Read 177418 times

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #580 on: June 22, 2018, 04:41:35 am »
Hi All.
Does anyone know how long the process from start to finish takes?
And if its possible to pause the application without having to re-apply. Like after you receive Packet 3 how long do they give you to collect the required documents? Do you have 6 months/a year before they void the application?
The medical check-up is only good for six months. After that, you have to do it again. And that ain't cheap, at least in Korea.

The process was pretty quick for me and my spouse in SK. I didn't have to wait long for appointments and the paperwork was processed quickly. Then you have to travel to the US for the last step and it was less than a month before the green card arrived.

What takes time is getting all the documents you need and having them translated, etc.

• twinsaurus
  • Veteran

• February 22, 2014, 12:22:03 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #581 on: June 25, 2018, 04:52:43 pm »
OK, I may be overthinking this, but is it enough to bring my tax transcripts/W2s to show that finances are in order, or do I also have to somehow prove my employability in the states? Some people mentioned earlier in this thread that they had a "letter of intent" or emails from potential employers in the States and that gets me worried... our interview is this Thursday but we're not moving to the States until October... so I have nothing to show my employability as of yet besides a teaching certificate.

« Reply #582 on: June 25, 2018, 06:45:42 pm »
OK, I may be overthinking this, but is it enough to bring my tax transcripts/W2s to show that finances are in order, or do I also have to somehow prove my employability in the states? Some people mentioned earlier in this thread that they had a "letter of intent" or emails from potential employers in the States and that gets me worried... our interview is this Thursday but we're not moving to the States until October... so I have nothing to show my employability as of yet besides a teaching certificate.

Most Iíve read here seem to say that proof of present income is enough even if you obviously wonít have the same job after moving. Maybe those who have provided other documents were being overly cautious as you are, or couldnít prove a current income high enough and so were asked for additional documents.  That said, havenít had our interview yet. Let us know how it goes!

« Reply #583 on: June 26, 2018, 07:58:35 am »

Most Iíve read here seem to say that proof of present income is enough even if you obviously wonít have the same job after moving. Maybe those who have provided other documents were being overly cautious as you are, or couldnít prove a current income high enough and so were asked for additional documents.  That said, havenít had our interview yet. Let us know how it goes!

When I had to deal with this situation back in 2015, I was told that any overseas income would not count (as I would no longer have it once I went to the States). I was told that I'd either have to have a substantial amount in savings (i.e. around $60,000.00) or I would need someone to agree to be a sponsor (via form i-134 - affidavit of support). I should not, this was for a fiance visa. They also needed to provide proof of income and additional documentation to go along with the i-134.

• skheibel
  • Newgookin

• September 06, 2015, 05:17:29 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #584 on: June 26, 2018, 01:02:28 pm »
Hey you guys. I applied for the CR-1 9 weeks ago and we still haven't heard anything. When we applied, we were told it could take up to 90 days but I'm still really nervous about it. Anyone else currently waiting? Thanks.

• twinsaurus
  • Veteran

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #585 on: June 26, 2018, 02:07:26 pm »

When I had to deal with this situation back in 2015, I was told that any overseas income would not count (as I would no longer have it once I went to the States). I was told that I'd either have to have a substantial amount in savings (i.e. around $60,000.00) or I would need someone to agree to be a sponsor (via form i-134 - affidavit of support). I should not, this was for a fiance visa. They also needed to provide proof of income and additional documentation to go along with the i-134.

My husband (the immigrant) has substantial enough savings in his name, but since I'm the sponsor I don't think that would count towards my income... unless the US considers that marital property. I'll print it out and see what they say about it.

Thanks all

• sto1986
  • Explorer

• September 08, 2011, 09:44:04 pm
« Reply #586 on: June 27, 2018, 07:45:51 pm »
Hey you guys. I applied for the CR-1 9 weeks ago and we still haven't heard anything. When we applied, we were told it could take up to 90 days but I'm still really nervous about it. Anyone else currently waiting? Thanks.

I am currently waiting as well. Went to the embassy on May 11th and have not gotten any email response or anything? I know they said it would take about 3 months for them to process the application, but it's been over a month now (going on 7th weeks to be exact). Does anyone on this forum have any experience with a long waiting time to process the I-130 application and how long did you wait to get your Packet 3 email? My wife and I are ready to leave Korea so we really want to get the process rolling? What should I do if two months pass and still no email?

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #587 on: June 28, 2018, 01:23:48 am »

I am currently waiting as well. Went to the embassy on May 11th and have not gotten any email response or anything? I know they said it would take about 3 months for them to process the application, but it's been over a month now (going on 7th weeks to be exact). Does anyone on this forum have any experience with a long waiting time to process the I-130 application and how long did you wait to get your Packet 3 email? My wife and I are ready to leave Korea so we really want to get the process rolling? What should I do if two months pass and still no email?
I had a very short wait in the spring of 2017.

The long wait now could be for a variety of reasons--more people applying, lower staffing, trump's desire for much less immigration to the US, or something else like time of year.

I'd look for a contact regarding the application and call or e-mail them, although they'll probably just give you the three months line. But it never hurts to call, even if all you get is a little peace of mind. 

• twinsaurus
  • Veteran

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #588 on: June 28, 2018, 10:24:57 am »
We just finished the CR-1 interview and passed!! All our paperwork was in order, thank God. However, the woman asked if I have any documentation regarding when my current contract ends, to assure that I actually don't have plans to keep living and working here. I didn't think to bring my contract, and she said it was OK, but it might be useful to bring a copy for those of you like me who dont plan to leave Korea for a few more months and don't have any employment prospects in the States yet.

