Read 3238 times

Any info on possible job cuts in Seoul (EPIK)???
« on: July 22, 2013, 09:48:15 am »
I'm a middle school teacher in Seoul (EPIK) and I've heard that middle/high jobs will continue being cut.  I'm a little worried because I am dead set on staying in Seoul for two years.  Does anyone have any basic information?  Is EPIK generally accommodating in these situations?  I'd switch schools and housing if I had to but leaving Seoul would be very, very rough right now. 

Re: Any info on possible job cuts in Seoul (EPIK)???
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 09:53:45 am »
to be honest i'm amazed there are any middle and high school jobs still left at all in Seoul, with the rate they have been cutting.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 10:33:51 am »
I thought SMOE was finished altogether and only Gangnam hired for public schools under its own program? There are still public school jobs in Seoul?

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 04, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 10:36:07 am »
SMOE might switch you to an elementary (as far as I know they still have elementary NETs in Seoul...), but you might just get cut.  Tough breaks I'm afraid.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:42:08 am »
Yes there are still plenty of public school jobs in Seoul but almost all are elementary school.

• Freeto
  • Expert Waygook

• September 10, 2010, 01:24:42 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:54:57 am »
SMOE still has elementary NETs. A new batch started in March AFAIK.

In past years many middle/high school NETs in Seoul were given the option to transfer to elementary.
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:14:22 am »
  You would be better off working for a hogwan if your goal is too stay longterm.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 12:11:43 pm »
Here's some advice. It may sound cynical but it's the reality of the situation.

The long-term trend is for jobs to be eliminated. But, that doesn't mean your job will be eliminated. Stay positive, work hard, and try to listen to rumors but don't believe anything until you see it happen.
Don't trust counselors or advisors or whatever they're called in EPIK. They will lie to you and say "everything is fine" or "get out now" while they're using their insider positions to find jobs for themselves and their friends. Find a Korean teacher you can trust and see what they have to say. You can even talk to your Principal but don't go in begging for your job. Some have begged for their jobs and have given up vacation time, salary, and one story I've heard had someone volunteering to surrender their re-signing bonus and flight ticket home if the school kept them for another year. Don't be one of those worms.
If you're good at this and hardworking you'll survive somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:13:27 pm by 2twiceasnice »

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 12:50:22 pm »
I know at least 1 middle school teacher that works for SMOE in Seoul.

The jobs still exist, they're just in a tiny minority.

Literally a handful left.

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 02:48:26 pm »
I'm a middle school teacher in Seoul (EPIK) and I've heard that middle/high jobs will continue being cut.  I'm a little worried because I am dead set on staying in Seoul for two years.  Does anyone have any basic information?  Is EPIK generally accommodating in these situations?  I'd switch schools and housing if I had to but leaving Seoul would be very, very rough right now.

Considering that Busan is also dropping the hammer on middle school teachers, you might want to take your talents to Daejeon or Gyeongsangnam Province. Times are changing, and you have to change with them. I should know, I got the axe last year. Speaking from experience, going home can do you wonders. You'll come back with a new perspective on many things.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:27:17 pm by kingkeiser »

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 03:45:52 pm »
I came in the the last intake and work in SMOE at a middle school.

At the last training in May there was maybe 15 of us and 11 were ones who came in March. There is so few of us. I too have heard rumors we are going to be getting cut, which is a bummer because I LOVE my school and my students.

I want to stay another year also, but I'm afraid my position will be cut. I'm crossing my fingers that the area all the middle school teachers are in will get funding again for next school year, so  if the school wants a NET they can have one. Otherwise, I will pray I get transferred to an elementary school.

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 09:39:46 pm »

Considering that Busan is also dropping the hammer on middle school teachers, you might want to take your talents to Daejeon or Gyeongsangnam Province. Times are changing, and you have to change with them. I should know, I got the axe last year. Speaking from experience, going home can do you wonders. You'll come back with a new perspective on many things.
[/quote]

It's not that easy for all of us.  I am very active in the music scene here and have a girlfriend who I care about a lot.  At the end of the day I understand that I may not have a choice, but I will fight hard to stay in this city. 

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 09:46:54 pm »
If there are positions, usually SMOE will transfer existing teachers (as long as your renewal eval is good) before hiring new ones. So you've at least got one step before completely being out of a job.

There are a few high school jobs around, but they are getting even slimmer this year, with reductions happening again each renewal round.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 08:11:21 am »
 You can also get jobs at Private Christian public schools. These are similar to SMOE contracts but you get University style vacation packages. Best of all these are not influenced but trends such as downsizing. These jobs are hard to get currently Star recuiters deals with them.