Read 183366 times

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2014, 01:39:26 pm »
Wow Maureen, cutting it pretty close eh?

i dont know how long the process takes. BUT i will say, for the I-864 you need to provide the MOST recent tax transcript for three years.

you can list this year (2013), but you still need to list 2012 and 2011. you dont have to provide the transcripts for those, unless requested.

the IRS has this handy thing now, you can get the transcripts online.

(or ask them to mail the transcripts to you).
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• detunedkorea
  • Adventurer

• November 08, 2011, 12:29:00 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2014, 09:34:12 am »

I was told by the Seoul office that it is optimal for you to be at the airport with your spouse. The immigration officer at the port of entry also gave us the impression that if I hadn't been with him, my husband would have had a harder time at the port of entry. This doesn't mean that you can't go separately, but it may muck up things. We decided not to risk it (even though it meant I had to quit my year contract).

That is what I was told initially too. My wife already received her visa back and we are planning on moving to the US in April, however, she is still working and has to take a business trip to Guam.  I emailed Customs and Border Protection, which is different from the Seoul visa office, and they said she should hand in packet when entering Guam and there should be no problems.  But I am sure they will be asking her a few extra questions.  She will be traveling alone and only be there for a few days so we will see how it goes.

If everything works out it will be nice to have things moving before we get to the US for good.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2014, 07:15:25 am »
For you newbies just starting the process... PLEASE make sure to apply through the Seoul immi office, or you may end up in a very very very long line:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/us/program-benefiting-some-immigrants-extends-visa-wait-for-others.html?ref=us

yes. i fell prey to this
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

• Maureen
  • Veteran

• October 27, 2010, 11:48:32 am
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2014, 12:53:19 pm »

i dont know how long the process takes. BUT i will say, for the I-864 you need to provide the MOST recent tax transcript for three years.

you can list this year (2013), but you still need to list 2012 and 2011. you dont have to provide the transcripts for those, unless requested.

But 2013 taxes aren't due yet...how will I have a tax transcript for that? And how long after I file the 2012 tax will I be able to request the transcipt online? Do you have the site for that? I didn't work in 2011, so I don't need to list that year right?

Yea, I had family visiting so just started the process recently. Thanks a lot for the help!

@asalchert- Alright, thanks for the info. I don't want to mess things up, so I'll probably go together at the port of entry.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2014, 01:14:18 pm »

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

But 2013 taxes aren't due yet...how will I have a tax transcript for that? And how long after I file the 2012 tax will I be able to request the transcipt online? Do you have the site for that? I didn't work in 2011, so I don't need to list that year right?

Yea, I had family visiting so just started the process recently. Thanks a lot for the help!

@asalchert- Alright, thanks for the info. I don't want to mess things up, so I'll probably go together at the port of entry.

Hi. I actually just got mine a couple hours ago.
open an IE browser,
go to www.irs.gov and click on the third orange tab, "Tools", "Get Transcript of Your Tax Records"
you can have it mailed to your home (USA, filed address), or you can print it out online (must set up an account first)

if you file yours and wait a couple weeks (less than 21days, fingers crossed), then you can request the transcripts.
I clicked on "Get Transcript Online" and set up an account.  then, i clicked on the year and printed it out.   note: the "*" indicates it is still processing, and you will only be able to print a 'non-filed' letter. ^.^ makes sense, because the Transcript hasnt been completed yet.

but after it is 'finished' being filed, it will not have a star next to it, and you can print it out.

2012 and 2011 should already be available, if you filed them.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:15:58 pm by iamrhart »

• nschluet
  • Newgookin

• August 19, 2013, 01:53:30 pm
    • Namyangju, Korea
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2014, 02:55:57 pm »
Thanks to everyone posting on this thread!  It's been a huge help so far!  I have a couple questions.

1) I've noticed people talk about background checks.  My wife (Korean) lived in America for several years after she was 18.  Does she need to get a background check? Plus, I (American) lived in France for a year. Do I need one from there?

2) I'm a teacher.  I'm well above the poverty line.  I only have 1 year of taxes to show. It seems like this won't be a problem.  Does anyone think otherwise?

