I really miss my friends and family.  And my cat.  I'm 27 and am feeling the pressure to get it together and be a grownup!

On the other hand...my school is great to me, and I love my students (even at their brattiest).  This is my first time teaching and I'm really enjoying it.  I don't think I'd enjoy it so much back in the States, what with this current backlash against teachers (seriously, what is the deal with that?).  I started at a weird time, and am contemplating asking to stay through the end of the semester so I can see my 3rd graders through graduation. 

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 02:59:44 pm »
I'm nearing the two-year mark.  I hope to stay for a third year.  Failing that, I'll probably end up following my husband to the US and languishing in absolute boredom for a while until I get LPR status.  I am not looking forward to that. 

Edit:  leaving in August (after 2 years), moving to Canada.  Crazy. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:37:30 pm by teacher_del »

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 03:02:19 pm »
I've been here 4 1/2 years. I'm working on my 5th contract at the moment. I like living here, but I think 5 years is the maximum for me. I'm not going back to the States, too many countryies, too little time. Probably heading to Japan next year. I wish S.E. Asia paid better!  :laugh:

• blake
  • Veteran

• September 13, 2010, 07:45:11 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 03:09:27 pm »
Hogwans
You've been here eight years and transliterate 학원 as hogwon? Good lord.