Read 2386 times

For those who craft...
« on: July 18, 2013, 03:40:47 pm »
Where do you get supplies?

I have places to order my yarn and all, but I'm looking for some decent quality felt for making toys/playmats.  All the felt in Korea is so plastic-y and hard, I can't really use it for shaping and sewing.  I'm also looking for embroidery thread but I'm having trouble finding a good quality of that too.

And things like wreath frames.  I always stock up on stuff when I'm visiting home, but inevitably I run out.

• C.Dennis
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2010, 12:22:24 pm
    • Wando, Korea
Re: For those who craft...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 05:14:30 pm »
I know this answer doesn't amount to much more than "look online" but hopefully there's something here that you find useful.

I'm not big into string, wool or wreath-based crafts, but when I am looking for craft items I've found there are two places I get the bulk of my supplies:
1. http://shopping.naver.com and/or http://english.gmarket.co.kr
2. Random mom-and-pop marts and DC shops I wander into for fun, along with "office supply" stores.

The mom and pop marts and office stores tend to have random individual items, so you'll have to just see what your luck turns up, and remember where you saw it.

Online resources are a LOT easier to find things, but I've found my success rate goes way, way up if I can find a name brand for the item I'm looking for. Even the "generic" name of certain supplies can net you surprising results. A lot of searching on Naver and Shopping.Naver.com will usually yield a korean somewhere who is into the craft you are who posted a blog about finding your item in Korea.

Best of luck!

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:34:10 am »
I'm not sure if you live in/near Seoul/ Gyonggi-do, but by far the best craft store I have found for supplies is Alpha. Now they have many stores, but most are small. You need to go to their big one (I think it's their headquarters) which is in Namdaemoon Market (spelling ???) in Seoul. It has like 7 different floors with tons of paper, paints, modeling, etc. If I remember right they did have rolls of felt in different colors, as my wife bought some, but I can not say for sure about the embroidery thread. About the thread through, I do remember really close to Alpha being a thread store with lots of it, but I never went in, so can't say for sure about the types they have.

Again, though, I have been to many craft stores in Korea and either they are very specific niches or are just too small to have what you need. But Alpha, the big one, is the best yet.

Not sure if you're American, but man do I miss having a Michael's Craft store, hahaha

• amya
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2011, 09:55:40 am
    • Yeoju
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 09:05:36 am »
There might be more supplies that you think in some of the stores in your town. In my town there are two school supply stores that have a second floor that has more crafty supplies, felt, large paper, paint, water color, basic yarn and needlepoint colors. There's also a yarn store where many older women group at. Just ask around. Good Luck!

• csmeltz
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2012, 09:39:26 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 10:24:21 am »
You could also try Hottracks. It's a hodgepodge stationary store with paints, canvases, clay tools, and other random art supplies. You can usually find them in or near Kyobo Bookstores.

http://www.hottracks.co.kr/ht/welcomeMain

• glb0b
  • Expert Waygook

• July 06, 2010, 03:02:56 pm
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:25:41 pm »
If you are anywhere near Daegu, check out S-dot and Dada both of which are in downtown.

S-dot has the best range of craft stuff I have seen in Korea.