3) We want to do this whole process ASAP.  Can my wife get her medical check now?  Before we file the I-130? Or does anyone have any general advice for getting the visa as soon as possible?

Thanks!

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2014, 03:03:25 pm »
Thanks to everyone posting on this thread!  It's been a huge help so far!  I have a couple questions.

1) I've noticed people talk about background checks.  My wife (Korean) lived in America for several years after she was 18.  Does she need to get a background check? Plus, I (American) lived in France for a year. Do I need one from there?

2) I'm a teacher.  I'm well above the poverty line.  I only have 1 year of taxes to show. It seems like this won't be a problem.  Does anyone think otherwise?

3) We want to do this whole process ASAP.  Can my wife get her medical check now?  Before we file the I-130? Or does anyone have any general advice for getting the visa as soon as possible?

Thanks!

1) any location that you have stayed at for 6 months or more you will need a Criminal record check.
Correction: you are the sponsor. so the CRC is from Her.

2) the salary is a big thing. but as long as (2 people) you are 125% or more of the Federal poverty level, you are alright.
3) Medical Checks are at specific hospitals, and the results are valid for 6 months. The validity of the Med Check cannot expire before entering the USA.  so, if you get the med check tomorrow, and results on the 14th, then August 15th she is invalid. she would have to land in the usa before 6 months.

• detrong
  • Waygookin

• February 06, 2014, 05:49:03 pm
    • gwangju
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2014, 09:03:17 am »
hello everyone..I got a quick question for anyone who just had their visa interview..Do they ask for a sponsor review fee before the interview?

• Shinu
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2012, 09:23:25 am
    • Daegu
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2014, 12:36:03 pm »
hello everyone..I got a quick question for anyone who just had their visa interview..Do they ask for a sponsor review fee before the interview?

When we went in, they didn't ask for any other fee other than the application processing fee which was $230.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2014, 12:42:00 pm »
Yeah. We also paid the $230 fee using the internet payment.

• Rilakuma
  • Adventurer

• June 07, 2011, 03:18:47 pm
    • Bundang, Gyeonggi
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2014, 03:11:18 pm »
Just finished the interview yesterday and thought I would share our experience.  (I think we passed!)

We finished, went back in, talked to the person at the window for a sec,  went downstairs and paid the fee (253,000 won),  sat down and waited for about 40 minutes or an hour.  They called her up made her swear that everything was true, do her fingerprint scans and everything was all done.   They didn't even ask her any questions. We got out of there just before 11:00 so it took about 3 hours.  They said we would receive her passport in about a week so I will update when we get it.  We noticed some people got some blue pieces of paper but we didn't.  My wife asked the guy at the window and he said that is for people who were missing something, and since we didn't get one, I guess we are good!

Documents they took:

• 4 Korean documents translated and notarized
           - Marriage Certificate
           - Record Check
           - Family Certificate
           - Birth Certificate
  • Unopened medical check from Yonsei Severance
  • Background check from New Zealand (they were sent this directly from the police in New Zealand.  We never had possession of this)
  • The affidavit of support
  • My Income tax transcript for 2012
  • Email from my parents with electronic signature stating that we were going to stay with them
  • Print out of my credit card statement
  • Screenshot of my checking account activity (couldn't print out the statement)
  • my employment contract showing end date of employment
  • Her passport

Things they did not take
  • Photocopies of Id cards or passports
  • Other Prior year tax transcripts
  • Paper application for immigrant visa

My experience was like this, only I was late. Appointment was for 8:00 and I got there at 8:15. It didn't matter anyway because you just take a ticket and wait for an hour before anything happens. People who have an earlier ticket are served first. There were probably 15 parties in the waiting area that day. We were late so of course we were served last T^T
First they called our number and we handed in the docs, but when I showed my husband's passport they said we were supposed to get a barcode sticker from the first floor. We ran down to get it from the information desk near the entrance. Upon approaching the window again I was told I filled out the wrong form... I had to change from a I-864EZ to the regular I-864 because I had no W2, only the 2012 tax transcript. Frustrating, but no alternative so I did it anyways. As I was the sole financial supporter it was not necessary to give additional tax paperwork beyond the 2012 tax transcript. Then waiting again. 30 min later called up by name to go pay 253,000 on the second floor. Waiting and then called up again, just my husband for the interview which consisted of one question about our marriage date. Then the officer just said that we would get the passport with the visa back in a week. We left just before 11:00.

