Read 7857 times

Random gov health check BS
« on: August 02, 2013, 10:36:00 am »
What the hell is with this random government-sponsored health check crap?

I have to do it for my present school with a deadline of december 31st even though I'm changing schools in september. I asked them today if I could do it monday before vacation and they're like "Oh no you need to get permission from the office downstairs" I'm like "HOW?" then more BS about how I need id and password from my other co-teacher who's on vacation.

This whole thing is complete unnecessary garbage.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: Random gov health check BS
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:12:24 am »
E2 visa holders have to have a health check done every time they renew their visa. the MOE (or government, I'm not sure who it is exactly) pays for teachers to have their health check every other year, and this includes NETs.

I'm pretty sure that's what's up at least.

edit: i was wrong.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:26:52 pm by taeyang »
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 11:27:41 am »
E2 visa holders have to have a health check done every time they renew their visa. the MOE (or government, I'm not sure who it is exactly) pays for teachers to have their health check every other year, and this includes NETs.

Wrong.... they don't pay, we pay.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 11:30:08 am »
They said they'd pay

This is not for visa renewal, this is a 'random' test. Could've happened to any teacher in the school
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 11:31:50 am by waterfall12 »

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 11:31:24 am »

I pay for my yearly/contractual foreigner check.

My school pays for my bi-annual check that all teachers take (Korean).  I'm going to guess that most schools pay for this check for all their teachers.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 11:58:23 am »
I've been at the same school for years. I think they tried to get me to do the health check once, and I said no way. I do it every year for renewal, and if they want to see the results they can get a copy from the MOE.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 12:45:13 pm »

there's one every year that they pay for, but that doesn't include the HIV tests.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 01:26:17 pm »

You don't have to get one every time you renewed your visa.

I renewed twice at my last school without a health check.

I do have to get the "every 2 years" check done but I don't pay for that.

I think it depends on your MOE, but every MOE does not make you get the health check at renewal.

ahh! you're right. i spaced out - the health check is for the MOE, not for immigration. why did i think it was...? sorry OP!

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 02:04:28 pm »
Ahhhhhh ok.

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 05:43:29 pm »
you get a free health check from nhic every 2 years, if you don't do this you can be fined. it's usually done at one those assembly line clinics where you go station to station.  a week or two after that you will get a nice bound report on your health. funny thing for me it said i was "moribundly obese" and needed to excercise etc. even though i do 16k or so a week.

if you are certain age, it will include things like an endoscope and colonoscopy which you can opt of (my dr said I didn't need it). 

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 10:59:46 am »
you get a free health check from nhic every 2 years, if you don't do this you can be fined.

Where did you hear this?  Who requires this?  NHIC?

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 02:07:58 pm »
you get a free health check from nhic every 2 years, if you don't do this you can be fined.

NHIC, my regular dr (I have typical middle age problems plus since I run I like somebody keeping an eye on my knees and there is a great sports medicine doc where I go), and my TA told me, I was insistent on not doing it because I was not going to go through an endoscopy and colonoscopy when my reg dr said there was no need for me to have one, that was until I was told I would be fined 100k by nhic if i didn't. I managed to get them to cut those 2 things out. I was also told the only person who gets the report is you. I really don't want my univ to find out all my inner health details. Heck my regular dr is located across town from where I live and further from my univ. I go that far for privacy

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 05:20:43 am »

Been here 5 years now and besides my annual health check for renewing my contract, I have never had one of these two year check ups and nor have any of my Korean teachers had at the two schools I have taught at.

So it doesn't appear to be a rule, at least not here in Seoul.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 07:40:33 am »
NHIC doesn't have the power to fine you.  I've gone without tests from NHIC; nobody gets fined.  Ask a Korean.

As far as the tests for teachers, it is the case in Gyeonggi-do that teachers get tested every 2 years and it's paid for by the school/gov't.  Your school may or may not include you as these teachers since we're kind of on the margins.  As mentioned, they'll inform you, probably with a paper, telling you it's required by Dec 31 of that year.  You go to a clinic (the list of clinics that can do it is much longer than the ones that do the visa/foreigner tests).  The staff there will the school that you met the requirement of taking it.

Confusedsaffer, did you ask your co-teachers about that?

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 07:50:00 am »

Been here 5 years now and besides my annual health check for renewing my contract, I have never had one of these two year check ups and nor have any of my Korean teachers had at the two schools I have taught at.

That's weird.  I have been here five years, and have had the med check twice.  It is part of the national health care plan--preventive medicine saves them a lot of money.  It's also a good deal for the employee.  A free health check every two years worth $150 or more. 

I cannot imagine what the OP is complaining about.  Except that it's the default setting for this board.

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 09:36:03 am »
Its actually a good deal just sort of take their conclusions with a grain a salt, had a friends husband who is great shape being told he was "obese" and needed to lose 15kgs which would take him back to his hs weight. Also said the same thing about me even though I (sort of) excercise regularly, don't smoke and rarely drink. Go to an international clinic and have the dr there go over the results

Think what my dr said on second thought if I didn't get it done some NHIC benefits wouldn't kick in for like cancer etc. My TA said I would be fined 100k, a lot of my colleagues didn't want to do it because they didn't want the endo or colon or they were fearing getting fired for high cholesterol/blood pressure etc.

Think what we all fear is our personal medical info getting into the wrong hands

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 11:38:54 am »

That's weird.  I have been here five years, and have had the med check twice.  It is part of the national health care plan--preventive medicine saves them a lot of money.  It's also a good deal for the employee.  A free health check every two years worth $150 or more. 

I cannot imagine what the OP is complaining about.  Except that it's the default setting for this board.

I was complaining about my school's administration's lack of comprehension on the subject

• popeye2u
  • Expert Waygook

• April 05, 2011, 09:45:37 am
    • S of N. Korea
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 08:40:51 am »
Just refuse.  We are not Korean teachers and are on different contracts.  It's another example of putting everyone in the same boat.  We are not in the same boat.  They asked me twice and told them It doesnt apply to foreign teachers.  They finally left me alone.  Nothing ever happened. 
Illegally Screwed By Employers in Korea:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1628928127347749/

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 10:08:55 am »

I was complaining about my school's administration's lack of comprehension on the subject
Then you were unclear.  You said:  "What the hell is with this random government-sponsored health check crap?" 
You then said: "This whole thing is complete unnecessary garbage", leading the reasonable reader to think you feel that getting a free medical check up every two years is random, unnecessary, crap and garbage.

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 10:42:10 am »
Its not MOE, its for the national health insurance. Do it, but get it done FAAAAAAAAR away from your school. You want this to just be between you and your doctor.
Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.