Read 179725 times

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #320 on: February 23, 2015, 01:48:20 am »
Ive heard mixed things about lawyers. I hope u succeed.

Oh, by the way....3k? ^.^ awesome. Can you donate some.my way too? ^.^   (just kidding)
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• oskinny1
  • Expert Waygook

• November 01, 2010, 10:31:37 am
    • Busan
« Reply #321 on: February 23, 2015, 05:24:22 am »
Ive heard mixed things about lawyers. I hope u succeed.

Oh, by the way....3k? ^.^ awesome. Can you donate some.my way too? ^.^   (just kidding)

Nonono, we didn't go with a lawyer.

• oskinny1
  • Expert Waygook

• November 01, 2010, 10:31:37 am
    • Busan
« Reply #322 on: March 14, 2015, 11:54:46 pm »
From sending in the forms to receiving the green card took us 9 weeks while in the USA. This was done without a lawyer though there were quite a few sitting in the reception area waiting for the interviews.

I did this in Ohio so that could be what made things go a bit faster.

« Reply #323 on: March 21, 2015, 01:51:30 am »
Hi guys. We turned in our I-130 about 4 weeks ago.

When can we expect the e-mail for packet 3?

We turned in the I-130 at the Seoul embassy.

Thanks

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #324 on: March 21, 2015, 07:50:01 am »
Hi guys. We turned in our I-130 about 4 weeks ago.

When can we expect the e-mail for packet 3?

We turned in the I-130 at the Seoul embassy.

Thanks

You should get it soon. Within two more weeks I would say.

« Reply #325 on: March 21, 2015, 01:11:54 pm »

[/quote]

You should get it soon. Within two more weeks I would say.
[/quote]

Thanks.

We'll keep checking out e-mail every ten minutes for two more weeks.

Can't wait to get on an airplane home!

« Reply #326 on: March 22, 2015, 05:28:52 pm »
Hi everyone,

Myself and my husband will start the green card process soon. I'm Irish and he's American. I've been watching this thread for a while now and excited that we are finally beginning the process.
I'm just wondering, when you turn in the I-130 form do I need to bring my birth cert or will my passport suffice?
Thanks in advance!

« Reply #327 on: March 22, 2015, 08:33:08 pm »
I'm just wondering, when you turn in the I-130 form do I need to bring my birth cert or will my passport suffice?
Thanks in advance!

I'm a US citizen and my wife is Korean.

I had my birth certificate available and they didn't want it (for the initial I-130).

My wife does not have a birth certificate, and they didn't ask for hers (when submitting the initial I-130).

They did want the birth certificates of our children (when we first handed in the I-130).

• mogbert
  • Veteran

• October 25, 2010, 10:12:37 am
    • Goheung
« Reply #328 on: March 23, 2015, 06:45:11 am »
For taxes, did you guys have your spouses' information on them? My spouse doesn't work and I've been trying to figure out if I need her info on my taxes for the visa approval.

« Reply #329 on: March 23, 2015, 07:03:53 am »
For taxes, did you guys have your spouses' information on them? My spouse doesn't work and I've been trying to figure out if I need her info on my taxes for the visa approval.

I was told that I didn't need any of my wife's info when I filed my taxes.

She doesn't have a tax ID or social so she doesn't exist to the IRS yet.

I have kids and needed their SS numbers and that was it.

YMMV

• mogbert
  • Veteran

• October 25, 2010, 10:12:37 am
    • Goheung
« Reply #330 on: March 24, 2015, 09:37:09 pm »
Thanks.  So your wife was able to get a Visa approved?

There's an extra form that is available and the process is a hassle to get through to get a tax ID number for a non-US citizen spouse.  But I'm not sure if I absolutely have to do it or not.  It involves sending my passport to the closest office for the paperwork to be processed and in our case, that's Japan.

YMMV

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #331 on: March 25, 2015, 09:49:59 am »

YMMV

Any updates? You might wanna let the group know how long your total wait is once you get your PACKET-3.