I'm glad that we got the visa process done within 6 weeks from the date we handed in the I-130. Like others said it could have gone faster, it was just the paperwork which kept us from setting an earlier appointment.

I was surprised by how little paperwork was taken, here's my list:
Korean docs (Translated, NOT notarized):
       - Marriage Certificate
       - Family Certificate
       - Birth Certificate
       - Certificate of Translation accuracy (made by using a template)
Medical Check Envelope
Australia Background Check, Korean Background Check w/ translation
Confirmation Sheet for form DS-260
I-864 Affidavit of Financial Support
2012 Income tax transcript
Husband's Passport
2Photos
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 03:12:54 pm by Rilakuma »

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2014, 03:22:32 pm »
Just finished the interview yesterday and thought I would share our experience.  (I think we passed!)

We finished, went back in, talked to the person at the window for a sec,  went downstairs and paid the fee (253,000 won),  sat down and waited for about 40 minutes or an hour.  They called her up made her swear that everything was true, do her fingerprint scans and everything was all done.   They didn't even ask her any questions. We got out of there just before 11:00 so it took about 3 hours.  They said we would receive her passport in about a week so I will update when we get it.  We noticed some people got some blue pieces of paper but we didn't.  My wife asked the guy at the window and he said that is for people who were missing something, and since we didn't get one, I guess we are good!

Documents they took:

- Marriage Certificate
           - Record Check
           - Family Certificate
           - Birth Certificate
  • Background check from New Zealand (they were sent this directly from the police in New Zealand.  We never had possession of this)
  • Email from my parents with electronic signature stating that we were going to stay with them
  • Her passport

Things they did not take
  • Photocopies of Id cards or passports
  • Other Prior year tax transcripts
  • Paper application for immigrant visa

My experience was like this, only I was late. Appointment was for 8:00 and I got there at 8:15. It didn't matter anyway because you just take a ticket and wait for an hour before anything happens. People who have an earlier ticket are served first. There were probably 15 parties in the waiting area that day. We were late so of course we were served last T^T
First they called our number and we handed in the docs, but when I showed my husband's passport they said we were supposed to get a barcode sticker from the first floor. We ran down to get it from the information desk near the entrance. Upon approaching the window again I was told I filled out the wrong form... I had to change from a I-864EZ to the regular I-864 because I had no W2, only the 2012 tax transcript. Frustrating, but no alternative so I did it anyways. As I was the sole financial supporter it was not necessary to give additional tax paperwork beyond the 2012 tax transcript. Then waiting again. 30 min later called up by name to go pay 253,000 on the second floor. Waiting and then called up again, just my husband for the interview which consisted of one question about our marriage date. Then the officer just said that we would get the passport with the visa back in a week. We left just before 11:00.

I'm glad that we got the visa process done within 6 weeks from the date we handed in the I-130. Like others said it could have gone faster, it was just the paperwork which kept us from setting an earlier appointment.

- Marriage Certificate
       - Family Certificate
       - Birth Certificate
Medical Check Envelope
Husband's Passport
2Photos

:wink: could have also taken a LOT longer

• Maureen
  • Veteran

« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2014, 01:47:23 pm »

- Marriage Certificate
           - Record Check
           - Family Certificate
           - Birth Certificate
  • Her passport

- Marriage Certificate
       - Family Certificate
       - Birth Certificate
Medical Check Envelope
Husband's Passport
2Photos

@toddc06 - Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but is the New Zealand background check for your wife? Just making sure because I'm not sure if my husband will need a US background check on top of his Korean one since he was in the US for a year.
Also how did you get an electronic signature from your parents?
Lastly, the credit card and checking statement printout is from your US bank account, correct? Thanks

@Rilakima - Same question, why did your husband need an Australian and Korea background check? And I-864 Affidavit of Financial Support do we need to bring the w-2 too?

