Read 180106 times

• Monfab
  • Veteran

• October 04, 2012, 01:22:17 pm
    • Gimpo
Re: US Spousal Immigration Visa Thread
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2014, 12:05:13 pm »

I believe others have said you can do it yourself. check around page 7. that should show you the Record Check and the English translation.

That's awesome thanks. I also have one more question, in pack 3 it says

"You must obtain a police certificate from your country of nationality and
the country of your current residence if your presence there
was for 6 months or more after age 16. Police certificates from other countries
are also required if your stay was for 12 months or more after age 16."

I have, CRC from:

my country of nationality
Country of residence
And a CRC from Japan (I lived there for a couple of years)

My question is, I lived in Australia for 8 months. Am I right in thinking I don't need a CRC from there?

Is it your interview? or your partners' interview?
if your interview, then yes, you need the CRC, if the partner is going for the interview, then she/he will need the CRC from anywhere they lived (since the age of 16) for more than 6 months.

I believe others have said you can do it yourself. check around page 7. that should show you the Record Check and the English translation.

That's awesome thanks. I also have one more question, in pack 3 it says

"You must obtain a police certificate from your country of nationality and
the country of your current residence if your presence there
was for 6 months or more after age 16. Police certificates from other countries
are also required if your stay was for 12 months or more after age 16."

I have, CRC from:

my country of nationality
Country of residence
And a CRC from Japan (I lived there for a couple of years)

My question is, I lived in Australia for 8 months. Am I right in thinking I don't need a CRC from there?

Is it your interview? or your partners' interview?
if your interview, then yes, you need the CRC, if the partner is going for the interview, then she/he will need the CRC from anywhere they lived (since the age of 16) for more than 6 months.

It's for my interview. Balls. *Slightly panicking* are you sure? It says here,
"Police certificates from other countries are also required if your stay was for 12 months or more after age 16." I lived in Australia for 8 months. I'm from the UK and I went there on a working holiday visa. Is there a clause or something I've missed? Sorry to keep banging on about this.
Veni, Vidi, Vici.......... but I got a little cold

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #201 on: May 28, 2014, 12:09:49 pm »
im pretty sure its 6months+

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/submit/documents-to-submit-to-nvc.html

it does say something about 12months. but i am not chancing it. im taking one anyways.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:21:28 pm by iamrhart »
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• Monfab
  • Veteran

• Gimpo
« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2014, 12:28:35 pm »
When I woke up this morning I was sure I had everything prepared but now I'm not sure. Probably going to have to hold off on the interview until I get this other CRC. Thanks for your help iamrhart, and good luck in your interview mate.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #203 on: May 28, 2014, 02:15:54 pm »
thanks. how long does it take to get the CRC?

try to call them or send them an Email. it might be different than what i have interpreted it as.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:19:01 pm by iamrhart »
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

• Monfab
  • Veteran

• Gimpo
« Reply #204 on: May 29, 2014, 12:06:19 pm »
*UPDATE*

So I heard back from the visa folks today. They said that so long as you can prove that you were in a country for under 12 months (and you don't currently reside there) you don't need a criminal record check.

Fortunately, I have my old passport with me with my entrance and exit stamps. It seems, though, that they won't just take your word for it. You have to prove to them that you left the country when you say you did.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #205 on: May 29, 2014, 12:08:35 pm »
*UPDATE*

So I heard back from the visa folks today. They said that so long as you can prove that you were in a country for under 12 months (and you don't currently reside there) you don't need a criminal record check.

Fortunately, I have my old passport with me with my entrance and exit stamps. It seems, though, that they won't just take your word for it. You have to prove to them that you left the country when you say you did.

aside from having a Government Official stamp the passport when you leave, and having an entrance/exit stub (ticket), how would you prove it? it would come down to your 'word'...right? sometimes the paperwork gets very confusing. but thanks for letting us know about the time-limit rule

• Monfab
  • Veteran

• Gimpo
« Reply #206 on: May 29, 2014, 12:21:42 pm »
aside from having a Government Official stamp the passport when you leave, and having an entrance/exit stub (ticket), how would you prove it? it would come down to your 'word'...right? sometimes the paperwork gets very confusing. but thanks for letting us know about the time-limit rule

[/quote]

True, you'd think they'd make it easier, or at least clearer in the wording of things.

• Maureen
  • Veteran

• October 27, 2010, 11:48:32 am
« Reply #207 on: June 08, 2014, 09:51:51 pm »

We have been here a month and still no Green Card, but with the visa in the passport and stamp it has been no problem doing things.

A week or so after entering you should check with the social security office to see if they have an applications for you.  We checked the box on the application to do it automatically but when we called the social security office they said we did not have a completed application.  SS said the system is really sensitive and will often reject applications.  We went to the office and reapplied then got the card in a week.

So you can apply for a social security number without a green card? What documents did you have to bring? Translated marriage certificate? Notarized? Apostilled?

Asalchert@gmail.com :

Same question, what documents did you bring in to make his ssn?

P.s. Did anyone change their last name with their Korean marriage certificate? If so, did you have to get it notarized and apostilled? Thank you!!

