Read 183359 times

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #300 on: December 18, 2014, 02:54:52 pm »
New Question: How did you proove domicile? We went in for our interview on the first week of this month and we got rejected for domicile purposes. Another friend of my wife's went in with the same exact circumstances, except that the girl was pregnant and that his parents co-signed the application. Is that something I should do?

The people at the embassy were literally of no help. Their paper said what kind of documents might help, but they stressed that even if we had all of them, it doesn't mean that we can pass or not.

What did you guys provide that I didn't? Thanks!

Damn. I'm sorry to hear that. We have our appointment in two weeks and I plan on bringing my drivers license, American bank account info, tax records and a written explanation about what I was doing abroad and what I intend to do when I get back. What did you bring with you?
I didn't bring anything since there was no information about that on my packet 3 checklist.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

« Reply #301 on: December 18, 2014, 02:58:00 pm »
For domicile i used my tax returns and bank statement. There should be a list of acceptable documents on the travel.state.gov site, or somewhere regarding the visa application. maybe even get a affidavit from family members?  sorry you ran into that hiccup. follow-up question... are you also having difficulty with your "Affidavit of Support"?  i think its form 864?  *i dont know the forms as well as i used to. its been about 4 months :-)

New Question: How did you proove domicile? We went in for our interview on the first week of this month and we got rejected for domicile purposes. Another friend of my wife's went in with the same exact circumstances, except that the girl was pregnant and that his parents co-signed the application. Is that something I should do?

The people at the embassy were literally of no help. Their paper said what kind of documents might help, but they stressed that even if we had all of them, it doesn't mean that we can pass or not.

What exactly did you show them on your bank statements? Your address?

« Reply #302 on: December 18, 2014, 03:13:54 pm »

Damn. I'm sorry to hear that. We have our appointment in two weeks and I plan on bringing my drivers license, American bank account info, tax records and a written explanation about what I was doing abroad and what I intend to do when I get back. What did you bring with you?
I didn't bring anything since there was no information about that on my packet 3 checklist.

Ah man. I think it was in the instructions for the actual form. I found it here:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Part 4, subsection 2

Any luck getting another appointment this month, or will you have to wait forever to go back in? It really just seems like you'll need to print out a few things that Iamrhart and I listed and you'll be okay. Good luck!

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #303 on: December 18, 2014, 10:25:30 pm »
For domicile i used my tax returns and bank statement. There should be a list of acceptable documents on the travel.state.gov site, or somewhere regarding the visa application. maybe even get a affidavit from family members?  sorry you ran into that hiccup. follow-up question... are you also having difficulty with your "Affidavit of Support"?  i think its form 864?  *i dont know the forms as well as i used to. its been about 4 months :-)

What exactly did you show them on your bank statements? Your address?

I didnt show them the Amount or the Account Number. just the address and bank address (so they knew it wasnt a fake bank). they didnt have a problem with it, but sometimes they see a paper, take it, and dispose of it. so i dont "know" 100% that theyused it.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

« Reply #304 on: December 19, 2014, 05:59:43 am »

Ah man. I think it was in the instructions for the actual form. I found it here:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

Part 4, subsection 2

Any luck getting another appointment this month, or will you have to wait forever to go back in? It really just seems like you'll need to print out a few things that Iamrhart and I listed and you'll be okay. Good luck!

I wonder how I totally missed that. I prepared for about four months to ensure that I had everything. I guess I better get my bank statement and everything else I can.

We won't be able to do it again until April. My wife actually works in Dubai, but she is Korean.

It is strange that the form that they gave me said nothing about bank statements or anything else this form said. They said I had to have a job and all that.

• johnpwessel
  • Adventurer

• February 25, 2013, 09:52:01 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #305 on: December 22, 2014, 07:11:07 pm »
My wife got approved for her visa today, from submitting the i-130 the process only took 42 days. Thanks to everyone that posted useful information and answered my questions.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #306 on: December 22, 2014, 11:48:27 pm »
My wife got approved for her visa today, from submitting the i-130 the process only took 42 days. Thanks to everyone that posted useful information and answered my questions.

Congrats!
now the "real journey" begins eh? hehehe
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

« Reply #307 on: December 23, 2014, 08:01:37 am »
My wife has her interview on Monday morning and I'm hoping you guys/gals can help me with something. I back filed my taxes for the 2011 and 2012 tax years about 4 months ago. The 2011 were accepted after about a month or so. After waiting another couple of months for the 2012 to be accepted, I called and asked them if there was an issue with my 2012 forms. The IRS man said that they had never received the 2012 form (even though they were in the same envelope as the 2011 forms  :evil: ) so I had to send them again. I sent them AGAIN in late November and they were received in early December.