Thank you so much everyone! I want to get this process done as soon as possible, so I don't want to mess up anything. All the info here have been very helpful ;D

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2014, 02:00:10 pm »

- Marriage Certificate
           - Record Check
           - Family Certificate
           - Birth Certificate
  • Her passport

- Marriage Certificate
       - Family Certificate
       - Birth Certificate
Medical Check Envelope
Husband's Passport
2Photos

@toddc06 - Sorry, if this is a dumb question, but is the New Zealand background check for your wife? Just making sure because I'm not sure if my husband will need a US background check on top of his Korean one since he was in the US for a year.
Also how did you get an electronic signature from your parents?
Lastly, the credit card and checking statement printout is from your US bank account, correct? Thanks

@Rilakima - Same question, why did your husband need an Australian and Korea background check? And I-864 Affidavit of Financial Support do we need to bring the w-2 too?

Thank you so much everyone! I want to get this process done as soon as possible, so I don't want to mess up anything. All the info here have been very helpful ;D

Hi Maureen. Its refreshing to see someone so avidly seeking advice on the topic.
I would like to point out, and hopefully it relieves some stress, that the Petitioner and Applicant do not have to submit the same documents.
For Example: The only one(s) needing to do the Background Check are the Applicant and anyone accompanying the applicant (who needs a visa).  The petitioner is already a resident with a Passport (i hope), so they dont need to submit it.

also, your husband wont need to provide Tax documents, since he is the Applicant, and you are the Petitioner (I-864).
sooo....yeah....just keep that in mind.
Especially for the form DS-260.

• detunedkorea
  • Adventurer

• November 08, 2011, 12:29:00 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2014, 02:15:12 pm »
Maureen

-Your husband needs a background check for any country he has lived in for more than 6 months.

-The electronic signature can just be a scanned copy of a signed letter (thats what I used with no problems)

-Yes the bank statements are from your US account just to show a continued presence in the US.

-W2 are not needed if you are giving copies of your taxes/transcipts

• Rilakuma
  • Adventurer

• June 07, 2011, 03:18:47 pm
    • Bundang, Gyeonggi
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2014, 03:28:44 pm »

My husband needed an Australian Background Check because he went to school in Australia and lived there for 5 years (any stay over 6 months needs a background check). The I-864 does not need the W-2, but you will need to submit a copy of your federal income taxes or a tax transcript.

• Maureen
  • Veteran

« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2014, 08:36:22 am »
@iamrhart- Thanks for the quick replies! You have been so helpful. Have you finished your process or still going at it? I'm also wondering if you know if I can continue the visa process back in the states? My school contract is almost up, so I need to fly back home soon. It'll be ideal if we can go back together with his visa completed. But worst case scenario, can I also apply for the engagement visa (K-1 for fiance) for him, even though we're already married?

@detunedkorea- Is the FBI criminal history summary correct? Does he need to notarized and apostiled? What about the Korean one? Also notarized?

@Rilakima- Did it take long for your husband to receive his Australian background check? Did they just mail it to Korea?

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:42:46 am by Maureen »

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2014, 08:41:13 am »
dont do it (the K visa)

i did that way. i started last year in June/July. and just now sent off my I-864. my way was through the USCIS in the USA, as per the instructions. i didnt find out until last Novermber/December that i should have used the Embassy here in SOuth Korea. sooo.....yeah....i applied for the I-130 and the K visa (using the I-129f), the 129F processed as fast as the I-130, but as soon as the I-130 was accepted, the 129F became obsolete.

Granted the 129F is free for a spouse, but its just extra work and waste of time.

if you change your address, you have to notify them. thats all i know about that situation.

• Maureen
  • Veteran

« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2014, 10:02:47 am »
Another question, my husband was in the US for 10 months, does he need a FBI criminal background check? I read that he only needs one if he stayed for 12 months. And his current residence is in Korea.

"You must obtain a police certificate from your country of nationality and the country of your current residence if your presence there was for 6 months or more after age 16. Police certificates from other countries are also required if your stay was for 12 months or more after age 16."

So he doesn't need one for the states right?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:30:22 am by Maureen »

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2014, 10:15:03 am »
pretty sure anything over 6 months only needs the Local Police Record

but you can always call and double check