« Reply #208 on: June 09, 2014, 07:46:13 am »
Hi all,outside of a Korean Law firm, is there anywhere else I can have my KNPC certified ? I  have all my docs,this is just the last thing that needs to still be done . Thanks!

« Reply #209 on: June 09, 2014, 07:50:07 am »
I was under the impression that having the original copy is a certified copy. You just need to get it translated and have a letter from the translator if they are a friend explaining their qualifications.

• Monfab
  • Veteran

• Gimpo
« Reply #210 on: June 09, 2014, 08:05:01 am »
I was under the impression that having the original copy is a certified copy. You just need to get it translated and have a letter from the translator if they are a friend explaining their qualifications.

This.

There are a bunch of places near the embassy, opposite the City office where you can get things translated and, if need be, certified and have an apostille attached. But for the police check you don't need it.

There are some translations of the docs you need on (or around) page 5 of this thread where you can put in your info and then take to your interview.

« Reply #211 on: June 09, 2014, 09:37:09 am »

This.

There are a bunch of places near the embassy, opposite the City office where you can get things translated and, if need be, certified and have an apostille attached. But for the police check you don't need it.

There are some translations of the docs you need on (or around) page 5 of this thread where you can put in your info and then take to your interview.

Ah thank you , I downloaded that, glad to know it is all I need.Interview next week!

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #212 on: June 16, 2014, 12:33:19 pm »
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I need help understanding what is needed for the Affidavit.

I need to get that first, yeah? Before we can sign the 훈인신고 but I live way way way out on an island and it is hard to get to Seoul easily.

I am curious how long does it take and what do I need to bring for the Affidavit to certify that I am eligable to marry? Thanks all!

« Reply #213 on: June 16, 2014, 12:45:05 pm »
There is a form you can download from the US embassy's website. Fill that out, sign it and bring that along with your passport or other documents proving that you are a US citizen. You can make an appointment to submit the affidavit by looking for "American Services" on the embassy's website.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

« Reply #214 on: June 16, 2014, 01:05:10 pm »
There is a form you can download from the US embassy's website. Fill that out, sign it and bring that along with your passport or other documents proving that you are a US citizen. You can make an appointment to submit the affidavit by looking for "American Services" on the embassy's website.

Cool. I couldn't find the paper but I will look harder. Other than my passport what do I actually need? I have no idea what the other documents are. Thanks.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2014, 01:41:19 pm »
Ok, I found the paper, however, I am still confused on the procedure. Am I just applying for a notary for this document? Is that a same-day process? Or do I have to give it time? I am asking because I have to take time off of work to go there.

• Shinu
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2012, 09:23:25 am
    • Daegu
« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2014, 02:17:51 pm »
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I need help understanding what is needed for the Affidavit.

I need to get that first, yeah? Before we can sign the 훈인신고 but I live way way way out on an island and it is hard to get to Seoul easily.

I am curious how long does it take and what do I need to bring for the Affidavit to certify that I am eligable to marry? Thanks all!

Are you talking about the Affidavit for Eligibility for Marriage?

If you are, all the info you need is here:

http://seoul.usembassy.gov/acs_getting_married.html#american

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2014, 02:54:23 pm »

Yeah the Affidavit for Eligibility of Marriage. That site almost had everything I needed, but the amount of time required for the notary I was confused about. I contacted the embassy and they said it is a same-day service, which is what I was looking for. I have to take off time from work to go there if I cannot do it during my vacation, so that is what I worried about.

I found the paper needed on the website and everything seems good to go, but the only American photo ID I have is my passport. Will a Korean ARC or Korean driver's license work?

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #218 on: June 16, 2014, 06:16:33 pm »
Went in for the interview.
we were first in line. we arrived at 7am, and after we got there, maybe a minute or two, others started to line up. guard came out and said "are you here for ___" (he was making sure we were in the right line). we showed him our letters and he said the doors would open at 7:30.  Doors opened promptly at the time he said.

we go in, get our tickets to be called, etc.

Some tips on the interview:
as others mentioned, bring originals and copies over every possible documents you can think of.  In our case we didnt need to have any of them, except the photos (which was listed in the 'checklist of required documents). i think that is because the NVC requested all documents when we sent the I-130 to the USCIS in the USA.

I have/had been working on this Visa for over a year now, we went with the NVC application, using the Mail-System, sending to USCIS etc.  I highly recommend that NO ONE does this.

ah, feels good.

*also, there were about 14 couples there, they startedcalling people at 8:00, we were out of there by around 9:15 9:30, so try to be "#1" in line. haha
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 06:33:06 pm by iamrhart »

• Shinu
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2012, 09:23:25 am
    • Daegu
« Reply #219 on: June 18, 2014, 01:34:54 pm »

Yeah the Affidavit for Eligibility of Marriage. That site almost had everything I needed, but the amount of time required for the notary I was confused about. I contacted the embassy and they said it is a same-day service, which is what I was looking for. I have to take off time from work to go there if I cannot do it during my vacation, so that is what I worried about.

I found the paper needed on the website and everything seems good to go, but the only American photo ID I have is my passport. Will a Korean ARC or Korean driver's license work?

I'm not sure bc I think i sued my American driver's license. If that's all you have, then you really have no choice but to use them.  You might have to call them again to double check.