As of today, they still have not been processed and I'm kind of worried. One of the parts of the I-864 form requests the 2013 tax transcript, which I have, and my income for the previous three years (from my tax records). So should I just list the amount that I filed for the 2012 tax year, or should I tell them that I've filed, but they haven't been processed yet?

I know none of you are Immigration Officers, but I'm just seeking some opinions on the matter.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

« Reply #308 on: December 23, 2014, 10:34:27 am »
My wife has her interview on Monday morning and I'm hoping you guys/gals can help me with something. I back filed my taxes for the 2011 and 2012 tax years about 4 months ago. The 2011 were accepted after about a month or so. After waiting another couple of months for the 2012 to be accepted, I called and asked them if there was an issue with my 2012 forms. The IRS man said that they had never received the 2012 form (even though they were in the same envelope as the 2011 forms  :evil: ) so I had to send them again. I sent them AGAIN in late November and they were received in early December.

As of today, they still have not been processed and I'm kind of worried. One of the parts of the I-864 form requests the 2013 tax transcript, which I have, and my income for the previous three years (from my tax records). So should I just list the amount that I filed for the 2012 tax year, or should I tell them that I've filed, but they haven't been processed yet?

I know none of you are Immigration Officers, but I'm just seeking some opinions on the matter.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

So long as you have sent them in and you have the forms with you, it shouldn't be a problem.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #309 on: December 23, 2014, 09:52:12 pm »
i suggest checking the IRS website constantly. they have an interactive area where you can even print off verification sheets.

« Reply #310 on: January 01, 2015, 03:49:38 pm »
Well, we went in for my wife's interview on Monday morning and I thought I would share our experience. We got there around 7:30 and were let in to the Embassy at that time. We were 4th in line that day and were called up to turn in our paperwork around 8:15 or so. The woman behind the counter (not the interviewer) seemed to really focus on my proof of domicile. I provided her with credit card and bank statements, a valid drivers license and proof that I had completed the online portion of a teacher training program in Texas (which I explained showed my intent to move back home). I also provided a written explanation of everything for her. She really focused on the teaching program and told me that it doesn't really provide domicile and that I should be prepared to answer more questions about my domicile during the interview.

About 30 minutes later they called us to the window again and told us to go downstairs and pay (I think we paid 390,000won). After we paid, we waited another 15 or 20 minutes and were called to the window again. This time, it was with the "interviewer." She asked my wife to swear that everything we submitted was truthful and asked us when we got married. After that she told us that her visa was approved and we'd be receiving it in the mail in a week. So simple, huh?!

My wife received her passport/visa yesterday afternoon and we are good to go now!! Thanks again to everyone that answered questions and helped us during this process. ;D

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #311 on: January 13, 2015, 07:54:03 am »
Well, we went in for my wife's interview on Monday morning and I thought I would share our experience. We got there around 7:30 and were let in to the Embassy at that time. We were 4th in line that day and were called up to turn in our paperwork around 8:15 or so. The woman behind the counter (not the interviewer) seemed to really focus on my proof of domicile. I provided her with credit card and bank statements, a valid drivers license and proof that I had completed the online portion of a teacher training program in Texas (which I explained showed my intent to move back home). I also provided a written explanation of everything for her. She really focused on the teaching program and told me that it doesn't really provide domicile and that I should be prepared to answer more questions about my domicile during the interview.

About 30 minutes later they called us to the window again and told us to go downstairs and pay (I think we paid 390,000won). After we paid, we waited another 15 or 20 minutes and were called to the window again. This time, it was with the "interviewer." She asked my wife to swear that everything we submitted was truthful and asked us when we got married. After that she told us that her visa was approved and we'd be receiving it in the mail in a week. So simple, huh?!

My wife received her passport/visa yesterday afternoon and we are good to go now!! Thanks again to everyone that answered questions and helped us during this process. ;D

Congrats. and see you soon (speaking as a US resident). glad the Visa interview was over...and now.... the Customs and Border Officer/Patrol/Agent guy. i have heard that Seattle is the best one to go to, as Chicago and NY are 'tougher'.  My wife and i went to SEA and i have heard others that went there. Very easy going guys there, were not aggressive at all. Very friendly.

« Reply #312 on: January 13, 2015, 09:48:18 am »

Congrats. and see you soon (speaking as a US resident). glad the Visa interview was over...and now.... the Customs and Border Officer/Patrol/Agent guy. i have heard that Seattle is the best one to go to, as Chicago and NY are 'tougher'.  My wife and i went to SEA and i have heard others that went there. Very easy going guys there, were not aggressive at all. Very friendly.