« Reply #332 on: March 25, 2015, 12:13:43 pm »
Thanks.  So your wife was able to get a Visa approved?

There's an extra form that is available and the process is a hassle to get through to get a tax ID number for a non-US citizen spouse.  But I'm not sure if I absolutely have to do it or not.  It involves sending my passport to the closest office for the paperwork to be processed and in our case, that's Japan.

i can't think of a reason to file jointly. I don't think it will affect the visa process.

Anyone else?

---

I'm still waiting for packet 3. If it's not here. By Friday, I'll make an embassy appointment to get my passport renewed and pop in on the 2nd floor to ask that guy if he knows what's up.

« Reply #333 on: March 31, 2015, 04:15:43 pm »
Quick question: has anyone waited longer than 6 weeks for packet 3?

Thanks

EDIT: got it today. 6 weeks and a few days.

EDIT 2: preparing pack 3 interview docs

1) opened a U.S. Bank account today (will bring scans of bank info to interview)

2) have a letter of tenancy at our U.S. address

3) if they require an additional affidavit of support sponsor, can get it done within 24 hours

4) it looks like the health check appt., will take the longest amount of time in all of this

Will update
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:58:56 pm by justaguy »

« Reply #334 on: April 07, 2015, 12:00:38 pm »
Thanks for the information.
We had our first appointment yesterday and it went well. They did ask me for my birth certificate but luckily the one that my mom had posted arrived a few days beforehand. I think maybe I needed my birth cert because I'm not Korean.

Anyways now begins the waiting for our packet 3.

« Reply #335 on: April 07, 2015, 12:56:41 pm »
We had our first appointment yesterday and it went well. They did ask me for my birth certificate but luckily the one that my mom had posted arrived a few days beforehand. I think maybe I needed my birth cert because I'm not Korean.

I'm glad you had the birth certificate with you. They asked for my daughter's birth certificate and luckily I had brought EVERYTHING.

Just a heads up- we just scheduled the health check and the first appointment we could get is in 5 weeks! It looks like we won't be able to leave until the summer. I was hoping to spend some spring time touring around the states. Now we may be confined to a beach trip, but my family can't swim. Disney in Florida in the summer is 100% nope.

« Reply #336 on: April 08, 2015, 08:07:54 am »
Once all is said and done, your papers have been submitted, you have done the interviews and you have the green light to go ahead move into the US, how long do you have to leave Korea?

Meaning, are you given an allotted period of time to leave and move to the US or can you stick around Korea for a while and move to the states whenever you are ready.

Are you given a leave by blah blah date?

Just trying to think ahead here :) Thanks guys!

« Reply #337 on: April 08, 2015, 01:09:30 pm »
IIRC, you have to enter the U.S. within 6 months of being issued the visa.

http://www.immihelp.com/immigrant-visa/steps-after-immigrant-visa-interview.html

Edit: yes. Six months
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:16:57 pm by justaguy »

• Shinu
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2012, 09:23:25 am
    • Daegu
« Reply #338 on: April 09, 2015, 04:03:26 am »

I'm glad you had the birth certificate with you. They asked for my daughter's birth certificate and luckily I had brought EVERYTHING.

Just a heads up- we just scheduled the health check and the first appointment we could get is in 5 weeks! It looks like we won't be able to leave until the summer. I was hoping to spend some spring time touring around the states. Now we may be confined to a beach trip, but my family can't swim. Disney in Florida in the summer is 100% nope.

Geez...5 weeks?!  Have you tried calling the other hospitals on the list? 

« Reply #339 on: April 09, 2015, 12:06:04 pm »
Yes. Well, there are only two hospitals on the list in Seoul and the third hospital is in Busan.

What's a normal wait time? I've seen stories here saying start to finish was 3 months. It's going to run us into 5-6 months start to finish. I wish I started the process last year. Oh well.