Otherwise it was a breeze! We waited about 1.5 hrs past our interview time. What a load off my shoulders.

« Reply #589 on: June 28, 2018, 11:20:39 am »
We just finished the CR-1 interview and passed!! All our paperwork was in order, thank God. However, the woman asked if I have any documentation regarding when my current contract ends, to assure that I actually don't have plans to keep living and working here. I didn't think to bring my contract, and she said it was OK, but it might be useful to bring a copy for those of you like me who dont plan to leave Korea for a few more months and don't have any employment prospects in the States yet.

Otherwise it was a breeze! We waited about 1.5 hrs past our interview time. What a load off my shoulders.

ㅊㅋㅊㅋ!

Did you end up figuring this out, either the easy way or the hard way?

• twinsaurus
  • Veteran

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #590 on: June 28, 2018, 09:03:42 pm »

Did you end up figuring this out, either the easy way or the hard way?

Haha yes, I think they do want to see some proof of employability but it isn't a requirement by any means. I didn't have any proof and we still passed. It was enough for me to tell them that my contract will end in August. Thanks for the 'grats!

• tisha12
  • Newgookin

• August 05, 2015, 08:27:59 am
    • Ulsan, South Korea
« Reply #591 on: March 26, 2019, 11:00:44 am »
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some confirmation but in order to file for the I-130 in person at the USCIS I have to make an appointment online. BUT is which website is it?

Is it through the:
A.  https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=SEO&appcode=1 website
B: https://my.uscis.gov/en/appointment/v2 (INFOPASS website)

I'm guessing its the INFOPASS website but the message that pops up is that no appointments are available.

Thank you in advance!

« Reply #592 on: March 26, 2019, 11:14:03 am »
I don't know why you're getting that message, but I did everything through the second link (USCIS) when I went through the green card process some years ago.

• tisha12
  • Newgookin

• August 05, 2015, 08:27:59 am
    • Ulsan, South Korea
« Reply #593 on: March 26, 2019, 11:18:58 am »
I don't know why you're getting that message, but I did everything through the second link (USCIS) when I went through the green card process some years ago.

Thanks for the response. After looking through the thread some more it seems like the website only shows up to 2 weeks in advance of available time slots at the time someone is looking - so everything has already been filled in advanced! Thank you!

« Reply #594 on: March 27, 2019, 04:08:00 pm »
How can I file my taxes for the US government while I'm in Korea? I want to be able to use my income tax for the sponsorship of my husband. How long would I need to be working in Korea before it shows that I make enough for 2 people. (20,575) Please PM me ❤️

« Reply #595 on: April 14, 2019, 03:12:38 am »
Hi everyone. I'm looking for some confirmation but in order to file for the I-130 in person at the USCIS I have to make an appointment online. BUT is which website is it?

Is it through the:
A.  https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs/default.asp?postcode=SEO&appcode=1 website
B: https://my.uscis.gov/en/appointment/v2 (INFOPASS website)

I'm guessing its the INFOPASS website but the message that pops up is that no appointments are available.

Thank you in advance!

Iím on the same boat! I cannot find any available appointments to submit my i-130 to uscis so i can start this journey.. any help is appreciated..

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #596 on: April 14, 2019, 09:14:55 am »
The Trumpian admin decided to cut uscis services. The blackouts could be related.

https://inhomelandsecurity.com/trump-administration-closing-citizenship-and-immigration-services-offices-abroad/

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #597 on: April 16, 2019, 02:42:04 am »
I  got this message for two immigration offices in different US cities:

Important office information
This office is not accepting walk-in requests or scheduling InfoPass appointments.

You may have missed the boat. Make sure to vote Dem.

And there's this:

More and more aspiring immigrants Ė especially Mexicans Ė are being denied visas based on determinations by the U.S. State Department that they might become "public charges," dependent on the government for support, according to official data and interviews with attorneys, immigrants and their family members.

Lawyers for some immigrants say consular officers are denying visas even when applicants fulfill legal requirements to prove they will be financially independent.

The refusals, capping an often complex and lengthy application process, can trap people for months or longer outside the United States, separated from American spouses and children, as they renew their efforts to legally return. Some may never be able to go back.

One reason for the rise in refusals are little-known changes last year in the State Department's foreign affairs manual that gave diplomats wider discretion in deciding visa denials on public-charge grounds.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 02:54:49 am by gogators! »

« Reply #598 on: April 16, 2019, 11:59:59 am »
I  got this message for two immigration offices in different US cities:

Important office information
This office is not accepting walk-in requests or scheduling InfoPass appointments.

I got an appointment already. They donít just release all the available appointments all at once.... thank you anyway

You may have missed the boat. Make sure to vote Dem.

And there's this:

More and more aspiring immigrants Ė especially Mexicans Ė are being denied visas based on determinations by the U.S. State Department that they might become "public charges," dependent on the government for support, according to official data and interviews with attorneys, immigrants and their family members.

Lawyers for some immigrants say consular officers are denying visas even when applicants fulfill legal requirements to prove they will be financially independent.

The refusals, capping an often complex and lengthy application process, can trap people for months or longer outside the United States, separated from American spouses and children, as they renew their efforts to legally return. Some may never be able to go back.

One reason for the rise in refusals are little-known changes last year in the State Department's foreign affairs manual that gave diplomats wider discretion in deciding visa denials on public-charge grounds.