Unfortunately, we are locked into a Dallas arrival. What kind of questions did you get from the Customs and Border Officer/Patrol/Agent guy? I figure this guy/gal will be a lot more intimidating than the kind woman at the embassy. Anyway, thanks for the help on here!

• mmerza
  • Adventurer

• April 19, 2013, 11:12:46 am
« Reply #313 on: January 13, 2015, 12:46:08 pm »
Just keeping an eye on this thread.  Thanks. 

( Hoping to get my husband's Visa  by late February. )

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #314 on: January 13, 2015, 01:23:22 pm »

Unfortunately, we are locked into a Dallas arrival. What kind of questions did you get from the Customs and Border Officer/Patrol/Agent guy? I figure this guy/gal will be a lot more intimidating than the kind woman at the embassy. Anyway, thanks for the help on here!
if i remember correctly, he asked her her name, where she was from, had she ever been to the USA before, etc (etc. being questions that were already answered on the visa app.). The one that i laughed at/chuckled about was when he looked her straight in the face and said "just remember, in the US we all have to work, so you should find a job" (or something to that extent. I chuckled cause i had been on her (my wife) case about what she wanted to do when she gets to the USA, and she kept putting it off like "i can do whatever"  "i dont care" "i will be a home maker".....i am SO glad she didnt give that answer to the Embassy for the visa, and to the CB officer. That could have been bad.  And even now she is working, so it wasnt anything to worry about.  :undecided:

• toddc06
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2011, 10:37:54 am
    • Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #315 on: February 02, 2015, 12:57:28 am »

So I haven't checked this board in a while, and you may already be in the US, but we had a Dallas arrival and it took us less than 5 minutes to get through immigration.  We were in and out faster than the people just visiting/coming home.  We just went into another room, it was pretty late at night because our flight was delayed 5 hours, and we were the only ones there.  The customs people were probably the nicest immigration people I've spoken to.  They didn't even ask her any questions.  They just got her fingerprints and made small talk.  Very positive experience.

« Reply #316 on: February 02, 2015, 12:06:57 pm »
Hey guys! I would LOVE some advice. I am Canadian, just got engaged to an American guy.

We are thinking of staying in Korea for two more years.  Seeing as we have all this time, do you suggest we marry here ASAP  or marry closer to our departure date (maybe withing 6 months of departure date)? It doesn't really matter for us. We could do it now, or later.

We are planning on living in the states rather than in Canada.
I would LOVE some input on this! Thanks everyone!!

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #317 on: February 04, 2015, 09:43:26 am »
Hey guys! I would LOVE some advice. I am Canadian, just got engaged to an American guy.

We are thinking of staying in Korea for two more years.  Seeing as we have all this time, do you suggest we marry here ASAP  or marry closer to our departure date (maybe withing 6 months of departure date)? It doesn't really matter for us. We could do it now, or later.

We are planning on living in the states rather than in Canada.
I would LOVE some input on this! Thanks everyone!!

i think the answer for this would be based on preference, as most posters here are seeking advice on getting the Visa from the USA government, while in South Korea (whether they married to a korean, filipino, etc.).  SO, if you married your other and then proceeded to come to korea, and then wanted to get a USA visa, this thread would be helpful. 
my advice: search for the document you will need from the country-of-marriage. i married in the Philippines, and the USA government wanted a lot of documents from the Philippines. so just make sure you have all the documents that the process requires, and maybe even some that are not required.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

« Reply #318 on: February 06, 2015, 10:45:19 am »
BTW - we submitted our i-130 the day AFTER we got married - so you can do it as soon as you like! We didn't want to waste any time and I think they prefer that.

I am pretty sure that we did it the same day.

• oskinny1
  • Expert Waygook

• November 01, 2010, 10:31:37 am
    • Busan
« Reply #319 on: February 06, 2015, 11:19:50 am »
I am going through this but while we are in the USA.

The wife and I got married in the US Jan 2014 but we lived in Saudi until May. We thought we would be moving after a few months, but it hasn't happened yet. We went to Costa Rica in Nov and when we returned (she on a tourist visa) the immigration agent told us to get a visa sorted for her or there was a good chance she would not be allowed back in. "A tourist visa is for being a tourist and then going home, not for living in a country."

We were going to go with a lawyer but for $3,000 just to sort papers out and hold your hand while you interview seemed a bit steep and are handling it ourselves.

We sent out the package January 2 and got a notice of receipt Jan 7. The wife went for her fingerprints Jan 26 and we got notice for our interview date on Feb 3. The interview will be March 5. If everything goes to plan it will take us 2 months from start to finish.